• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who eats seeds?

daedong

Every midmorning I have a bowl full of.
2 heaped dessertspoons of mixed seed, sunflower, pietas, pine nuts. 2 heaped dessertspoons of sultanas.
About 20 almonds.
And a small handful of dried apricots.

What do you have for smoko

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
daedong said:
Every midmorning I have a bowl full of.
2 heaped dessertspoons of mixed seed, sunflower, pietas, pine nuts. 2 heaped dessertspoons of sultanas.
About 20 almonds.
And a small handful of dried apricots.

What do you have for smoko

I pick the seeds out first. They burn too hot and taste really bitter.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, I wish you and I spoke the same language. What the heck is "smoko"?

As for the rest, almost daily I eat some form of granola and something that my wife makes for me that I lovelingly call "health pellets." It is a mixture of oats, blueberries, mashed pear and mashed bananas, it is flavored with a pinch of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. No sugar or anything else. She bakes it in a muffin tin and it bonds together into something that resembles a muffin, but it does not "raise" because there is no yeast in it.

AS for the other seeds you eat, I love pine nuts (pignoli) on a salad. No clue what a pietas is. I vagely recall hearing sultana but can't place it.

daedong

B_Skurka said:
Vin, I wish you and I spoke the same language. What the heck is "smoko"?

As for the rest, almost daily I eat some form of granola and something that my wife makes for me that I lovelingly call "health pellets." It is a mixture of oats, blueberries, mashed pear and mashed bananas, it is flavored with a pinch of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. No sugar or anything else. She bakes it in a muffin tin and it bonds together into something that resembles a muffin, but it does not "raise" because there is no yeast in it.

AS for the other seeds you eat, I love pine nuts (pignoli) on a salad. No clue what a pietas is. I vagely recall hearing sultana but can't place it.

Never hear of the term granola, simply called cereal bars here.

Sultana ---------dried grape
pietas--------pumkin seeds
Smoko-----common term here for a break during the day when at work, normally 10 mins, Cigarette time

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I usually eat Safeway brand mixed nuts (Pecans, Brazil, Cashews, Almonds, 50% Peanuts) for my "smoko". Lately, I've spiced it up with some M&M's (chocolate) but have now depleted that little supply so I am back to just nuts.

Granola is basically oatmeal and sometimes nuts and raisins. The oatmeal is covered in brown sugar and (cinamon, egg, flour, and ???) and then baked until it is crispy. It is really good.

PB

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
Vin, we took the kids to visit Britain and were offered muesli breakfast cereal with milk. We didn't know what it was until we saw it.

At home we would call that 'granola' and eat it dry as a snack.

I eat a lot of almonds. My city home is near the almond grower's packing house that processes something like 50% of the world crop. Almonds are expensive even there. $32 for a 5 lb bag of plain dried, or plain roasted, bulk almonds. I usually go back as soon as we run out. (thats $14/kg if I figured it right).

I wish I could get prices like that for my apples!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I eat my granonla in either 'bar' or 'loose' form. A granola bar is a great snack at work or in a car, but the loose form is commonly eaten by hand as a snack or in a bowl as a breakfast cereal. There are as many mixutures of as you can think of, but as PB points out, in the 'bar' form or the 'cereal' form, most often you will find something like Oats as a base to mix in the seeds and nuts. In the loose bag snack versions, oats are typically omitted completely.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Cityboy said:
Along with how many cold beers? :1062:
That's a different subject but not very often.

I'm eating cashews right now. A bit early for a beer...

jakki

DaveNay said:
I thought all Hawaiians were required to eat [SIZE=-1]Macadamia nuts? :puke1:[/SIZE]

lol, I'm an import though....:D Tried them, but find them too "buttery"? A me no like....They sell to tourists BIG TIME, like Kona Coffee....u ever try that? Not that good either....

.....(aside) I think I'm in a rather negative mood today...Oh well:whistle: