• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Walking HADRIAN'S WALL from North Sea to Irish Sea

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR THAT WILL NOT GO TO ENGLAND

ICEBREAKER Merino Wool 200 Bodyfit Base Layer
Simply put, this shirt is not comfortable enough to go with me. Its a great shirt, but it is a 'bodyfit' cut, which means it is a very tight fitting shirt. I just don't like that tight fit. I want something that fits me, but doesn't act like a girdle to hug me into shape. Its the nicest, most expensive Merino Wool that I own, and it will be left behind.

Point 6 Wool 'Light Hiking' Socks
Its a good sock, but not as good as either the Cabela's InGenius (wool/synthetic blend) or the Darn Tough (all wool) Light Hiking socks.

SOTA MUKA white gas stove
This is a GREAT stove, it really is a shame it won't make this trip, but its a little too big, a little too heavy, a little too much, especially for a trip when the uses will be fairly minimal as breakfasts and dinners will typically be eaten in English Pubs and lunches and snacks will be the only use for the stove. So this, being the biggest, is eliminated. I'm leaning heavily toward the stupid-simple ESBIT solid fuel stove. Its tiny and light and will boil water. Nothing more, just boil water. But that may be all I need to make a couple cups of coffee a day, maybe some oatmeal for a snack, etc. I have NOT yet ruled out the alcohol stove, nor have I ruled out the SNOW PEAK iso-butane stove. The alcohol stoves are simply liquid fuel versions of the ESBIT, they heat water. The SNOW PEAK is tiny, even with a couple fuel canisters its still pretty light and small. It is also more flexible for cooking so its not been cut, at least not yet.

KEEN hiking shoes
Not sure which model these are, but they are not going with me. They weigh more than my new Zamberlan 230 Crosser boots, and they provide less support than the Zamberlan boots too. Plus, the KEENs are also less comfortable, less stable and offer less feel for varying ground conditions. Unless I wear out the Zamberlans, or unless something better comes along that I try (and I am NOT looking) then the obvious choice for me to wear will be the Zamberlan 230 Crosser hiking boots. Simply the best light weight hiking boot I have ever encountered.

KOPPEN baselayer polyester hiking shirts
These are very comfortable shirts, I actually like them a lot and wear them all the time. But they get a funky stink about them, even if you just wear them around the house doing light activities that might raise up a bit of sweat. Any sweat that gets into the material transforms into a nasty funk. No thank you, I don't need 8 days of smelling myself all funky. So these inexpensive, comfortable, sun-blocking, moisture wicking shirts will stay at home. I wish they had anti-microbial anti-funk additives blended into the fabric like some other polyester shirts incorporate. But they don't. So they stay at home.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
GEAR SELECTION: Water filtration has not been tested:
I'm about 99% sold on the Sawyer Mini based on the backpacking forum reviews/recommendations. Its seems dead simple and reliable. Its is TINY and lightweight. I have not purchased anything regarding water filtration/purification yet.​

GEAR SELECTION: MORE TESTING NEEDED ~ Cook Stoves:
I need to play around with the 3 smaller stoves some more to really be sure what I will be using. Each of the 3 smallest stoves should fit my needs. To refresh your memories without going back to them.

1) ESBIT solid fuel folding stove. Stows easily, boils water, no heat adjustment. Light. Stable, cheap fuel easily found in UK.
2) ALCOHOL stove. Stows easily, boils water, no heat adjustment. Light. Liquid alcohol. Found in hardware stores in UK.
3) SNOW PEAK Giga Power Iso-Butane stove. Smallest stove, heat is adjustable, simmer to boil, but fuel canisters are a bit larger. Fuel is supposed to be available in the UK.​

Possible DATE CHANGE that could screw up gear choices a bit.
One of the members of our group will be unavailable in early June when we had originally planned the trip, so the trip may be delayed until mid-July. That changes the temperature range fairly substantially for the average low/high temps for the day. The daily "high" only changes by about 5 degrees, so not a big issue there, but the daily "low" changes by about 10 degrees. Planning a trip for temps that will likely drop to the low 40's every morning requires some different clothes than a trip that will likely only drop into the low 50's every morning. Might be testing out some short sleeve merino wool base layer shirts?​

NEW GEAR: Arc'teryx Aphix Insulated Jacket:
LINK => http://www.arcteryx.com/ProductFind.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Jackets
I did purchase a new lightly insulated jacket from Arc'teryx to wear, but there is no plan of taking that on the trip itself. Its more for local hikes during moderate winter weather/late spring weather hikes locally. $220 for what amounts to be a glorified layering jacket that can be used as a stand alone spring jacket???

