• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Salt Lake City Snowcat Trailering Accident

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure why they didn't cite the driver with leaving the scene of the accident?
Multivehicle crash snarls I-15 traffic

By Roy Burton (Standard-Examiner staff)
http://www.standard.net/topics/accident/2009/12/31/multivehicle-crash-snarls-i-15-traffic

Last Edit: 15 hours 58 min ago (Dec 31 2009 - 10:32pm)

NORTH SALT LAKE -- A multivehicle crash on Interstate 15 on Thursday afternoon ended with three cars on the wrong side of the guardrail and traffic snarled for 90 minutes, but remarkably, no major injuries.
A semi hauling heavy equipment used for grooming ski trails was attempting to merge onto I-15 northbound from I-215 in Davis County around 4 p.m. when a plow blade on the snowcat caught the side of a trailer towed by a Suburban, starting a chain reaction.
The Suburban jackknifed and was struck by a Honda Pilot, which pushed a Ford Taurus into the guardrail before the Honda rolled over the rail and was struck by a southbound van. Meanwhile, the Ford "Evel Knieveled" the cement barrier, jumping into the southbound lane as well, said Cpl. Chris Jones of the Utah Highway Patrol.

The Suburban was left hung up on the guardrail with its front wheels hanging over.

A mother and daughter traveling in the Honda Pilot were taken to a hospital, treated for minor injuries and released by 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Jones said. Everyone involved was wearing a seatbelt, he said.

The semi left the scene of the accident, but Jones said the owner of the tractor-trailer contacted the Utah Highway Patrol to tell them the driver hadn't felt safe stopping on the interstate with a wide load onboard.

UHP spoke with the driver of the semi Thursday evening and planned to issue him a citation, Jones said. Weather was not a factor in the incident.

Three southbound lanes and one northbound lane were shut down for an hour and a half while emergency personnel cleared the scene.​

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's another link to the story, though they don't mention the semi was carrying a snow cat: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9194986

5-vehicle accident causes major delays in North Salt Lake
December 31st, 2009 @ 9:40pm

NORTH SALT LAKE -- A big traffic accident involving five vehicles has made for a very slow commute in North Salt Lake. The accident was just south of the Center Street exit on Interstate 15.

A Suburban was pulling a utility trailer on northbound I-15 when it collided with a semi that was carrying an oversized load. That sent the Suburban smashing into the barrier, and it ended up straddling the concrete wall.

The collision pushed two other cars into the barrier and both ended up in southbound lanes. A southbound car then crashed into one of those cars.

There was only one minor injury in this accident.

The semi truck and the two pilot cars accompanying it, didn't stop, but a half an hour later the semi driver called the Utah Highway Patrol. He was given a citation.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yikes, the photos at your link show some pretty bad damage, that Suburban is probably a total loss hanging over the barricade, and the folks in that overturned car better have had their seatbelts on!

Attachments

• 16787320.jpg
    16787320.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 503
  • 16786258.jpg
    16786258.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 515
  • 16787301.jpg
    16787301.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 516