• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Trackmaster 4t4

AKdadio

Trackmaster 4t4 for sale, listed as $13,900. Sorry, no pic. I am looking for a larger rig (than an Imp) now and had been focusing on skidozer, spryte, something like that. Any input on the Trackmaster from the group? This one looks to be in pretty good shape. How do they do? any specs? know the ground pressure? ideas on price?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Trackmaster 4t4 for sale, listed as $13,900. Sorry, no pic. I am looking for a larger rig (than an Imp) now and had been focusing on skidozer, spryte, something like that. Any input on the Trackmaster from the group? This one looks to be in pretty good shape. How do they do? any specs? know the ground pressure? ideas on price?

OK...NOT!!!! $13,900? That person is sucking on the back end of a turbo charger after hitting the crack pipe.

Forget that deal. It doesn't matter how good the condition is!

You can get a very nice condition 10 passenger wide-track Spryte for $10K even with low hours.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe not 10K but I know of one for 14K and is in good shape! The problem with the 4t4 is they sink like a rock! They were never known as a good snow machine unless the snow was under 12". BUT I would let Mainer tell you all about it since he actually owns and operates one. My 10 passenger Thiokol Spryte 1202B puts down about 0.48 psi. Thats pretty damn good for even deep deep powder!

AKdadio

Thanks guys, great feedback. This is the wrong direction for me. Looking for my lighter footprint, machine located in Alaska would be nice to find. SnowcatOps, I PM'd you.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Darryl,
I thought about the same thing until I stumbled across an Air Force Manual that stated 1.?? I believe it was 1.40. But it has been years. That could have been loaded PSI. Either way they do sink like a rock in the Powder. Does anyone have that video of the one trying to climb that little hill with about 3 feet of snow? I know someone here posted it.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Darryl,
Does anyone have that video of the one trying to climb that little hill with about 3 feet of snow? I know someone here posted it.

I luv this video :thumb: :thumb: ... keeps me warm at night. :boobies: :boobies: :boobies:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=259972213427415746&hl=en

You can download it too, of course...its 106 MB at 320x240. Just need the google player.

You will see here just how much of an anchor the Trackmasters and 601's are... remember, it wasn't bad design... they were designed for parts recovery during rocket engine tests so had to go into odd places carrying scientists in some instances and carrying cargo in others. Snow wasn't really front and center and then they found the market.

Note too that this one has the extra traction grousers too! Watch it dig into mother earth as it sinks into oblivion. But it still rocks in my book!!!!!

Anyway, even though I like it... I hate it... because I know how everyone is gonna start calling these things 'the lead weight' or 'floats like moon rock' or 'doubles as an anchor for the QE2' , etc...

But they're still my favorite! They're fine for me in Maine because of the nasty East-coast snow we get (read: Skiing sucks in comparison to Tahoe...I used to live in San Francisco so hit Tahoe regularly). They look more 'tank-like' to me so I like 'em. :2gunsfiri

I may need to break down and get a wide-track spryte for the once-in-5-years 3 foot dump in Maine. I think I can rationalize that purchase in some way... Mikey can give me his book of 'wife-rationalizations' (probably some money to be made there in a novel Mike). :tiphat: :respect:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
LOL. Yah I do have a great wife. BUT its not her decision one way or another.

I LOVE the 601 and 4T4 (except for that funk twin diffs) Anyway they are one of the coolest looking rigs around! I may just get one to run around here in the summer! Anchors they are but as you said they were never really designed to roam in the Great White Outback! Its amazing they do as well as they do. As long as the surface is flat. Here in Nevada we have more mountain ranges than all of the other States combined! Hell we even have places people havent been to yet.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for posting the video! I couldnt find it. Now to get a nice video camera for this winters up and coming STUCK Kristi Recovery season!:yum: And you thought the 601s were rocks!