I see Arc'teryx brand advertised a lot but I don't see it often. I really began to wonder if Arc'teryx is actually used by people who wander off into the woods or is it a fashion accessory? I ask because it seems to be favored by folks in the wealthy suburbs of Chicago and somehow I don't see the manicured and pampered folk out on overnight hikes.

Looks to be well made, in fact it looks to be made better than anything I've ever seen and some reviews of the products are beyond glowing, the Aphix jacket looks like what I want. Testing it a bit will give me the answers. I'm hoping its worth the money.

As I get more use out of it I'll post up some photos and impressions. So far, it seems to be what I wanted. But its very unlikely this will to to the UK with me.

I didn't buy it for the Hadrian's Wall hike, I bought it because I need some sort of middle layer of insulation. I had a older leather jacket that I bought and found out was inadequate in virtually every way! Hated it. Finally tore the liner and decided that it would be better off at Goodwill. Paid a lot for that jacket, it was made by RFT (Rainforest Trading) and it was one of the lowest value purchases I ever made. Never going to buy that brand again. Can't recommend it to anyone either, well maybe if you have a brother-in-law you despise then it might make a good gift?

GEAR UPDATE: Cabela's In-Genius Socks:
For all day comfort these are great socks, hiking or not. I find that hiking socks tend to be somewhat binding on my feet, especially so after I had foot surgery several years ago. While good hiking socks are fine on my feet while I am active, once I sit for a spell, they tend to feel tight. The Cabela's In-Genius hiking socks are one rare exception that are comfortable while active AND while loungingg.

GEAR UPDATE: Eddie Bauer FIRST ASCENT Accelerant Jacket/Hoodie:
I'm really liking this light weight jacket. It can be worn as a light jacket over a base layer, as a lightweight shell over a couple layers, or in the frigid temps we are experiencing as a mid-layer under a shell or parka. I've been using this jacket for a lot of things, as various layers. Be it just wearing it when running out, to wearing it under heavier coats when plowing snow, etc. I didn't expect to wear the hood often but that gets used a lot more than I would have ever guessed.

Excellent piece of kit that I think I will find more uses for than I could have imagined.

But it looks weird on me. Its bright lime green with bright blue zippers and dark blue stretch panels. Not something you'd normally see on an old grey haired/grey bearded man's body as he shuffles along the roadside muttering to himself. uh, well, you get the picture....​

GEAR UPDATE: Zamberlan 230 Crosser GTX light hiking boots:
WOW, these are the BEST light hiking boots that I've ever worn. Period. In fact better than any mid-weight hiking boots too. They are light, flexible, offer support, have great ground feel but have enough mid-sole shock absorption to prevent foot punishment. I love these things. They are NOT a winter boot, NON-insulated. They are a 3 season light hiker and they are a-freakin-mazing! There is no better light/medium hiking boot on the planet.

The possible downside is they saved weight by making the sole a bit thinner, lugs a bit shorter, and that may end up meaning that they won't last as long as a heavier soled/thicker lug boot. I'm totally OK with that. I'd rather give up a little bit in long term life to get the supreme road feel, confidence in footing, and support that these provide. I can buy another pair someday. Many light hikers cut down their height to save weight or skimp elsewhere. This boot doesn't skimp anywhere and it feels great too. I don't see any real signs of the sole wearing prematurely, but its one point that may be a concern for some folks? Me, if they ever announce that they plan to discontinue this boot, I'll probably buy 5 pairs and have a lifetime supply in my closet.​

Other than that, I think mostly I need to get back outside and walk. But with the weather this cold and with the snow drifts narrowing the roadways, that is just not going to happen.

My guess is that I will wear out the "tips" of my Leki Trekking Poles before the trip, those will likely be replaced prior to the trip.

I'm sure a couple other things will be replaced before the trip.

I'd still like to switch to sleeping in tents during the hike, but that is not going to happen with this group.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd still like to switch to sleeping in tents during the hike, but that is not going to happen with this group.

As my wife says, "She's evolved 'way beyond tent camping". I must admit that I agree with her.

Sorry to hear that you didn't like your Rainforest jacket. I've had one for a couple of years and really like it. Mine is more of a field coat than a jacket. It has a zip in liner, zip on leather collar and zip on hood. It's so versatile. You can dress it up or down, depending on the weather and what you are doing. In fact, it is the one jacket that I bring along on some of our RV trips.

