• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Caulking Guns - Pneumatic and Cordless Electric

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've just completed installing a steel roof on our house and am preparing to paint. I have a decent compressor with plenty of hose that I can move around as needed with my tractor/FEL. There are a few areas with a lot of flaking paint to be cleaned up, but I believe I should clean out the old caulk and get a good caulking job and then remove the bad paint before I try to wash the house.
I have some Ryobi 18V cordless tools that have performed OK, and looking at their website they manufacture a 18V cordless caulking gun that will work with my batteries. Home Depot has handled these in the past, and had them on sale a time or two for around $20, but they don't carry them any longer. Millwaukee's version is more than $200.
There are pneumatic's available with several in the 20-30 dollar range and a couple that are several hundred.
Have any of you guys had experience with any of these? I've got a problem with the nerves in my right arm and repetitive motions aggravate it, so I'm looking for something to take the sting out of 2-3 cases of caulking tubes...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn have you tried ebay? Or searched around the internet for the Ryobi caulk gun? (I'd like one too and have the 18v Ryobi tools so if you get one let us know how it works by posting a product review!)

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Haven't tried Ebay, but searched the net. The only places that I could find selling them were in the UK it seems. I've submitted a query to the Ryobi website and maybe they'll let us know something when they get back into the office.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have bookmarked a UK site where I can buy one but think I will wait until I hear back from the Ryobi website. I'm thinking that if I buy from a source (such as the UK site) that is legitimately selling new items I'll have better results if it requires a return. Might cost a little more with shipping, etc. but what's a $(within reason)?
And I may elect to go with one of the pneumatic models in the $20-30 range, as I'm thinking of using air powered sanders too.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With the hassle at Ryobi and the 3lb weight for the pneumatic from Northern Tools, I went ahead and ordered the pneumatic. I'm sure the air hose will be something to offset the lighter weight but it should work.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Glenn9643 said:
the 3lb weight for the pneumatic from Northern Tools, I went ahead and ordered the pneumatic.

It would be nice to get a product review of that Northern Tool gun. I suspect it is a chinese made one? I picked up a cheap chinese made chop saw at Harbor Freight and it is a cheap tool, you can feel it and see it, but I've gotten my money's worth of it with just one emergency project that it helped me complete.

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll let you know how it turns out. I didn't want to spend a lot, as it's not a tool I'll use very often (I hope). I've read a couple of reviews that indicated it gave good service once you get accustomed to it. Apparently it ships with no instructions but is simple to figure out. One review recommended regulating the pressure to the low side of the recommended range to help control the speed of output, and the other recommended puncturing only a small hole in the seal to help with the same. Both reviews indicated that it is "well made".