Attachments

• DSCF0001 2.JPG
    DSCF0001 2.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 459
  • DSCF0003 2.JPG
    DSCF0003 2.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
601s...even a beached whale can still be beautiful! Ya just gotta drag it back into its own backyard once in a while. :thumb: :respect:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
On Ebay now. They really do not know what they are selling...:yum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290146427808#description

Current bid:US $2,221.00

d7d1_12.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Military Weasel Vehicle....or ? [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vehicle Description [/FONT]
This vehicle is all complete, but one of the turning levers needs to be bled, it has no steering fluid.
Multi purpose vehicle....for snow, mud or whatever you want !!!
This a very rare animal...... Good Luck !!!!

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter

These guys are smoking crack big time. Look at the response to a question and they are trying to jack up the price...I can only imagine what the reserve is... get this (just pulled it from the eBay site...not a response to me):

"Thank you for your e-mail.... More Information from the Military: Name: Carrier, Cargo P/N: MA1095 NSN: 2350-01-091-1600 US Army Tank Automotive Command Description: Carrier, Cargo, Flat Bed, with Cab, 4 passengers, size 2 Recent procurement Hystory: Canadian Commercial Corp. Sep 1, 1998 1ea. $ 118,000.00 USD contract Number: DAAE0798CN003 6 Cylinder-gas engine/Industrial, Ford Motor Co. Tire/tracks/Rear Gear box/independent hand turning/2 ea hydraulic./all terrain semi amphibious. WT: 8000 Lbs L: 13 feet/ W: 8 feet 2 inches/ H: 8 feet Thank you & I hope this helps everybody..."

:pat: :puke1: :5boobs: :moon: :smileywac

Oh yea... $118K in 1998 for a similar unit but then they went on to say that this particular unit was bought for $89 K!!! in 1987.

WHAT???? Yea, I know, between Mattracks prices and the cost of a NASA trash bin.... I got a hell of a roll of toilet paper to sell the US Gov't. Man, that is outrageous...

One photo too... no hours or miles data... hmmmm...:4_11_9:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I love the part "SEMI AMPHIBIOUS"! Does that mean it does sink not as fast as compared to an anchor???? They are indeed smoken crack! BUT the TRUE crack smoker is the fool that buys it for 10K!

How many times have your heard "well it ran when I parked it there" YAH back in oh I would say ahhh 1952 or so! Should start right up for you when you get it home. Should be real easy. I would but uhhh my backs not what it use to be and ahhhhh BLAH BLAH blah. All you need is a battery and some fresh gas. Blah blah blah

AKdadio

Thanks Mainer, new question(s)- do you know the wieghts of the 4t4/10/Rangemaster? Is the RangeMaster a 601? I was thinking these would be 8-9000 lbs with full cabs, filled tires, full gastank, etc.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
On Ebay now. They really do not know what they are selling...:yum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290146427808#description

Current bid:US $2,221.00

View attachment 15248

Hey, the guys that bought this puppy for $10K are looking to sell it. They want around $11,500...on the low end...they may want more. That was after we had a 'sharing' discussion so they may be looking to get $12-15K. All of those are too rich for my blood. Personally, I don't think they'll get it and I think $10K was way high...but what the hey! If anyone is interested let me know and I'll put you in touch. Came back to me through an around-about loop. Kinda funny. The guys are located in Kentucky or something like that. Needed some new cylcinders, etc...

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Mainer, new question(s)- do you know the wieghts of the 4t4/10/Rangemaster? Is the RangeMaster a 601? I was thinking these would be 8-9000 lbs with full cabs, filled tires, full gastank, etc.

