• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alaska earth quake....

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got off the phone with Don, aka Snowtrac nome, and he says they didn't feel it up there.

Just hope our members in Anchorage are ok, and have little damage.

7.0 is a far cry from the 9.0 in 1964 that area experienced, as the curve of energy released is an exponential curve.. The 64 quake released roughly 4 times the energy of today's event.. Still it looks like some damage to roads and buildings, not good this time of year, as days are very short and the ground has frozen up..

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, I heard about this Kirk.
Betcha we have some catters on here who are near as well.
Hopefully they're all alright.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just got this from my sister. She came back from AK a couple days ago.

Damage is still mounting in Wasilla and Anchorage. Roads and bridges out. Airport closed indefinitely. Texted with the guy I met on the plane going up and he is now stranded there indefinitely. Chelsie and John had a lot of damage at their house and kids got sent home due to gas leak at school. Many aftershocks that have been 5.0 and up. They are not feeling safe right now and are now without heat as they turned their gas line off due to aftershocks.

Bamby

Anchorage Daily News.

2J2ZB4GHB5BARD4G7FINKQ3NSU.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I hear providence hospital lost 2 stories and matsu regional hospital caught on fire several schools had roofs collapse, gas leaks every whear and electrical service is down anchorage wide.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
J
7.0 is a far cry from the 9.0 in 1964 that area experienced, as the curve of energy released is an exponential curve.. The 64 quake released roughly 4 times the energy of today's event.

Kirk, I think that it's a logarithmic scale. So the difference between a 7 and an 8 is 10 times worse. The difference between a 7 and a 9 is 100 times more energy being released. Having said that, I'm going to stay in Texas where the only tremors we feel is when the Cowboys actually win a game.