• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New PC - Any setup or operating tips & tricks?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's sitting here in the box yelling for me.

Windows 7 and such. I'm hoping the old "File and Settings transfer wizard" still exists and that will be my way of loading it.

Any tips or tricks?

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
It's sitting here in the box yelling for me.

Windows 7 and such. I'm hoping the old "File and Settings transfer wizard" still exists and that will be my way of loading it.

Any tips or tricks?
Yes BC the "File and Settings transfer wizard" is on Windows 7 as well , allthough I didn't use it when I set mine up a few months ago. I had everything I needed to save on a flash drive and did it that way cuz my old puter was to iffy to try and transfer, at least in my mind because it was the hard drive that was screwed up.

But it was very simple even setting it up like that, cant think of any tricks to make it any simpler though. I do really like the Windows 7 version much better then XP as that was what I had before. Best of luck.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
If coming from XP or Vista it shouldn't be too big a problem really. What version of Win 7 as their are some features of Pro and above that are not included with those below. Now with that said there are free downloads from Microsoft so they are available. One is the ability to install a program that won't run under Win 7 but will under different version of XP or Vista.

The file system however on Win 7 is a bit different. In my opinion once one gets used to it, it might seem a bit smarter.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Joe.

I was pretty surprised to find a Windows 7 driver for one of my printers. I was thinking I was going to need all new printers as well.

Picked up a sweet audio system to go with it. Tried it on my other computer this morning. Logitech z623.

This computer is an all-in-one. Processor and stuff built right into the screen. It's a HD TV and touch screen and stuff as well.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Joe.

I was pretty surprised to find a Windows 7 driver for one of my printers. I was thinking I was going to need all new printers as well.

Picked up a sweet audio system to go with it. Tried it on my other computer this morning. Logitech z623.

This computer is an all-in-one. Processor and stuff built right into the screen. It's a HD TV and touch screen and stuff as well.

I was also surprised when I switched to Win 7 as I've not plugged in anything so far that has been straight up plug and play. That included even a scanner that I never could get drivers for XP but now works fine with 7.

I have a touch screen monitor on my security system computer, but too fat of fingers I guess wound up adding a key board and mouse to it. Fingers are fine until you try to access the lower right hand icons to load or update software.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
One of the things i like on 7 is the way it just goes off and finds a driver for you...xp i used to store all my drivers as back up and now that is a thing of the past....to be honest i feel it is pretty much a idiot proof O/S.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
One of the things i like on 7 is the way it just goes off and finds a driver for you...xp i used to store all my drivers as back up and now that is a thing of the past....to be honest i feel it is pretty much a idiot proof O/S.

I agree on it being pretty much idot proof but unlike Vista you also can control it to suite how you like to work.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
It literally took almost a decade of total and complete frustration of my time being wasted, but I've moved to the dark side. I now have about half of the 8 systems networked in my house Mac systems. Whatever version of Mac OS came with the $3k system I bought about 3 years ago just flat sucked as bad as Vista and Winders 7. Their new OS, along with my kids in college insisting on Mac machines (according to them, about 80% of IU students use Mac systems) finally convinced me to replace my desktop with an iMac.

Did you know that used computers aren't worth shit? I pulled a cat 5 cable out to my furthest barn and am just going to use my PC's in my barns for now. I've heard from several people that Microsoft's "Windows 8" is very similar to the new Mac OS. If that's the case, just hold out until Windows 8 comes out and you should have an easy to run system that you don't have to reboot constantly and that doesn't ever lock up. I'm still amazed that I'm yet to crash a Mac. Look at my olds posts from where I first tried a MacBook Pro. IMHO, it sucked! Clearly things changed quite a bit in a short period of time to make someone very cynical about Macs a convert.

The computer store that is still in operation on my side of town is the store I started when I was a "basement builder" and built up a good client base is telling everyone that they'll love Windows 8 because it's almost like a Mac. What really makes that odd is that they are NOT a Mac dealer; they have to send people to Best Lie to buy their Mac products but they do sell software for them and do warranty work on them. I think that part, Apple keeping a lot of control, is still a bit odd. Anyway, good luck. I'm sure you'll get it figured out. BTW, that 'all in 1' is the way to go, isn't it?! Man, I LOVE not having a huge CPU cabinet under my desk acting as a foot warmer anymore. :biggrin:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been running windows 7 now for about 6 months in the office and for 5 months on my lap top. I turn off the lap top at night but the office only gets rebooted after upgrades that require it. Neither machine as hung up failed to start on reboot nothing.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's what I do with any new computer that comes through the door:

1) IMMEDIATELY download and install Zone Alarm's free firewall
2) Go to the Control Panel and delete every program I know will never be used (a LOT of them!)

I also have several programs that are loaded as soon as the above are done, but since they are commercial and cost money
I won't "hawk" them. They're all worth having, so if you're interested let me know.

joec

GOLD Site Supporter

2) Go to the Control Panel and delete every program I know will never be used (a LOT of them!)

I also have several programs that are loaded as soon as the above are done, but since they are commercial and cost money
I won't "hawk" them. They're all worth having, so if you're interested let me know.

I pretty much do the same thing but the two new machine both came from Lenovo's business side and came with only a virus checker. I uninstall it and replaced with mine then installed my own stuff as needed for each machine. At that point I log on to the Internet and check (software with Lenovo system makes this real easy) for updates from Microsoft and Lenovo. Once that is done I customize the system to my way of working then back the system completely up. At that point I'm good to go but it does take some time to do it right.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter

THAT is one of the things I do NOT miss! That and paying for, and keeping up with, all the malware, antivirus, spyware, pop-up blockers etc. etc. etc. Yes, I know there are some evil doers trying to hit Mac machines, but I'm not aware of anyone who has any issues. I've had a free program on one Mac for those items but it's never caught anything. On my PC's a good program generally shows where it's stopped numerous potential attacks each day.

Not trying to sell anyone on them, but I did change. Sort of like Glock pistols. For the first 5 years they were out, I wouldn't even pick one up because "those Blocks were the ugliest firearm I'd ever seen". Now I own over a dozen Glock pistols. :biggrin:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

THAT is one of the things I do NOT miss! That and paying for, and keeping up with, all the malware, antivirus, spyware, pop-up blockers etc. etc. etc
I fired it up and pretty much did the same thing. Uninstalled Norton products and loaded up my preferred programs (Avast, MalWareBytes). I have some more to delete I'm sure but there's stuff on here I never heard of so will have to check out what it does before deleting. Did a Windows and Office update. Will do a backup today.

It took awhile but I got most of my settings and data off the old PC. Some programs came along but of the ones that didn't, there's only 1 that I'll have to go out and buy a new version.

E-mail appears to be my biggest issue right now. I was using Outlook Express with several identities on the old PC. Heard bad things about MS Live Mail so I tried the Outlook. It didn't import much of anything. It grabbed one ID and imported but it doesn't look like it's going to grab the others. I found some steps on a web page that says how to do it but it's going to be a PITA. (Install Outlook on old PC, put all date from OE into that, then transfer that to the new PC Outlook and try to get it running).