• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Thiokol Whiplash what???

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Pretty tough looking machine....

But the price is right. If only we knew if the hydro static bits are in good shape..

The 3208 Cat engine is about a $7K outlay for a rebuilt engine when a core is exchanged. Good motors they can be. Somewhat surpised it hasn't got a Turbo on it for high altitude performance.

If the Hydrostats are bad add another $7-10K for those.

It is a bit of a chance, but if all were good you could put it together for maybe $3-5K and call yourself very lucky. If it were not good, you could end up with $20K in it for a running unit. Kind of a crap shoot..

But for $2K for parting it out, it looks like a pretty good deal as a parts machine.

Regards, Kirk

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey nikson it looks smaller than it is. ;-)

Iceman has some final drives for sale right here on FF for $500.

It looks like a great candidate for the "Russian Treatment"
You could make base camp with the whiplash then use the Sup imp for further expedition.

Go for it.

swixb

I think it is a 3700 with a imp cab. I am going to move it to Denver on Wednesday, and take a good look at all the parts. how can one tell if the hydraulic pump and motors work? the 3208 in it is bad, it comes with a spare, but will take some time to exchange them. will know more next week.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I was talking with a guy in logan the other day worked at the plant where that was made, he said it was a bear track I believe whiplash was a name some one gave it

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there should be a data plate inside the cab some place will give a sn and year of manufacture it is essentially a 2 place lmc 3700

swixb

Data plate says Thiokol 2500, curb wt 10k, payload 2k. No date of delivery. SN T4H0032 The cab looks Imp-ish but is 7.5' wide and has car type doors complete with roll up windows. The cab tilts forward to expose the big Cat diesel shoehorned into the tub. Seller said it came from Frasier Colorado, may have been part of the fleet at Winter Park or Sol Vista ski area?? The cab is rough, but the rest is in pretty good shape. Front axle is bent in a tiny bit but not enough to make it pigeon-toed. Frame/tub is straight and not rusted. Hydraulics are clean except for the rt side drive pump, it is weeping a bit. The twin sticks are marine type cables the run up to the actual hydro valves. The J grousers are in good shape except for a few broken ones. It does not appear to have been run on rocks. Has one bad rim, and needs three tires, the fronts are filled. It is now in NW Denver.
If anyone knows any history or wants more info...I'm all ears.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
from what I could gather on the 2500 it was the predecessor to the 3700 made about 1972 or 73 for a short time than the 3700 seems to have taken it's place. I would guess the cat motor was a replacement for the allis chalmers 6 back in the day the a/c motors were what Thiokol was using. It looks to have 2100 tracks on it I suppose you would want to check the pitch as the juice drive Thiokol's used a different pitch to keep the tracks from getting swapped around

swixb

My research indicates it is an early 70’s cat, ‘72 or ‘73. One of the earliest “juice” cats made. Sn is 0023. Knowing it’s true age actually makes it appear in better shape than I thought… it is restorable, no doubt about that. Will it be done in a month, no. By next season sure. All about how much time one wants to invest. It needs three things in general.
1. Cab to be restored….an auto body shop could make quick work of it…for a price…sheet metal repair, bit of bondo, paint and the interior sprayed with Rhino coating or something….I’m not a body guy…so this is the hard part for me. But could look like new…. Lights are in good shape just needs the one sheet of flat tempered glass, 100 bucks.
2. Engine/mechanical. Cat 3208. I’m confidant one engine can be made out of the two, both are reasonably complete, both have injector pumps and related things, just a few things can be pulled from the installed one, like the alternator, fan, sensors… the removal and reinstall will require a robust cherry picker or a beam over head to run a chain hoist as that 3208 is very heavy. The core is worth 5-700.. One exhaust pipe is broken, but that is an easy fix. The hydraulics look pretty good, except for the pass side drive motor, it will need some attn. Replacement on line is 500 bucks..may be a good investment.. An ex Vail cat mechanic advised to have the flex plate rebuilt between the motor and hydro pump, and then set the idle at 950 rpm, which sounds high for a big diesel, but it idles smooth at that rpm and does not tear up the flex plate.
3. Tracks. The belts are good, reasonably good anyway, not original and are the good belting, not cut & punched conveyor belts. The J type grousers are in good shape, not warn or run on rocks. One will need to replace/repair 20-30 and buy a few to have on hand. Old grousers get brittle, that is just a fact.
Will need the marine controls lubed or replaced as they are not cycling freely. But that is just a “off the shelf” part any marine shop will have them.
Will need 3 tires and one rim. All available. The fronts are foam filled and that is all one really needs to be filled.
One can fab a flatbed behind the cab for utility purposes. It has a pintle hitch for whatever kind of trailer or thing you want to pull.
It has hydraulics plumbed to both the front and rear to run a blade or a winch. These make pretty good log skidders….have thought that might be a good use for this cat, I happen to have a big winch, PTO drive that could be driven by a hydraulic motor…

I plan to list it on Denver CL this weekend. It is on my gooseneck trailer now, not real easy to unload…but I need my trailer in 2 weeks to go get my cat… so I am motivated to sell it, or I will have to unload it. My ramps are 7’8” wide, the cat is 8’, so it is harder than just rolling it down the ramps… funny how things are never simple…lol.
I think 3k is a reasonable price to ask.

swixb

Denver CL posting.
http://denver.craigslist.org/snw/4831473109.html
Price is not fixed...do let me know if you have any questions.
If I did not just finish my Skidozer 302HD...I'd build this one into a mountain climbing machine...here in Colorado one needs wide tracks / low psi to climb in powder...once you are above timberline the sky is the limit...