• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OC-12 LEAK BETWEEN GEAR BOXES.

dennytodd

SUPER Site Supporter
Hi :smile:,
How serious is a leaking seal on one side of OC-12 between the upper braking gear box and one of the lower gear drive box?:unsure:

No gear oil is escaping the OC-12.

Those of you reading my other recent post may have gathered that I have just purchased a second Thiokol:smile:. I have indeed and my second machine has been sitting for 4 years:doh:. In doing repairs one current problem is in the OC-12. Apparently a seal on the passenger side is bad. My indication of this problem is the lower gear box was over full when drained of old fluid. When I add new fluid to the upper gear box the lower box fills up. I don't think this is normal.

Thanks in advance for you comments.
Denny Todd

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
Denny...congrats on the second machine! We knew another adoption had occurred but have been waiting for you to release the news! 8)

How about some pics to share with the group? New adoptions always come with a wonderful photo album... traditionally. 8)

dennytodd

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Mainer,
I will get photos posted before and after the paint job. Most likely front will have a set of choppers like my original. The little woman is talking about some colors that are not setting to well with me at this time.
I have a up coming job in the mountains East of Show Low AZ. in 2 weeks and will be taking both machines there for about 20 days.
Denny

Mainer

Boggie likes our museum
SUPER Site Supporter
That's great! Will be great to see!
Gotta ask... assuming the little woman to be the one in some of your tube vids and she seems to be having some great fun which is great ... is this machine going to be her tracked rig? Has she indeed been bitten by the addictive snowcat bug as well?

Snowcat Pat

Hi Denny, To answer your question...What you described is normal, there is not a seal between the cases. But both Outboard Reduction Boxes should be over full of oil, not just one side. Fill the center case to the bottom threads of the top rear plug hole and the oil will fill the axle tubes and reduction boxes (AKA...Drop Boxes). Some older machines don't have the top plug location drilled and tapped for a fill plug but you can see where it would be so I install an elbow and stand-pipe in the middle plug location so the diff can be filled to the late model upper plug oil level. Hope this makes sense. Also I always clean the magnetic plugs in the Drop Boxes whenever changing the diff oil. And the machine has to be perfectly level to get all the oil out of the axle tubes or alternatively jack up one side of the machine for a while and then the other side while draining the oil from the lowest (1/8 NPT) Drop Box plugs
-Pat

dennytodd

SUPER Site Supporter
Good Stuff Pat :clap:,
Thank you for setting me straight on the seal question :smile:. This is my second Thiokol snow cat. Both have the OC-12. I could not get the 1/8 allen drains out of the drop gear box so we pumped the oil out, re filled and pumped out again. The magnetic plugs looked about the same as my other OC-12. I lilke the elbow riser pipe idea.

I keep hearing the little woman and her brother the artist saying something about pink paint :w00t2: and a mouth on the front with big teeth, lips and a tong sticking out:doh:.

2-B-continued :whistling:

Denny Todd

Helmsman38

Member Formerly Known As Kristi KT7
GOLD Site Supporter
Good Stuff Pat :clap:,
Thank you for setting me straight on the seal question :smile:. This is my second Thiokol snow cat. Both have the OC-12. I could not get the 1/8 allen drains out of the drop gear box so we pumped the oil out, re filled and pumped out again. The magnetic plugs looked about the same as my other OC-12. I lilke the elbow riser pipe idea.

I keep hearing the little woman and her brother the artist saying something about pink paint :w00t2: and a mouth on the front with big teeth, lips and a tong sticking out:doh:.

2-B-continued :whistling:

Denny Todd

Old thread but im dealing with this also ~ I am going to weld onto the allen a bolt and then try to wrench it out.....:whistling:

jo5

If you haven't stripped it out you can heat it (fast and hot) with a torch and it will come loose

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah Its stripped at the allen head so what else can I do but weld a bolt onto it and wrench it out ??

Helmsman38

GOLD Site Supporter
So if I understand correctly the drop boxes are filled separately from the rear diff

No, by filling the center section, it will also fill the drop boxes. When you drain the rear end you need to drain both drop boxes and the center section.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah Its stripped at the allen head so what else can I do but weld a bolt onto it and wrench it out ??

You can drill through it with Elmers glue on your bit... Then a broken bolt extractor in the hole to turn the plug out. The Elmers will make drilling it much easier. This also works well on set screws in gears, pulleys and the like with set screws.

Welding upside down is not easy if you are welding a nut to the drain plug...

Best regards, Kirk