I love the gear reviews. Keep them coming. The weather has been so cold here this winter that I'm using them to upgrade some of my cold weather gear, especially base layers. I'm going to get some new marino wool base layers and dump some of my old wool/cotton ones.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
. . . I love the gear reviews. Keep them coming. The weather has been so cold here this winter that I'm using them to upgrade some of my cold weather gear, especially base layers. I'm going to get some new marino wool base layers and dump some of my old wool/cotton ones.

Take a hard look at the STOIC brand.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Will do. I took your advice on the In-genius and Darn Tough socks and didn't regret it.

There are a lot of mundane things that we all use. Rarely do any of us ever consider writing a review of our SOCKS or UNDERWEAR (by the way, try the ExOfficio undies, seriously, awesome undies) or other things that we use in our every day lives. But much of this thread is really just about that type of thing because when you go hiking you tend to take things to the extreme, can't change out of them easily, can't reach into your closet for replacements, etc.

Certainly this thread has some unusual items.

My backpack of choice, a Lowe Alpine AirZone 35 is great little pack, with a suspension system that maximizes airflow between your back and the pack better than any other I have found, but it is a 'light load' pack. The suspension system simply can't bear weight beyond maybe 30 pounds, so its great for a small pack but won't be suitable for an expedition pack.

The Snow Peak "Snow Miner" headlamps are great camping/hiking headlamps, but not really very good for hunters because they don't offer a red light which is very useful for hunters. Its a nifty piece of kit that very easily illuminates a wide area like a tent or a small room, but it just as easily projects a focused beam and does so without having to adjust a lens, focus anything, rather it just requires you squeeze a silicone dome. Sort of dumb looking but idiot proof and easy to use. When you are occupied with other things, the last thing you need is a complicated headlamp.

Lots of other bits and pieces to consider. And I'm sure if you think about it, lots of little things you use daily that can be improved (like your underwear, seriously, try the ExOfficio :smile: )

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
There is no way in hell you are going to ever take all this stuff you are giving reviews on . ADMIT IT !!!! You just want a bunch of new stuff and this is the best way you know to get it .

Take one jacket and good walking shoes . That's it . Let the Inn's and Hotels supply the drinks and good food and a soft bed .

Oh yea ,,, add one bag of beef jerky :clap:...

Otherwise You will looks like this :

Attachments

• hiker.jpg
    hiker.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 134

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Al, you are correct, I'm only going to take a small portion of this stuff.

My goal is to weed out the decent stuff and take only the best stuff.

Shirts for example, the most expensive I have is an Icebreaker. Its beautifully made, but its a 'body fit' design and those are tight against the skin. While its wonderfully soft high grade merino wool, it is not going to the UK with me. On the other end of the specturm are the Koppen brand shirts, cheap but very comfortable, and they also stink like a wet dog if you start to sweat. RedRam, a division of Icebreaker, makes a very good shirt, its Merino wool, controls odor, comfortable too and lower priced than the Icebreaker, but it lacks any style. Then there is the Stoic Alpine, a good looking shirt that is comfortable, comes in contrasting colors and is a Merino wool blend that controls odors, looks great, and is moderately priced.

So the Stoic shirts are a great value and will be going to the UK with me, while others wills stay behind.

My goal, including the weight of water, is no more than 25# in my backpack. Considering that I am NOT taking a sleeping bag, pad or tent, that should be an easy goal to hit.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, you are correct, I'm only going to take a small portion of this stuff.

My goal is to weed out the decent stuff and take only the best stuff.

Shirts for example, the most expensive I have is an Icebreaker. Its beautifully made, but its a 'body fit' design and those are tight against the skin. While its wonderfully soft high grade merino wool, it is not going to the UK with me. On the other end of the specturm are the Koppen brand shirts, cheap but very comfortable, and they also stink like a wet dog if you start to sweat. RedRam, a division of Icebreaker, makes a very good shirt, its Merino wool, controls odor, comfortable too and lower priced than the Icebreaker, but it lacks any style. Then there is the Stoic Alpine, a good looking shirt that is comfortable, comes in contrasting colors and is a Merino wool blend that controls odors, looks great, and is moderately priced.

So the Stoic shirts are a great value and will be going to the UK with me, while others wills stay behind.

My goal, including the weight of water, is no more than 25# in my backpack. Considering that I am NOT taking a sleeping bag, pad or tent, that should be an easy goal to hit.

Wait ????
You mean I was right about something ???????? Wow ... I never been right before .
I am jealous though . I would love you do something like that .

