• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Roundup

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
About two weeks ago it was fairly warm out, soil was dry so I put the tiller on my tractor and dug up the garden and got it ready to plant. It was too early to plant then and luckily I didn't because we got a good frost after that. However yesterday I decided to plant so all of my corn and peas are now planted. No weeds or sign of weeds so I decided to plant. Last night we got on heck of a rain storm along with hail and thunder and lightning. Well that thunder storm just seemed to wake everything up. The trees are green now and my garden has a lot of and I mean a lot of short grass popping up all over the place. Roundup kills a plant by getting into the leaf of the plant. I know you can spray Roundup and then seed 4 days later but since the seed is 1 to 2" in the ground would it hurt to spray over the top of the soil now to kill all of the stuff that is exposed? It should not get to the seed I wouldn't think if I do it right away. Can not find on the instructions that says you can or can't.

murph

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
All of the bottles I have read says it must contact the plant itself. You may not have a problem if the seeds have not sprouted.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seeds were just planted yesterday evening. If I hit the weeds first thing in the morning I should be ok.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
You should use a surfactant which is a fancy name for dish soap to help it stick to the weeds. Do it right now and you should be fine. A small amount of soap in the sprayer mixed with roundup will let it adhere to the leaves instead of dripping off. It will then be absorbed into the plant to kill the roots.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Already noted, but I think the key is whether the seeds have a chance of germanation while the glyphosphate is active.

Probably ditto muleman: go with minimum application rate of the roundup, but high in the surfactant and not loose any sleep.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
It has been raining all morning with the forecast to continue until tomorrow. Can't put on until it quits or it will just wash off. Not sure I want to take a chance on it if I have to wait until Monday evening.