• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte 1202B fuel filter

zspryte

Site Supporter
Greetings - I usually tell the auto parts guys I have a '67 Falcon with a 170 CID six cylinder when I want engine parts for my '67 1202B Spryte. Up until now, this has worked okay. I need to replace my fuel filter and my Spryte appears to have an integrated fuel pump/filter set up - not an inline filter like a Falcon. Does anybody know the correct fuel filter to ask for at the auto parts store? Unfortunately, my local auto parts guys aren't big into finding matches by opening boxes. Also, is there a better "car" to give when getting engine parts?

Thanks in advance.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I think my Ford 300 engine has the same type of fuel filter. I took the pump/filter off and could not get it apart.
It leaked so I bought a whole new one. Couldn't get that apart either :unsure: so I put an inline filter in, too.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Carquest part number 40003 for the 300 6 cylinder fuel pump/filter assembly with the filter facing up and the fuel lines should line up perfect. The can to hold the filter on the fuel pump can be purchased separately. The Carquest fuel filter can has a nut welded on the end of the can for easy removal and the NAPA did not have the nut in the past. If anyone needs the part number for the Carquest fuel can only I have a new one but it is buried somewhere in the snow cat parts. I will dig it out if needed and get the part number.

Also on your snow cat make sure you have a 12 volt electric solenoid fuel shut off valve in line that works off the ignition to shut fuel supply off when your fuel tank sits above the carb engine height when the ignition is off. Just this week I found an LMC with a leaky fuel filter that was draining the 45 gallon fuel tank on the ground in out local snow cat parking area. The gasket in the can had went bad and fuel was just thermo siphoning out of the tank thru the bad gasket on to the ground. I have mentioned several times to this owner to install the solenoid but he has not done it. His wife had driven the cat out alone and did not even smell the gas. Also I have said this before here on FF if the original shut off has been removed replace it now before a problem occurs. Without a valve and if your fuel pump or something in the fuel line goes bad you have a potential for a quick fire that can destroy your cat.:hammer:

Also, if you have the filter/fuel pump combo on the Ford engine, install an additional in line fuel filter between the pump and carb. There is just to much potential of getting something in the fuel filter when changing filters with the can facing up. If this happens you can stick the needle and seat in the carb and flood the engine with fuel. The 12 volt valve in line is still needed for full protection and I do not recommend a manual shut off as then you take the lazy way out and forget about using it.:whistling:

Snowcat Pat

Hey mtntopper, Thank you for sharing the filter part number. Would you please share the maker and part number for the solenoid shutoff valve? I have had trouble with reliability (ie; leaking) of anything electrical(gauge senders, switches, pumps) in the fuel line, but a solenoid valve is the way to go if it will not leak.
-Pat

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Hey mtntopper, Thank you for sharing the filter part number. Would you please share the maker and part number for the solenoid shutoff valve? I have had trouble with reliability (ie; leaking) of anything electrical(gauge senders, switches, pumps) in the fuel line, but a solenoid valve is the way to go if it will not leak.
-Pat

Here is a link to the fuel shutoff valve that looks just like the one I purchased through Petterson in 2006. I do not have that cat anymore but this appears to be the same and is much less than I paid in 2006. I used a HD metal conduit clamp and fastened the valve to the frame between the fuel filter/fuel pump and carb while adding another inline filter after the valve. The valve to date has not given me or the new owner any problems with reliability. I suggest you make it easy to bypass when installing if required by a field failure. I built a bypass hose/line and kept it in the cat tool box just in case.

http://www.dan-marc.com/rv-parts-12-volt-fuel-shut-off-valves.html

The part number for the fuel filter housing can located on top of the fuel pump when installed in a snow cat is a Doorman 55165 and it has the nut welded on the bottom to help in replacing the element with only a standard wrench required. Using a strap or can wrench in the tight space is not easy and the nut on the can makes filter replacement a snap.