Maybe on a moped ...........:biggrin:

Sounds like it is going to be fun . I am glad you are doing it !!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You can come with.

We are planning to stop and see Ice Queen in Wales for a few days after the walk too.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You can come with.

We are planning to stop and see Ice Queen in Wales for a few days after the walk too.

Honestly ..... I would love to .

In truth , I am going in to see the doc about fixing my hip . In 2006 I fell while hunting and laid over a frozen tree for 45 minutes before I could even walk. That walk out of there to the truck of 200 yards took me 45 Minutes and I believe it busted my hip . When I returned home 3 weeks later my hip was still blue from my knee cap to my lower back .
Now I am having major pain because of it . I have a lump that sticks out about 1" and is the size of a basketball at my hip .
I need to have that taken care first before I do much hiking .
Maybe I could have a golf cart and deliver drinks , Beef jerky and Drinks :biggrin:.
I do expect to see lots of great pictures

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just hold on a minute !!!! We ain't seen no review on a new camera ,,,,,,or have we ????
We have. Well maybe not a review, but a discussion. But in a different thread. A Panasonic Lumix GX1.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Gear Purchase ~ not for the trip, but for hiking in the current weather!

Mountain Hardware "Gravitor Insulated Shell" Jacket:

Picked this up cheap from "Steep & Cheap" on their website. $169.00 is what I paid, retail price is $365.00. It appears to be a 2013 season close out. Reviews around Al Gore's interwebs suggest it is a good shell style jacket. Tech specs show that it is lightly insulated. So while it looks like a 'parka' style coat, it is only has a modest 80gram Micro Therm insulation layer. That makes it suitable as a cold weather shell over a heavy mid-layer (like the Arc'teryx jacket I recently purchased) or alone in milder cool weather.

Mountain Hardwear beefed up the Gravitor Inslulated Jacket with its moisture-blocking, extremely breathable Dry.Q technology so you'll stay dry when raging storms slam the trail. While your buddies are getting soaked or suffocating in their swampy 'waterproof' jackets you'll just put your hood up and keep going. Your body will waste less energy trying to maintain its temperature, so you'll have more fuel for the fun.
  • Double layered Rebar Rip is durable and tough without being heavy or bulky
  • Dri.Q Elite membrane blocks heavy snow and even rain while remaining highly breathable from the second you zip up
  • 40K-rated fabric is able to stop moisture penetration in harsh conditions
  • Thermic Micro insulation blends warmth-holding hollow fibers and loft-retaining solid fibers for maximum performance
  • Superior breathability reduces the need for zippered vents giving you a lighter more streamlined jacket
  • Dual hem drawcords and adjustable cuffs seal out the cold
  • Higher pockets are accessible when you're wearing a harness or pack
This will NOT being going to England with me, but should be suitable for hiking around here (if we didn't have knee deep snow) now with appropriate layers underneath. I'd been looking for a new shell jacket, my prior shell was a Woolrich brand shell, great product, lasted a dozen or so years, but it was NOT insulated at all, and has long since been retired after I tore the back of the jacket. When I saw this on Steep & Cheap it appeared to be just what I was looking for, but at a bargain basement price. Everything else I saw that looked good, with good reviews, was in the $300 to $600 price range and being the cheapskate that I am, I opted for the sale item!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 173

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Personally, I think doin' the Wall on a golf cart is a far superior notion than hiking. Just sayin'.

Just don't sink that golf cart in the moors.

By the way, here is an update on the Arc'teryx jacket.

GEAR UPDATE: Arc'teryx Mid-Layer Jacket:

Here are some of the promised photos and while I've only had this jacket for about 10 days its an awesome jacket. Arc'teryx is one of the more expensive brands on the market. Light jackets start about $200, fleece starts about the same price. Heavy jackets and shells can exceed $600. Their backpacks are nearly double the prices of many other more known brands. But now that I own one piece, I'm more able to understand why they charge so much.

The details of this jacket are incredible. The workmanship/quality control is simply top notch, as you should expect from a $220 lightweight jacket.

