• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Too much truck?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ever buy a truck and wonder if you could/should have bought the smaller one.

It's rare, but I catch a glimpse of people buying a 1-ton when a 3/4 would have been better or getting a 3/4 when a 1/2 would be better.

I'm thinking of the entire cost-of-ownership thing here.

I stick with the 1/2 ton myself since I have access to every size above that for the cost of fuel. Why buy bigger?

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
When I buy a truck my checkbook says I should have bought smaller; my ego says I should have bought bigger:17875: .

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We use to always buy the heavy duty 3/4 ton vans and pickups. About 6 years ago one of our dealers told us to go with the 1 ton. You would get a little greater load capacity and the vehicle was about $500 less. So now we get quotes for both.

murph

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm most likely going to buy me a new 4X4 dually diesel pickup before long. I honestly don't know if I'll go with a Dodge or a Ford. I guess I'll have to drive both and do more research. Either way, neither will be soo small for me.

elsmitro

floppy member
I'm most likely going to buy me a new 4X4 dually diesel pickup before long. I honestly don't know if I'll go with a Dodge or a Ford. I guess I'll have to drive both and do more research. Either way, neither will be soo small for me.

Did you strike oil in your back yard? :thumb:

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo the Ford has everyone beat hands down right now! I am in the market as well and the Ford is VERY nice. I first drove the Dodge one ton 4x4 diesel dually. Ride was not really that nice compared to my Current Dodge Power Wagon 3/4 ton. Then I drove the Ford 1 ton dually 4x4 diesel. WOW MUCH BETTER ride than my 3/4 ton! Power is better than the Dodge. A very well thought out package. I then took a Chevy 1 ton dually 4x4 diesel out for a spin. It has great power but I feel the ford has them beat. The ride is par with Ford but the Ford to me feels a slight bit better but not sure since it was a 2 weeks diffrence in driving. BUT if it were me I would drive both side by side. BUT the Ford is a nicer package. I no longer have "Brand" Loyalty like I use to have when I was a kid. To me my hard earned money will go to the best product I can get at the best price. I also dont EVER pay full price for anything anymore. Shop around for the best deal. Remember most (not all) car dealerships are leagalized criminal institutions. They will rip you off if they have even the slightest chance given to them. Research and play hard ball! Good Luck!

cj7

hmm

well here is my list of trucks I have owned.. oldest to newest.

69 F250 2wd, 72 F250 2wd camper special (it had 12 leafs under each side), 94 Ranger extened cab short bed 4x4,

2000 F250 extended cab V-10 short bed. this truck I ordered for myself!! felt great the day I picked it up...and I still miss it at times..I miss the standard tranny...

currently driving a 2001 F350 7.3 Diesel, crew cab long bed. great road truck. I tow single place and two place trailers with it. does a great job!

Seems to me there is not really a perfect truck. One that can change size to match the immediate needs....lol

I feel that a 3/4 ton is a good buy for most. You do get a little heavier truck vs the half tons for the money. but then again it depends on what options you are looking for and what is most important to you.

When I bought my F250 it was an XLT package and at the time if I would have spec'd a 150 .. the 150 would have been more money.

I ended up with the 350 for the higher rating and I was able to get a good deal on the truck vs a 250. with similar options.

But there are times I really only need a half ton or a car for that matter...LOL

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll admit that I honestly like the look of the Ford the best as well as the ride of the Ford the best. I guess my major concern is their "new" 6.4 liter engine. I don't have any bad reports on the engine, but I don't really have any good ones either. After the disaster of the short lived 6.0 liter Ford, I'm just really concerned. Gosh, I really wish that the Ford had a Cummins option available from the factory!

I have now taken a GMC, Ford and Dodge for a quick spin. No in depth test drive, but a quick run down a 2 lane road, 2 miles on an interstate, and a short run back down a 2 lane road. None of the roads were bumpy etc. I guess I should have expected it, but none of the three have near the power my old Dodge has. :( I guess it's hard for me to think about spending big bucks for a 11 year newer truck that has less power. Being honest with myself though, as long as the new truck can handle 16k behind it, I really don't need additional power.