From another post I'd put up...some TM data... I'll dig for some 4T4 data...if I have it I'll put it up tomorrow. The Rangemaster is a 601...just has all-day running lights. :rolleyes: They found that a special Canadian 'Green camo' version attracted outdoorsy women. Candian women and female rangers in nearby states like Maine often find themselves unable to resist a man driving a Rangemaster or a 601 (unless you're riding next to Boggie's rig). There was one time in the back woods of Maine where I came across this blonde female ranger in shorts that loved 601's ... but then once she saw the dual-shaft design of a 4T10 she knew she'd been missing out with 601's... she was really impressed. Said that they looked much more accessible to work with. Then I woke up. :boobies: :yum:

On a serious note... if you're still thinking about buying that 4T4 for that much cash...whew! Dunno.

Other post: The documentation I have only shows 'officially blessed' models as:
4T2N/W, 4T4N/W, 4T8N/W, 4T10N/W so the '12' may be just as you stated as a custom request with more seats...although I can't see a huge amount of room past the '10' but maybe everyone wasn't as fat as the national average is now.

Where the N and W are physically different models based on the width of the chassis as it was used to obtain the right 'float' to suit the conditions. The chassis was either 'Narrow' or 'Wide'. Wide was for bare-ground conditions with narrower tracks while the Narrow was just the opposite...snow with wider tracks.

So, the 4T10 design ground pressure is 0.78 psi while the 4T2 is 0.68 based on empty weight. Weight of the 4T2 is 4410 and the 4T10 is 5060. Length of all the Trackmasters was 142" so that would be the interesting 'acid test' on yours as a 'Limited Edition' ...is it actually longer than 142"? Distance betweeen the front and rear axle is 90.5". That would be interesting if they actually made an extended length cab. If it's the same 142" then it sounds like they squeezed in a midget or two

AKdadio

Mainer- Dual shafts only attract some woman- usually while under the influence.

Anyway, I am no longer in the market for a tree-smasher, but I know someone who is and I wan't to give him accurate info. I was thinking the weights were WAYYYYYY north of the ones you posted.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Where the N and W are physically different models based on the width of the chassis as it was used to obtain the right 'float' to suit the conditions. The chassis was either 'Narrow' or 'Wide'. Wide was for bare-ground conditions with narrower tracks while the Narrow was just the opposite...snow with wider tracks. [/quote said:
Mainer do you know if the 601's came with different chassis width or was that just 4t models?

Attachments

• 066c.jpg
    066c.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 222

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Mainer do you know if the 601's came with different chassis width or was that just 4t models?

That's one of the questions I'm working to find the answer to as well... I have a couple of folks in discussion right now on this. :argueing: My gut tells me that the N-W chassis was only for the Trackmaster but let's see...

That photo you posted... so the rear window is unique and it seems to be some version of 601. Is that a 601 chopped? or is it a 602? The window does not appear correct for a 602. I thought it may be a 4T2 fitted with an OC15 and running gear but that's not a 4T2 either...unless modified as that chassis is not correct nor the rear window. So, if I were to put my money on it then it's probably a modified 601. ?

I have to admit though... I'm about to buy two chopped 601's and a regular 601. Someone help me... a three step program... maybe even a 6-step program?! :pirate:

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Remember how some guys cut the center post out of the rear window in their '63 Corvettes? Well, that's not what happened here. It's a modified 601 but at least it was done nicely with a curved roof line. I have some steel sideboards for it that I think will make it look pretty sharp when I get around to the rebuild. I like the 603 looks so I guess I'll have a clone. Sure like that 4T2 of yours. That being said I'm free of the originality constraints and open to make changes to this one. Where (and why?) are you finding all these 601's? Alaska? Isn't it about time to add some gallery pix?

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Remember how some guys cut the center post out of the rear window in their '63 Corvettes? Well, that's not what happened here. It's a modified 601 but at least it was done nicely with a curved roof line. I have some steel sideboards for it that I think will make it look pretty sharp when I get around to the rebuild. I like the 603 looks so I guess I'll have a clone. Sure like that 4T2 of yours. That being said I'm free of the originality constraints and open to make changes to this one. Where (and why?) are you finding all these 601's? Alaska? Isn't it about time to add some gallery pix?