Overview of jacket: You can see the stretch panels under the lower part of the arms up to the armpits and about 1/2 way down the sides. These panels vent extra heat when you are working hard, they also hold the jacket snug (but not tight) so it doesn't move around on your body (again this is a mid-layer). There is also a very soft material on the inside of the collar, a nice touch.
image_zps13f33271.jpg

Inside breast zipper pocket. Notice the reinforced stitching around it? All the stitching is very straight very tightly stitched. I would have preferred a larger zipper pull or a cloth attachment (as they have on the exterior pockets).
image_zps53c4fa1b.jpg

Drawstring at the bottom on of the jacket. You'll also notice that there is a smooth lining on the inside of the jacket body, but a more sturdy rip-stop band along the base of the jacket. The drawstring is held in place by a loop so it doesn't flop around, it also has a very ergonomic design to allow for easy adjustment with gloves.
image_zps49edad88.jpg

View of the stretch venting material from the inside of the jacket:
image_zps27a50fce.jpg

Detail view of the stretch venting material from the outside of the jacket. Notice the extra material cuts/panels to shape under the arm to prevent bunching when wearing this as part of a layering system.
image_zps06374636.jpg

Detail of the insulated pockets. They are cut high enough to allow them to ride above the hip belt of a backpack. The added cloth pulls make it easier to use these when wearing gloves.
image_zps7d0bd3fa.jpg

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
NEW GEAR: First Impressions ~ Mountain Hardware Gravitor Technical Shell Jacket

Been wearing the new shell today, its very nice, exactly what I hoped for and as long as the quality is good, it should serve me well.

The "Gravitor" is a technical layering shell with 80 grams of insulation, which makes it a 'lightly insulated' shell jacket. Great for weather that would be cooler than perhaps 40-45 degrees (F) down to maybe freezing if worn on its own. But as its a shell, it is designed to be worn as part of a layering system. Its roughly 2 degrees (F) today and I wore the Arc'teryx mid-layer jacket under this shell today while doing some light work outside. Combination was fantastic.

As a test, I also wore it out an about my property WITHOUT a mid-layer jacket in this weather. Not a good thing. The insulation is simply not thick enough for sub-freezing temps, and in the lower single digits I would not want to rely on this alone. I got cold just walking the 150' from my house to my workshop. By the time I got back into the house I was cold to my core! Amazing the difference between wearing this alone and wearing it with a mid-layer jacket!

The "Dry-Q Elite" fabric is a breathable, but totally waterproof jacket so it will keep me dry in a rainstorm, as well as if I wear it for X-country skiing and get coated in snow. Its supposed to allow body heat to stay in, but perspriation moisture to evaporate out. Honestly don't know (yet) if that system works. Again, this is NOT going to England for the hike, but it should work well to allow me to get out and hike around here while I prepare for the Hadrian's Wall walk.

Some details, overview of the shell, looks like a thin parka:
image_zps00b6d589.jpg

Hood is a bit bulkier than I would like, its designed to allow a climbing helmet to be worn, something I won't need. But it chinches up in the back with a corded locking drawstring:
image_zps64e24620.jpg

There are also 2 corded locking drawstrings on the front of the hood, so overall the hood is a great design, one that can be snugged down pretty well. Its also lightly insulated, like the coat. The material around the neck and the inside edge of the hood are NOT soft/fuzzy material for comfort, something I consider to be a real comfort benefit, but given the discount price I paid, I'm not going to complain too much.
image_zps8d96e1ce.jpg

The bottom of the coat is cut longer in the rear and shorter in the front, which I hope you can tell from this photo. It should allow some forward bending, while still protecting the lower back from rain/snow/wind and cold:
image_zps16d6c1c9.jpg

Detail of the sleeve, which has a velcro style closure. Also the claims made by for the DryQ Elite fabric material:
image_zps143b191f.jpg

Inside pockets. Chest pocket secures with a zipper. The zipper pull is smaller than it should be and would benefit from either being larger or having a cloth strap. Lower pocket is a large open top pocket for trail maps or other light things that need to be carrried.
image_zpsd361bd73.jpg

All the exterior pockets feature a waterproof barrier and feature corded pull extentions so they are easy to operate with gloves. The main zipper is additional protected on the INSIDE with a wind-blocking flap and on the OUTSIDE with a storm blocking flap that is additionally weather proofed with a half dozen strips of velcro to hold it down and keep snow, rain and wind from penetrating the waterproofed zipper.
image_zps8303b6c6.jpg

Corded locking drawstrings around the waiste (in 2 locations) to snug up the coat bottom to keep out snow/wiind, but there is no powder baffle. Not sure a powder baffle would be a real benefit as this is only a lightly insulated shell.
image_zps4b7e65c1.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the quality of the coat. Honestly if I had paid the full retail of roughly $370.00 there are a couple other features that I would have wanted, but as I paid less than 1/2 the retail price its a bargain. This is my first day wearing the coat, we'll have to see if I still like it with more wear, but like I said, first impressions on my first day of wearing it around are very positive. Never had any Mountain Hardware brand clothing before, reputation is pretty good for the brand.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
With a high temperature today that is supposed to get all the way up to the mid-Teens, and snow that is deeper than knee high in most places in my yard, I'm not actually going out to do much other than run the tractor to move the fresh 4 or 5 inches of snow that fell on my driveways yesterday. No new snow coming, but temps are going to get lower before going up to ABOVE freezing mid-week.

