• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

musk ox veiwing

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I took some out of towners to the top of newton peak to see the local musk ox herd we were able to run up below a snow bank and crawl up to with in 30 yards down wind for some excelent pics. Sorry no snow cats in them to get it included would have put us up wind and spooked them

Attachments

• engine rebuild 004.jpg
    engine rebuild 004.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 197
  • engine rebuild 005.jpg
    engine rebuild 005.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 209
  • engine rebuild 006.jpg
    engine rebuild 006.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 194

snowbird

Wow! They almost look like some prehistoric animals. I thought maybe they'd become extinct. Thanks for the pictures.

wesley

Wasn't there a Canadian military tracked snow vehicle called the Musk ox? If I remember correctly it was made in the mid 40's-late 50's, and from the few grainy pictures I saw it looked pretty cool.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wasn't there a Canadian military tracked snow vehicle called the Musk ox? If I remember correctly it was made in the mid 40's-late 50's, and from the few grainy pictures I saw it looked pretty cool.

There is a American one here in Minnesota came the the Aberdeen proving grounds 62,000 pounds 55 feet long it is a dynometer machine for testing tanks there is a picture on here I post some years back

There was one made in Canada called a penguin look a lot like a Muskeg

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Found my picture of when we hauled it back

Attachments

• Musk%20Ox,jpeg.jpg
    Musk%20Ox,jpeg.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 181

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow! They almost look like some prehistoric animals. I thought maybe they'd become extinct. Thanks for the pictures.
they eat the lichens off the rocks in the winter they stay on top of the hills wich are wind blown they dont use much more energy than they have to so they wont move much as long as there is feed but they will surprise you how fast they can move if provoked also most what you see is fur about 12 to 14 inches long dressed out they are about the size of a large deer or small elk and they taste like buffalo

wesley

Penguin! I think that's what I was thinking of. The Canadian army called them Armoured snowmobiles. :doh:They used them in an operation called "Muskox".

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think that Bison/Buffalo were a completely different species than Musk Ox. No?

Musk Ox downturned horns, Bison upturned horns.