• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wyo: Mountain Lion Attacks Pet Llama's in back yard

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've always wondered what you do with pet Llamas, Alpacas or other such semi-exotics. We've got a few in this area at a local small farm. Some day I'll have to inquire.
Mountain lion kills llama in Alta, Wyo.
A second llama is still missing, owner asks for help finding the animal.

http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/print.php?art_id=5458&pid=news

By Cory Hatch, Jackson Hole, Wyo.
Date: December 30, 2009

A male mountain lion attacked and killed a llama at a private residence off State Line Road in Alta during the weekend before the owner shot the cat dead Monday as it fed on the llama’s carcass.

Another llama is missing, and the owner is asking people for help with finding the animal.

Alta resident Lou Centrella said he found his roughly 10-year-old llama “Grayson” dead, and another llama “Frito” missing, at about 9 a.m. Sunday. Centrella called a deputy from the Teton County Sheriff’s Office, and they concluded that a mountain lion had killed the llama from the tracks, which showed an animal that appeared to be leaping.

“That’s how we concluded it was a lion,” said Centrella from his home in Alta. “What else jumps 10 feet?”

At 7:15 a.m. Monday, Centrella said he received a call from one of his neighbors that there was a mountain lion in his front yard feeding on the llama carcass. “My heart was going nuts,” he said. “I walked into the kitchen and, sure enough, there he was. I had one shoe off and no underwear.”

Centrella said he called the sheriffs office for guidance.

“The deputy called back and said ‘Shoot it,’ ” Centrella said. “The cat was prone, eating on the llama. They had the same colored fur. When I put the scope on him, I couldn’t tell them apart.”

Centrella said he eventually did get off a successful shot, but he wasn’t happy that he had to kill the animal. He said he was worried that the cat now had a taste for llama, and that he wouldn’t be able to raise the pack animals at his home anymore.

“It hurt me to shoot that guy,” he said. “He was gorgeous. He was a big male. All he was trying to do was make a living. It’s Wyoming. It’s wild. It’s why we live here.”

Wyoming Game and Fish Jackson Area Game Warden Jerry Longobardi retrieved the cat’s carcass. The cat, he said, appeared healthy, was two- to four-years-old and about 120 pounds. Longobardi said Centrella had every right to shoot the animal.

“Under state law, the landowner can take a mountain lion or a black bear causing damage,” he said.

Another Game and Fish official said Centrella likely would be compensated for the loss of at least one llama.

Centrella said he’s asking the public for help finding Frito, and said the remaining llama, Miss Philip, is “freaked out” and misses the companionship of the other animals.

“[Frito] is a black llama with a white forehead,” he said. “It doesn’t answer to anything.”

“Back in Peru, the mountain lion, they’re called pumas, that’s [a llama’s] worst enemy,” Centrella said. “I think there’s some kind of atavistic thing. I think that the presence of the lion sent all three of them nuts.”​

But the good news is that Frito has been recovered and has returned home on the end of a tether.
Wyoming llama back at home after cougar attack

Saturday, January 2, 2010
ALTA, Wyo. (AP) — Frito the llama defied his name and didn't get eaten.

Lou Centrella seemed sure that was Frito's fate after a mountain lion killed another of his llamas on Sunday. Frito was nowhere to be found after the attack on the other llama, named Grayson.

On Monday, the cougar returned to the Centrellas' yard in western Wyoming to feed on the llama it had killed. Concerned the big cat may have acquired a taste for llama, Centrella shot it.

Wildlife officials say he was within his rights, but Centrella says he felt bad about killing the mountain lion.

Centrella and his daughters Lane and Mila went looking for Frito on Wednesday. They found him four miles away, across the state line in Driggs, Idaho.

They put a rope on the errant llama and led him home through the snow.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100102/NEWS7035/100109981/-1/FOSNEWS0416

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Primarily folks around here raise alpaca for the wool.
They also make decent "watchdogs".
Llama are very good "sheepdogs", can be ridden, or used as pack animals if you can acclimate them to humans early enough.
either one is also edible - but most folks who raise them shudder at the idea.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well the farm here that has them also has some Ostriches and Emu. I know that Ostrich is valuable for the meat and is served at many nicer restaurants, but I've never seen Llama or Alpaca on a menu. Now as for Alpaca wool, yup, that I've seen, as well as Alpaca fur blankets, coats, etc.

But I'm not aware of any commercial purpose for Llama (or for that matter Emu). Then again, I've never bothered to look into it either.

BoneheadNW

Several farms around here have Llamae (plural of Llama for those of you that studied latin:whistling:) and Alpacae. The biggest threat to them in these parts are neighbors' dogs running free and attacking the animals in their own yard. Some of these dogs have been shot, just like the Mountain Lion was, and the dogs owners were angry that they weren't contacted first to retrieve their dogs!
Bonehead

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dogs,coyotes,lion,bear that enter a confinement (pasture) after livestock are legally killed. I once had to shoot a pair of dogs that mauled one goat and were chasing others. Was a big pissing contest with the owner of the dogs but the law was clear. It is not an issue if you own a backhoe!