Seems like a good time to look at something different.

Q: "How much farther?"

A: "Mile, Mile and a half."

If you've ever done any long backpacking trips, you understand that question and response!
At any point on the trail, saying the destination is 8 miles or 5 hours away can be just devastating to morale. A mile... mile and a half isn't so far and we probably don't really know exactly how far it is.

It doesn't really matter anyway. We're out here to get away from deadlines, timelines, calculations, and machinations. So, the title of this entertaining 87 minute film, "Mile... Mile and a Half" perfectly sets the tone for the visually inspiring trek along one of the nation's most beautiful trails - the John Muir Trail.

Mile, Mile and a Half. This is a hiking movie available on line. The JMT is about 2.1 times longer than the Hadrian Wall hike that I'll be making, and its also somewhat more rugged, although the Hadrian's Wall passes through some pretty desolate areas, the JMT is, in its entirety, a lonely walk.

Get some mid-winter hiking inspiration and enjoy the clips: TRAILER #1 MILE... MILE & A HALF (trailer 1) on Vimeo
http://vimeo.com/36675195

TRAILER #2 http://vimeo.com/46003053

Making music on the trail: from movie: http://vimeo.com/54374634

BTS Featurette: http://vimeo.com/34870774

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That's really amusing. Years ago, when I was in Ireland, the common measure of distance when asking directions was a "mile and a bit". Of course, if they were being really honest it might be "two miles and a bit". The actual length of the "bit" was a variable. It might be just a little "bit" or, more usually, it was several more miles. The time taken to drive that "mile and a bit" could be 5 minutes or 30 minutes. You never knew. It was an adventure. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's really amusing. Years ago, when I was in Ireland, the common measure of distance when asking directions was a "mile and a bit". Of course, if they were being really honest it might be "two miles and a bit". The actual length of the "bit" was a variable. It might be just a little "bit" or, more usually, it was several more miles. The time taken to drive that "mile and a bit" could be 5 minutes or 30 minutes. You never knew. It was an adventure. :biggrin:

Yup, its about the same as answering your kids when the whine from the back seat of the car asking: ARE WE THERE YET? :biggrin:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
""BUMP""

Well, what happened?????

Out of this thread I got a really great jacket and got turned on to Darn Tough and Cabela's Ingenious socks. Man, I love those socks!!! In fact I'm wearing the Cabela's socks as I type this but the Darn Tough are my favorites. I think I have about a dozen pairs now.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
""BUMP""

Well, what happened?????

Out of this thread I got a really great jacket and got turned on to Darn Tough and Cabela's Ingenious socks. Man, I love those socks!!! In fact I'm wearing the Cabela's socks as I type this but the Darn Tough are my favorites. I think I have about a dozen pairs now.

TRIP WAS DELAYED . . .

Sorry this sort of fell through the cracks. We were planning to hike with my Sister and my B-I-L. We kept trying to work out dates with my B-I-L but he won partial legal custody of his daughter while we were planning this trip. That sort of screwed things up for setting our dates.

Everything got put on hold.

Then my sister got pregnant and is due this spring.

SO . . . we are starting over. My sister and B-I-L are now officially out.

My wife is now flying to London in April. Melen and I will be flying to London in early May when she is out of school at the end of her semester. The Hadrian's Wall walk is now back on. The lovely Mrs_Bob and I will be walking Hadrian's Wall in May of this year. Not sure if Melen is coming with us??? She may stay in London with my sister to help her with the baby??? Just not sure about Melen.

NOW the problem is planning for the weather.

We bought gear and tested gear that was suitable for a JULY/AUGUST walk. The temps/rainfall/etc in mid-MAY are very different. So we have less time to plan and need to figure out our gear.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, looking at the weather forcasts, might have to rethink the rain gear we are bringing. Also will have to re-think the insulation layers because of cooler temps.

