• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Audi A6 TDI (diesel)

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That is one of the nicest looking dash clusters I've seen. Congrats on the GREAT mileage. I'm surprised. I had no idea they got that kind of mileage.

Doc, just got back to he hotel after the obligatory trip to buy 1 of everything inside the Target store to keep my daughter stocked up on supplies until next we see her and we just had to refuel. So we drove here on Thursday, drove around town Friday and again this morning. . . On 1 19.5 gallon tank of fuel.

Honestly I thought that the mountains of West Virginia would have destroyed the fuel economy but they only dropped the average for the trip down by 0.8 mpg.

When buying this car I had hoped to achieve a long term 'combined' average of 35mpg, but it looks like 37mpg of normal city/suburban/rural driving is likely, and if highway trips are added then 39-41mpg is likely.

Melen drove it here when we went out for some errands and asked if she could keep the Audi and I would keep the Jetta. Uh, no! But nice try. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got home about 90 minutes ago. Roughly 725 miles each way. 5 day total trip, did lots of errand running while we were there so I easily drove 100 miles in and around town. Near as I can tell we used 2.5 tanks of fuel, maybe a bit more, for the entire trip. Ran the AC almost the whole way home today, that cost me about 3/4ths of 1mpg. Pulled into the driveway at exactly 42.0mpg for the day. Didn't make as good time today, lots of road construction on the trip north that slowed us down.

Fuel economy in Winston-Salem, which has lots of stop and go traffic, was about 27mpg. Not nearly as good as I get at home, but I do more rural and suburban driving at home.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That still amazes me Bob. I checked out the dealer inventory at our nearest dealer to see if they had some '14 TDI's left and all the stickers said mileage in the mid-20's to low-30's.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That still amazes me Bob. I checked out the dealer inventory at our nearest dealer to see if they had some '14 TDI's left and all the stickers said mileage in the mid-20's to low-30's.

The Audi 3.0 liter diesel is rated 24 city, 37 hwy.

As with my daughters Jetta (2.0 liter) the actual mileage exceeds the declared mpg.

The user forums are full of reports of owners proclaiming higher than EPA ratings for diesels of various brands, while the opposite is generally true of owners of gas cars. Clearly the type of driving you do will affect the mpg.

I noted my mpg in Winston-Salem as lower than I get around my area, but it included far more stop and go situations. Highway mpg is stellar. From Winston-Salem to east-central Kentucky, with the AC running from southern Virginia, the mpg was about 40.5 and i attributed most of that to the hills and mountains. The road leveled out on east-central KENTUCKY and remains flat up to northern Indiana and the mpg climbed up to 42.0 for the entire trip fuel economy. When I was not in construction zones The car was running at roughly 80mph. I got slightly higher mpg on the trip down but we had less southbound construction and the AC was not running because the weather was 30 degrees cooler on the southbound leg.

Just over 3000 miles on the car and my long term mpg is over 39mpg. Clearly that is influenced by the roughly 55% highway miles I have driven, mostly in the past week. I expect a real long term mpg average of closer to 36 or maybe 37. I will be happy with 35 or more.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Just over 3000 miles on the car and my long term mpg is over 39mpg. Clearly that is influenced by the roughly 55% highway miles I have driven, mostly in the past week. I expect a real long term mpg average of closer to 36 or maybe 37. I will be happy with 35 or more.

Mel's dad, that's over 6 months driving for me these days. Maybe we need a new metric for people like me, something like miles per month or miles per quarter. :biggrin:

Unless something unusual is going on, I only fill up the diesel truck with 36 gallons about twice a year. I don't drive it very often.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mel's dad, that's over 6 months driving for me these days. Maybe we need a new metric for people like me, something like miles per month or miles per quarter. :biggrin:

I lied it's actually just under 3000 miles (about 20 miles short of my claim, but I was tired when I pulled in the garage last night).

It's 15 miles to the cigar lounge, 15 miles home, then another 7 miles the other direction to school for fencing...oh and 12 miles to the fencing club, which is back the other direction. Those are the places I go most often, but sometime I go to a school in Illinois for fencing, 22 miles each way, and nowhere near any of the other places:neutral:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds like my truck. It's 10 years old and is currently sitting at 49K.

I'm kind of pissed right now. We seemed to have lost the only key to our Audi. Looks like it's going to be $200-300 to get a new one made.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
...We seemed to have lost the only key to our Audi. Looks like it's going to be $200-300 to get a new one made.

Ah the wonders of German engineering, you can't make it more expensive than the Germans!:doh:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds like my truck. It's 10 years old and is currently sitting at 49K.

Darn BC, you're as bad as me. My truck is almost 15-years old and is sitting at 78K. I put a lot of miles on it when I first got it but the last few years it's barely been used. I take it on a 6-mile run in to town every few weeks just to blow the dust off it. :biggrin:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well just passed the 4000 mile mark with the A6 TDI.

I have noticed that the COLD WEATHER fuel economy drops.

The engine is designed to completely shut down when you come to a stop light, as you take your foot off the brake the car restarts before you foot gets over to the accelerator pedal. In temps NEAR OR BELOW FREEZING it seems like this feature is disabled. That feature seems to increase fuel economy in my daily driving by roughly 4-5 mpg. While I was typically averaging 38+ mpg on my morning drive to the cigar lounge, I now am getting closer to 31 to 33 mpg. Some of that may be because I am more used to the car, probably driving it a bit faster, but I think a good portion of the drop is the fact that the engine Stop/Start feature is disabled by the car's computer in FREEZING weather.

Oh, and I am at the AUDI Service today with the car.

Left rear brake light is dead. It will be replaced under warranty.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Who would have thunk it? I'm shocked that feature ups the mileage that much. Obviously some good engineering on Audi's part.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Who would have thunk it? I'm shocked that feature ups the mileage that much. Obviously some good engineering on Audi's part.
My Prius does the same thing. Turn your inside temp down and it will shut off more often. The engine runs to satisfy the temp selected by the driver for heat and defrost.