• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Geo snowcat

louisnord

Re: Geo Tracker Groomer

:bonk: Hey. Have seen that Geo Groomer before. I have been using a Geo Tracker as a groomer for a few seasons. It is outfitted with Mattrack Lightfoots. When conditions are right, it works great. Not so good at other times. Need a variety of devices for differing conditions.

Where is Red Green when you need him?

Attachments

• Lou's Groomers sm.jpg
    Lou's Groomers sm.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 667
  • Tracker Groomer Front sm.jpg
    Tracker Groomer Front sm.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 656
  • Bombi Lou sm.jpg
    Bombi Lou sm.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 617

bwinchester

I have a GEO Tracker groomer. Does you know anybody that has put hydraulic steering on their unti? Trying to get some specs.
bwinchester

louisnord

Thanks for the inquiry. Do you own the one that was in New England, posted on Ebay last year??

Do you mean hydraulic ram steering a drag on the back, or power steering the vehicle? I believe the Trackers used in Maine or New York did have ram steering. Likely they installed a snow plow electric hydraulic system on the vehicle.

Wouldn't be very hard to install a pump on the engine where the air conditioning unit is mounted. I don't have any such hydraulics on mine, though I had one made up (electric pump) with a reservoir, but never installed it.

Good luck with yours. Any pictures or stories??

Lou

bwinchester

Lou-My Tracker was not on ebay. I bought it three years ago and had Bruce Milliken set it up with tracks. We use it to groom about 20 miles of trail in central Maine. But steering has been a real problem. We tried adding an oil cooler to it, but the power steering just does not seem to handle the load. So I want to put a hydraulic ram on it. Trying not to reinvent the wheel, which is why I am looking to see if somebody has speced it out. As far as as a picture, those are on my office computer but if you go to "gardinerridgeriders.com", my Tracker is on the home page. Any info you have would be appreciated.
Brian Winchester

louisnord

Brian,
I added an oil cooler to the transmission as well. One more thing I did was to wire the electric cooling fan to a switch on the dash so that I could turn it on continuously while grooming if overheating or moving slowly. Seems to work pretty well to help things out.

Steering is another thing. Simply can't try to turn the wheel when not moving. Your tracks have more surface area on the ground than mine, which makes it even tougher I am sure. Ram steer would probably work OK. Try installing live hydraulics off a pump mounted where the air compress is suppose to be mounted. You will constantly be steering the drag with ram steer.

One issue though, is that you have 4 sets of tracks on the ground (like on a Tucker Snocat) so that I doubt the ram steer will aim you towing vehicle like it would with a double tracked groomer like a Bombi or PB. Perhaps try pulling a shorter grooming drag that drags around corners easier, or lift it up on sharper corners so that only the compression plate is on the trail surface rather than the length of the drag rails.

For what I do, I get a heap of grooming done in deeper snow with just a roller first, then use an 84" Ginzu Grooming drag (www.yellowstonetrack.com) when snow is not so deep or firmer or needs renovating.

Good luck with it. Your vehicle is :thumb:in better looking shape than mine these days, but it still works OK when I need it.

Lou

bwinchester

Lou-The problem with the steering is not control, its that the power steering gets overloaded and does not work. So I end up doing "armstrong" steering, which is hard where the trail is narrow and curvy.