AVERAGE DAILY TEMP for middle of May = 48F / 9C
AVERAGE LOW TEMP = 42F / 6C
AVERAGE HIGH TEMP = 54F / 12C

Chance of Rain = 60%

Chance of Sunny Day = 27%

Chance of Clouds = 12%

With a 16% chance of Windy Days

So we have light nylon rain gear, but I'm thinking I may up that rain gear to a more breathable type of rain gear that will be a bit more suiteable for the significantly higher chances of rainfall.

Basically there are several types of raingear for hikers. Light raingear, like the stuff we own, is simply nylon, often silicone impregnated. It is good for the occasional shower but it is better suited for light rains/drizzle/mist. It does not breath well, so moisture is trapped inside and can actually form condensation on the inside. It is not suiteable for wearing for long periods. Basically the clouds open up, you put it on. The rain goes away, you remove it. The seams are often NOT waterproof.

Then you go up a level or two and you get into the breathable fabrics, heat welded seams, storm proof zippers, vent panels, etc. It is also light enough that you can leave it on if the rain is sort of an on/off through the day sort of thing.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that it's time for a whole new shopping spree and series of evaluations. :w00t2::w00t2:

Probably going to head up to the REI store in Chicago one of these weekends after fencing season to check out some better rain gear. I'm a big fan of Arc'teryx because of the quality of materials and workmanship but it sure is expensive stuff. Their stuff is roughly double the price of anyone elses, but I really hate being soaked through and through and its ULTRA LIGHT weight so its easy to spend $350+ for a jacket that weighs 12 ounces. Their pants are about a 1/2 pound. So if you don't use the stuff there is just over a pound of extra gear in the backpack and if you do use it the value of the stuff is priceless.

I have one of their lightly insulated jacket and its my favorite jacket.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Planned to go to REI but then was looking around the internet and found a great deal on STEEPandCHEAP.com.

Marmot's Artemis men's jacket was given "Gear of the Year" award for rain jackets. They only had it in a dark red/red color, but it was also on sale for about 1/2 price. I'd have preferred blue. But I won't quibble since the price was so hot.

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoo...ar@gpkg/hike/The-Best-Jackets-of-2014#slide-2
THE BEST JACKETS OF 2014
Marmot Artemis
GEAR OF THE YEAR

Meet the new lead dog in the race to be the most breathable waterproof shell ever. The Artemis ($250) pulled ahead of the pack thanks to NanoPro, Marmot's new proprietary membrane, which is purportedly 60 percent more breathable than the company's previous offerings. Our field testing isn't that precise, but while hoofing uphill in a 50-degree downpour, one of our testers was stunned that he didn't overheat (as he did in a few other jackets he tested). The Artemis weighs in at just 11 ounces, despite having our favorite bells and whistles—pit zips, hand pockets, and a helmet-friendly hood—and it stretches in all the right places. Said one particularly impressed tester: "It feels like a tailored suit." 11 oz

The jacket should arrive sometime later this week, it will be interesting to see if it is as light and waterproof as the reviews.

Also found, again at STEEPandCHEAP.com, the ladies version of the jacket, so I ordered 2 of those, one each for Melen and the lovely Mrs_Bob.

Since the average temps will run between lower 40's to mid-50's (F) I'm thinking a light packable down vest might be good to have for the mornings too? Have to look into those. The vest could also work with these new rain jackets, which double as wind breakers for brisk mornings.

PHOTO BELOW IS A "STOCK" photo from the Marmot website. My jacket is dark burnt red over red, the only color available at the time I ordered.

Attachments

• marmot-artemis.jpg
    marmot-artemis.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 110

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
New rain jacket arrived today.

WOW, can't believe how light and thin this thing is. Fabric is supposed to be amazingly breathable (140% better than the best prior fabric) whatever that means. This is an entire jacket that weighs in at about 11 ounces. I slipped it on, feels great, has a somewhat athletic cut so if you have a gut then this is not going to work for you.

Pulled out a mid-layer jacket and slipped it on, then put this new rain jacket on over that and it still fit nicely. The arms are cut pretty loose so you can layer underneath and still move without bunching under your armpits. Stitching and materals all look to be of very high quality. Nice features like high side pockets to they will work with a backpack (waist straps of backpacks typically go right across most jacket pockets, but the pockets will easily fall above the waist strap on my packs). Has a mesh inside pocket at the chest, and a rainproof one on the outside too. Has little ports on the inside pocket to run earbud cords through. Has zippers under the armpits to prevent overheating in rainy/hot weather conditions. Even has a moldable brim on the hood to shape the brim to your liking. Everywhere you look are little details like cord stays so cords don't just dangle, cinch locks that are tethered to the jacket, etc etc etc.