I guess I'll look on the net this weekend and see if there are any horror stories about the 6.4 Ford. A real concern is that I buy a new Ford, have trouble with the new 6.4 engine, and have that little guy in my brain constantly telling me "told you to stay with the Cummins you dip shit!". That would hurt. Oh, the GMC really didn't do anything for me. I didn't really care for the interior, the exterior looks, and it seemed shortest on interstate power. It was "punchy" at low speeds, but seemed to lack after that initial punch.

cj7

I hear ya on the new motor... I have not heard much either way about its durability yet...

I like the idea of the twin turbos on it. and I have also heard that it is a very quiet motor compared to older ones.

Now I did read that Ford is considering / planning on dropping IH in 2010 and having their own motor in 2010. It was a short blurb in a 4wd mag I get. I was hoping that they would pick up the Cummins after hearing rumors that Dodge may drop it....

I also read the GM was going to sell the Allison line...

who knows what the big three are doing.. do they even know?

The 7.3 from 96 to 2000 is probably the strongest motor in the Fords to buy they have the fordged rods.. the 01 and later 7.3 usually have the PMR rods... which are good but if you are looking at juicing up the truck to over 400 horse they may not hold up...

I am happy with the 7.3 I have.... there are times I wish it was a bit quiter but then again.. It is not loaded up with a bunch of parts that make it '',higher tec' I also do not have to worry about emissions on the truck since it never had a cat.

It seems the 6.4 is kinda high tec .. so performance upgrades might be more expensive...

I say drive whatever you like.....

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
We have had 3 6.0 and they were great motors. The trans was the problem. Ford has fixed the tran to a real beefy beast and the new engine is SO quiet! As far as power it is very powerful. It also needs about 10K to get the full power out of it. I belive its a factory limiter. Not sure on that. My dads 6.0 was a dog I thought until he hit about 10K Then she really went to town. I found the 6.4 to deceptively powerful. I took the one here for a test drive and passed a semi on my way to my house. I looked down and I was at the governed speed of about 96 MPH. And it got there really FAST! In fact the vehicle is so smooth and quiet that your sense of speed is dulled. Cant wait till I pick one up!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
...was at the governed speed of about 96 MPH.

That would be a bummer. I've gotten in line with traffic and pulled 16k behind my old Dodge at speeds just over 100 mph. :thumb: Like I said, I don't really need as much power, but I'll need to get used to the new ones. Right now I'm about 50/50 between the new Ford and the new Dodge. Statistically, the 6.0 Ford was a complete disaster. Believe me, manufacturers do NOT like completely changing engines after only about 3 years. If I knew that 6.4 would not be as bad, my decision would be made right now.

HGM

That would be a bummer. I've gotten in line with traffic and pulled 16k behind my old Dodge at speeds just over 100 mph. :thumb: Like I said, I don't really need as much power, but I'll need to get used to the new ones. Right now I'm about 50/50 between the new Ford and the new Dodge. Statistically, the 6.0 Ford was a complete disaster. Believe me, manufacturers do NOT like completely changing engines after only about 3 years. If I knew that 6.4 would not be as bad, my decision would be made right now.

I know you have different 6.0L stats than I do, but it was'nt as short lived as it sounds.. The 6.0L is the parent motor of the 6.4L. The long block is very similar.. If you name any problem you are aware of with the 6.0L I can give you factual info on what has been changed with the 6.4L.. Ford has done its homework on this engine because of the bad press they got with the last one.. The 6.0L was a stopgap/building block for the '07 emission rush.. The 6.4L is a continuation of it.. All designed in, they arent running from the 6.0L as some would like to think.. Things have been VERY good so far with this launch in comparison to the 6.0L, VERY good..

As for the power, any brand you get will be subject to federal regulations regarding modifications. The exhaust alone is federaly mandated to the muffler/resonator and the tips must also meet a criteria.. Not saying they wont be modified, but it will be a different story.. Like Snowcat said, its decieving...