• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Feel the good vibes

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
So what music ya'll listen to?
I know John prolly listens to the bagpipes, heck he prolly plays them :D
Bit of a Reggae man myself, nothin to start the day like a bit of Steel Pulse :)
Cheers

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh, church music mostly. :rolleyes: Things like Pink Floyd, pre 68 Stones, and many of the grunge rock bands like Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots etc. Hey Mith, have you ever played any stuff backwards looking for satanic messages? :eek: With all the lousy weather you seem to be getting, you've probably got time to. It seems for some reason over here, doing that isn't as popular as it once was. :confused:

Almost forgot. Yeah, I do like the old bag of wind. Also the Celtic things. Just don't have much. And uhuh, I thought about playing bagpipes a llooonnnggg time ago. :cool:

Heard this when in your neck of the woods. Do you know what a Scottish gentleman is? A guy that can play the bagpipes but doesn't. I really didn't get it though, help me out. :confused:

Last edited:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ya I get it :D
Socttish because he can play the pipes but gentleman because he is sympathetic towards other peoples ears and doesnt play, ya? If thats right I got it staright away, never heard it before.

Listen to a bit of Floyd myself. Tell you what though, shouldnt think there are many satanistic messages if you play Reggae backwards, might have to try that with a bit of Maiden though, bet theres something in there :eek:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith; Where do they get these backerds playing turntables? :confused: Any idea? :confused: :)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
johnday said:
Mith; Where do they get these backerds playing turntables? :confused: Any idea? :confused: :)

John,
That's an easy one... You just flip the album over and then it's spinning backwards. Ever notice when you do that it sounds different? In most of mine, I can hear words too!!!

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
John,
That's an easy one... You just flip the album over and then it's spinning backwards. Ever notice when you do that it sounds different? In most of mine, I can hear words too!!!

Yeah, but sometimes I hear birds too!! :eek:

Truly though, back in the '40's I think it was, Skeeter Davis had a song called "Natures Boy". When you flipped it over to play the backside, "Serutan Yob", it was exactly backwards from the front side. :cool: :)

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith,

Back to your original question.
Older Rock (60's and 70's) and some newer (post 1980) Country but mainly on CD since I can then filter out some of the real garbage that's out there.

Brian

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Brian, a good taste in music you have, the older rock is good, I think it slipped a bit downhill after about the late 80s though.

John, you just pick up the turntable and put it down upside down, that way the rotation is reversed on the disk :D Either that or you just send it over to Vin and like the water going down the loo everything goes the other way round :D
Besides, is Vin gunna be coming on this here forum?

How would you all react if I said that most of todays new mainstream music is just a load of rubbish, relatively poor singers just singing to backing tracks? Just a discussion point, dont hate me for it :eek:

BoneheadNW

I'll chime in here while I get the chance. I too like the 60s, 70s and some 80s rock (i.e. Pink floyd, The Stones, The Allman Bros, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Clapton, etc.). I also really like U2. The one thing I absolutely can't stand (I hope this doesn't offend anyone) is music from todays popular female singers such as B. Spears, J. Simpson, etc. Sure, they are nice looking women, but in my opinion their music is garbage.

Bonehead

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mith said:
Mith said:
How would you all react if I said that most of todays new mainstream music is just a load of rubbish, relatively poor singers just singing to backing tracks? Just a discussion point, dont hate me for it :eek:

Bonehead said:
BoneheadNW said:
The one thing I absolutely can't stand (I hope this doesn't offend anyone) is music from todays popular female singers such as B. Spears, J. Simpson, etc. Sure, they are nice looking women, but in my opinion their music is garbage.

Personally, I agree with both. I believe it's been shown (but don't ask me for any proof) that "many" people tend to stick with the music that was during their most influential years (approx. 15-25 years old). Don't know if that's true for the younger generation.

Mith - I just took a look through the member list. Of the 80% of the people I recognize, you're the youngest. Not sure if being on the other side of the pond changes anything but what do most people your age listen to?

Brian

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
At my age, not too sure really, most listen to metal and new so-called 'rock', which is actually in my opinion pop. Thats what my brother listens too aswell, bands like, ugh, cant think of any, ummm, nah, minds gone competely blank, but anyway basically the stuff thats in the charts about now.
Bone, I totally agree, thats what I was trying to get at at the end of my last post, but in slightly less blunt terms. Personally I cant stand all the new chart music, isnt it all so depressing and unhappy? Why cant thay look on the bright side? :mad:

Its probably changed now seeming as there are so many different styles, im a pretty broad listener, Hip Hop to Rock, Reggae to Metal, just sepends on the mood. You cant just stick to one style. What really gets me is badly classified music, since when has B. Spears been hip hop?
What I love about Reggae is that they actually talk about real issues, think about Bob Marley, if youve ever heard the song War than youll know just how right what he is saying is.
Theres nothing like the atmosphere at a festival, even the small local one, when a decent rock band comes on, well that and when a few kegs have been tested :D
Something else ive noticed is I break more tools in the shed when im listening to something like Iron Maiden than when im listening to say Jimi Hendrix, id probably sit there weeping if I heard some of the new chart depressing stuff, well that or John playing the pipes :eek:
So is anyone gunna defend the pop female singers?

PS, this is JMO, feel free to grind it into the earth :)

Last edited:

v8dave

Wizard
bczoom said:
Mith said:

Bonehead said:

Personally, I agree with both. I believe it's been shown (but don't ask me for any proof) that "many" people tend to stick with the music that was during their most influential years (approx. 15-25 years old). Don't know if that's true for the younger generation.

Brian

Yep, the drilling in you get from cruising all night with your buddies and the radio blaring away.

I like the "early" rock and some of the later heavy duty rock. I just bought a DVD set of Miami Vice so I could watch/listen to the tunes again.

Long before I got an iPod I had a 200 play 45rpm Jukebox. I still have it and my adult children still like to come out to the shop and play the pinball machine and play the Jukebox loud enought to be heard in the house. It's amazing but you can still buy 45s newly pressed with quite a variety of music. Last week I picked up some Eric Clapton--Cocaine, ZZ Top--Leggs, and a few more. My son-in-law thought the new additions were great.

The jukebox is like a time machine. Takes you back to the memorable situation you were in when the music made the impression. I can remember driving from Manchester NH to Boston to pick up a gal at the airport and a local radio station was doing a battle of the songs. They'd play a song and then a challenger, get phone votes and play the winner again and then another challenger. On both the way down and back, Hey Jude, was the winner. Can't hear Hey Jude without thinking of that trip to the East Coast--and yes it's in the Jukebox. I guess that kinda dates me eh?

Computer stored music and iPods let me edit out the stuff on "albums" that I didn't like when the darn thing was released and time hasn't made it any better either.:mad: Now just the cuts I like play. :rolleyes: No more gritting your teeth and waiting for it to play through. :D