So based on initial inspections, its an awesome light shell. Sort of looking forward to rain???

Now all that said, if I walked into a store and looked at this jacket hanging with all the other light wind breakers and light rain jackets and then looked at the price tag I'd say you are f***ing crazy. I got it at almost 1/2 off, which still seems darn expensive, given that the full price is $225.

If not for the awards this thing has won, and the testimonials, I would have serious reservations about paying that much money for such a light jacket. But, IF this jacket is as good as claimed, or even just 75% as good, then it will be worth double its weight in gold in a rainstorm.

Oh, and for travel this thing is supposed to neatly fold up and fit inside its own pocket. Not sure how the hell to do that. Strikes me that I'll probably just end up wadding it up and folding it into its pocket.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So for normal walking days I'm thinking that, with average temperatures varying from 40F to 55F, my clothes will entail a wool shirt, a micro-feece sweater/jacket, an insulated vest for warmth, and a light rain/wind jacket. Pants, of course.

For the wool shirts the ones I like the best are Merino Wool "henley" style shirts. Depending upon the brand, they have 3 or 4 buttons so I can vent heat if I get too warm, or keep them buttoned up to maintain warmth.

I really like the Mountain Khaki brand henley wools. I only own 2 of them, but they will be going with me. They are a relaxed cut, with flat seams so they won't rub under my pack straps and raglan style shoulders so there is no seam on the top of my shoulder where the pack imparts weight.

Ibex also makes a nice henley, they are more expensive, material is a bit thinner than the Mountain Khaki, and its cut with a more 'athletic fit' ... not quite so flattering for those of us with a belly that looks like we are 3 months pregnant. The Ibex shirts have 4 button while Mountain Khaki only has 3.

Other than the henley style shirts I have some Merino Wool pullovers, and one with a zipper front. These are from STOIC, ICEBREAKER and TERRAMAR. So those will be my base layer shirts. Some of them look like simple black long sleeve undershirts, most are some sort of dual color or have contrast stitching so they can 'pass' as a casual shirt. Hopefully the walking and the weather will cooperate enough that I don't need any other shirt over the baselayer shirts and the vest will then be used for core warmth. But if I do need another layer in-between the baselayer and the vest, I'll have a Micro-Fleece layer.

For the Micro-Fleece layer I'll be using a simple First Ascent Hangfire Softshell Fleece (made by Eddie Bauer) hoodless design. Being a full zipper model it will let me vent heat if I need too, and being light and thin it can be tossed into the pack easily. Its the thickness of a heavy shirt, but zippers instead of buttons. The shoulders are friendly for backpack straps with offset seams that are sewn flat to prevent rubbing under the packs pressure points. Some of you may remember my trip to the Eddie Bauer/First Ascent store a few pages back when I was looking for a FA Accelerant jacket: http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showpost.php?p=628380&postcount=135

For my vest I'll be wearing my Arc'Teryx "Atom". It is a lightweight vest with synthetic Core-Loft 60 insulation. It has side venting to prevent over heating. That is ideal when you are very active, may not be quite so ideal for standing and loitering by some ruins. The Arc'Teryx is impecibly made, it is designed by hikers for hikers and it shows. It is hard to see the side pockets, they are cut along the seam where the stretchy fleece material meets the insulated body, but they are cut high enough to be ABOVE the waist/hipbelt straps of the back pack. I like it for cool, not cold, wear. The sides are a stretch fleece material with no insulation. They hold the vest tight against your body so the vest fits easily under other layers. The Core-Loft insulation maintains warmth when wet, which is a bonus if I get caught out is a quick rain and don't slip on the rain/wind shell.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 98

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure what type of fashionable shirts the ladies in the group will be wearing, doubt they will venture out in Merino baselayers. But both of them own NORTH FACE microball synthetic vests.

I'm not generally a fan of North Face, its become very fashionable, and this vest shows as much fashion as it does practicality. The microbal insulation is amazing. Its as warm as real down but it maintains warmth when wet. Very few materials can make that claim. In addition it is as packable as down, and unlike other synthetics, the vest is featherweight too. So the materials in their vests are really good. But the pockets are cut for casual wear, stuffing your hands in them for warmth, and their hip straps will interfear with access to the pockets. But these vests will be warmer than my vest if the weather drops below 40 degrees F they will be more comfortable than I.

Oh, and no, they don't both have the same color vests.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 96