Yea, that curved roof line threw me hard. Started salivating thinking about the quality job that was done as opposed to the usual pop-rivet bent-lip dealio. I have to admit that as much as I like to keep original I do agree that its very kewl once the whole thing opens up...boom... then a person can really make it theirs...exactly how they like!

I'm sure you saw that Yellow 4T2 that said "Why not?" on it. That rocked. You can see they probably had difficulty in finding original grousers so went straight tubing. Possible that track design may be an improvement on speed...who knows. Once you get up to speed the track traction may act negatively for speed. Maybe not.

Well, I like the style and history of the 601... I like the hatch on top and the Air Force adoption of the design...and also the need to be an ATV and when necessary a snowcat. So, its different that way. At the same time it doesnt do as well in powder as we've all discussed...but in Maine...who cares. Ain't that much powder. Unlike the Mikester, I'm purely acquiring them to collect for me (I still think he's got some secret plan he's not letting us in on besides the obvious one he discusses...I just have this itchy feeling he's planning some sort of snowcat invasion). That's it...well, to collect and really cherry out over the years and then hand them down. I also like the Trackmaster and 601's because they can hold 8 people and its not by bolting on a big box on the back...its a nicely integrated design. I've gotten my fill of collecting and restoring classic cars... just isnt anywhere near as cool as cats. I even contemplate selling cars to fund the cat addiction...but I've put too much into them to sell them...I could sell every car I bought and restored for more than I paid but now I'm emotionally attached to the dang things! :cry:

I'm in the 'logistical nightmare' stage of getting the new cats into my hands. Always such a hastle and always...WEST coast... bummer. I dont want to transport them during the winter so I'm trying to get it all going before winter which is very near term...or I'll have to wait until next year and the owners are all kind enough to let me keep them on their grounds until I'm ready to transport. I havent bought from commercial dealers yet but thats just chance... I probably would.

What I really want to do is a road trip like BPierce and Mikey. THAT would rock. I'd return home broke though. :pat: :pat: :pat:

I have passed up both Trackmasters and 601's from people that are smoking crack thinking that they are worth a mountain of cash...we all know they ain't. They typically sell between 2,500 and 6,000 when they are in running condition. They're worth more as parts but its rare to find people that even need the parts so that doesnt really work out to do. The pimped cat on eBay was an exceptionally high selling price (25K) for obvious reasons...that cat was purchased on eBay before it was pimped for 2,500. It was neon-lime-green.

I also just like finding stuff at deal prices...like we all do I guess.

socal4t12

if you find any of those "west coast" 4t-trackmasters or 601's let me know. im also in the market for any and all 4t/601 parts that come up.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
if you find any of those "west coast" 4t-trackmasters or 601's let me know. im also in the market for any and all 4t/601 parts that come up.

I will. I'm working on ...get this... "either" a 4T10 or 601 (the seller doesn't know which it is and doesn't care to bother with the discussion on the differences or tags or anything ...but can't be motivated to move it but doesn't want much cash for it...you know the type), for about $500 bucks! Gulp! It's a long drawn out process. That one is West coast. I'm working on a 602 with about 350 original hours on it...that's Mid-West.

The one I really, really, really want.... I will plan to work on over a five year period... that mint 601... enclosed in a timewarp box for 30 years and released with a handful of hours on it. Crazy find. Current owner enjoys it but may let it go in a few years and says he'll give me first dibs on it. Could just be teasing me ... but it could be worth it!

I love the finds and hunting this stuff down... it's too interesting with such a wide variety of personalities of people! I think the one that's taken the cake is the Army 602 with the shark's teeth on it coming around through the grape vine to me... I won't go into details but it's pretty ridiculous what some people think these things are worth...and what they spend thinking that! :toilet:

socal4t12

ill take that west coast cat if your unable to get it due to the distance. dont worry, it will go to a good home.

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
The latest 601 addition...

Attachments

• Th601_Arctic.jpg
    Th601_Arctic.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 201