• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Anyone Here Into Lockpicking?

Yanivme

I just started messing around with locks around the house. This is a great hobby.
KeyinLock.jpg

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
i found an expensive looking lock picking set one time. didn't think it was legal so the wife took it to work at the PD and donated it.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I guess it is a good hobby as long it stays inside your home. Any of it done outside your home needs to be w/ the owner's permission!!
Mike

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I can see it as a hobby, much like guns. Just because you learn to use a gun does not mean you are going to rob a store or shoot someone. I suppose it could come in handy if you find yourself locked in somewhere, or locked out.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I bought a book about it once & made my own picks. Some of those locks are SO easy to open it's scary.
Suitcase and little locks like that are really easy can open them with a paper clip.
The banding that holds crates together and a good pair of tin snips works well to make lock picks out of. But honest I just did it to mess around with no burglary involved.
Good to know though if you lock something like that & lose key.

Last edited:

Brandon Solo

Pro tip: (saw this from a lockpicker once) use an electric drill to open doors. Concerned me much although it let me in to my house after accidentally not bringing the keys with me and locking the door.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
It's a useful skill to have in the repertoire. It takes practice to get really good at it. It's been useful a few times in my life. That being said, I'm not really "into it". It was just something to learn.

Lenny

SUPER Site Supporter
It's a useful skill to have in the repertoire. It takes practice to get really good at it. It's been useful a few times in my life. That being said, I'm not really "into it". It was just something to learn.
Same here. I did it at work but it's in the past for me too.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pro tip: (saw this from a lockpicker once) use an electric drill to open doors. Concerned me much although it let me in to my house after accidentally not bringing the keys with me and locking the door.
I'm curious. How would a drill get you in? If you simply drill out the lock on your home that would be an expensive way to get past forgetting a key.

kc3tec

As a retired locksmith picking locks is an artform if done correctly.
It takes a lot of patience, and practice.
When you are really good at it you are smooth enough to leave no discernable trace.
But being a locksmith requires a dedicated and honorable person, after all your clients trust you with their security and you better not let them down!
Sadly its a dying art because too many commercial interests take many of the key functions,
Hardware stores selling cheap locksets and copying keys( poorly made copies) and many garages doing car openings ( most of the time with improper tools).

Take a proper locksmithing course.
Get the certificates.and check your localle, you may be able to set up a lucrative business.