• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

200 Pound Propane Tank

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a 200 pound propane tank which I use for my gas fireplace only. It was owned by a local propane dealer who has gone out of business.

I would like to get it filled as I do every other year. My question is who now owns the tank? I did not know the company went out of business. They never sent me any notification.

I am going to call around to other propane dealers tomorrow but would like some input from you guys here before I do.

Maybe I own it now. :biggrin: They cost around 400 bucks new if one were to buy one. :biggrin:

Trakternut

Just to be clear; did they, outright, close their doors, or, did they sell out to another company?
They may have sold their inventory to another dealer, which means your tank belongs there too. I'd check into it carefully. Even though they didn't notify you, there's no proof that they didn't.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i work in the buisness if they sold out to another company they now own it generaly they have a small lease attached to them if the company just closed up you now own it you also may need to have it inspected and recertified one of our local lpg companys did just that decided they wer no longer going to service lpg the owners just inherited the tanks some we will refill others out out of inspection date an we will not refill

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I keep coming back to this thread for some reason.
First, a 200# tank is NOT a standard size that I've ever seen. I've never seen that available to the "public" so I'll therefore conclude that anyone that comes to fill it will know or assume it's owned by someone but you.
That said, just call around and see if someone will fill it. Be prepared for rejection if A) it's not their tank and B) it's older then 12 years old.
If nobody will fill it, stash it aside since sooner or later someone will lay claim to it.

There's some good deals now-and-then on Craigslist and Costco for 100# tanks. A good new price is $90-110 and on Craigslist, I've heard as low as $10. You can buy and fill those all day long without question.

SShepherd

I have a 100lb tank I run my forge off of. I got it at a place that went under, but refills are easy- I take it to the local RV place that fills tanks

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
My son has a 200 lb tank. Squatter and more round, about the height of a 100Lb tank. A friend has a chuckwagon on a permanent lot. Her tank is 200LB. So I'm not sure there is a problem with the size. Just whether or not it is certified for use and yes, less than 12 years old.

I would call another local supplier and ask them if they will fill it. Likely they know who now owns the tanks from the now defunct competitor. It very likely could be you.

The fittings are universal so any supplier could just fill it for you. Likely with no questions asked.