Again so there is no confusion the fuel pump assemble to fit, it is a Carquest part number 40003. The fuel lines line up correctly and the mechanical arm is in the proper position to work the fuel pump when installed on the cat with the filter can facing up.

Snowcat Pat

mtntopper, Thanks for the link.

If I were to mount the valve at a high point above both the fuel tank and carb then any leak in the valve would break the siphon and not drain the tank. Maybe leave the hose a little long to bypass the valve if it should leak. Though it might be better to mount it just ahead of the carb fuel inlet.

The homebuilt has two tanks, three filters and two electric fuel pumps switched so only one is on at a time. The tanks are mounted higher than the carb and fuel continues to seep into the hot carb after shutdown making quite the gasoline smell until the engine cools off, about ten minutes. I always shut off the fuel pumps before shutdown but the gas siphons into the carb anyway as the engine heat vaporizes the fuel in the carb and fumes exit thru the carb vent. With full tanks the engine will run without either fuel pump on. An actual valve should solve the siphon problem. In the past I would disconnect the fuel lines (using boat couplers) but its a hassle when the weather is a blizzard.

It used to have a electric fuel pressure guage but the sender started leaking so I replaced it with a low fuel pressure warning lamp untill that sender started leaking so I gave up on the bells and whistles.

I'd like the machine to be be more user friendly so others can drive it without much instruction, so an electric fuel shut-off wired to the ignition key will be a good thing.

BTW, I've always had two fire extinguishers mounted just inside each door.

-Pat

zspryte

Site Supporter
Thanks for the valve info mtntopper, but I think you jinuxed me. After dealing with my fuel pump and filter, I had to get my carburator rebuilt. After 42 years of service, it was time to get the junk out it. Rebuilt carb, full tank of gas, and my Spryte runs great. All finished, I parked the cat on a slight downhill grade until my next weekend of use.

While I had ordered the inline fuel value shutoff, it had not come before I headed out to use my cat again. I arrived Friday night after a 4 foot dump to retrive my cat and ride in. As I approached it, I noticed a slight gas smell. When I had filled the tank the week before, I spilled some gas so I thought maybe that was the smell. When doing a little digging out around the front, the gas smell was super strong. Turns out the gas tank was higher than the carburator and drained 8 gallons of gas into the engine. The gas filled the lower engine and purculated up through the dip stick tube.

When I got home Sunday night, my valve was waiting for me in my mail box. You can geuss what I am installing this weekend! I figure after I get the valve in place I can figure out what is wrong with the carburator that caused this. Maybe the float if off a bit or one of the valves still has some dirt in it.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the valve info mtntopper, but I think you jinuxed me. After dealing with my fuel pump and filter, I had to get my carburator rebuilt. After 42 years of service, it was time to get the junk out it. Rebuilt carb, full tank of gas, and my Spryte runs great. All finished, I parked the cat on a slight downhill grade until my next weekend of use.

While I had ordered the inline fuel value shutoff, it had not come before I headed out to use my cat again. I arrived Friday night after a 4 foot dump to retrive my cat and ride in. As I approached it, I noticed a slight gas smell. When I had filled the tank the week before, I spilled some gas so I thought maybe that was the smell. When doing a little digging out around the front, the gas smell was super strong. Turns out the gas tank was higher than the carburator and drained 8 gallons of gas into the engine. The gas filled the lower engine and purculated up through the dip stick tube.

When I got home Sunday night, my valve was waiting for me in my mail box. You can geuss what I am installing this weekend! I figure after I get the valve in place I can figure out what is wrong with the carburator that caused this. Maybe the float if off a bit or one of the valves still has some dirt in it.

When you change out the upside down fuel filter it is very easy to drop a piece of crap in the fuel filter housing which then sticks in the needle and seat of the carb which allows fuel to drain into the engine. Add an additional in line filter between the fuel pump filter and the carb to make sure this does not happen again. The problem is now solved forever with the shutoff valve and in line filter.