• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Evansville, IN burglar had a really bad day: Shot then Run Over!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think this guy needs to find an honest job. :hammer:

The burglar faced a resident with an "assault rifle" and lost, then his buddies ran him over with the get away car :w00t2:

Police: Armed burglar shot by resident
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/mar/15/police-armed-burglar-shot-resident/?printer=1/

By Gavin Lesnick
Originally published 03:10 p.m., March 15, 2009
Updated 03:10 p.m., March 15, 2009

A burglar who kicked in an apartment door this morning while brandishing a handgun was shot once by the resident and later run over outside, police said.

Derek Clark, 26, was shot once in the leg and was backed over by accomplices as they fled the scene, Evansville Police Department Sgt. Larry Nelson said. Clark is in intensive care at St. Mary's Medical Center.

Detectives have not yet been able to speak to Clark and are still looking for the accomplices. Nelson said there are multiple other people involved.

It happened about 5 this morning at 28-year-old Derrick G. Murray's apartment, 421 E. Riverside Drive.

Speaking this afternoon outside of his residence, Murray said he was thankful it happened when his four children were out of town. As he went to retrieve his assault rifle from his bedroom to defend himself, this morning Murray said he thought of the kids.

"I just felt like 'I can't die right now," he said. "I got too many kids, I got too much to lose. I can't die right now."

According to a police incident report, Murray told officers he heard his back door kicked in and someone saying "it's the police, get on the ground."

Murray reportedly retrieved the rifle and confronted Clark, who pointed his handgun at Murray. Murray reportedly then shot Clark once.

Police say Clark then ran outside and attempted to get into a gray Lincoln waiting outside. But the vehicle, with multiple other people inside, instead backed over Clark and fled the area, the report said.

Nelson said Murray told investigators he did not know Clark and had no idea why anyone would target his house. Detectives are still looking into why his residence was targeted.

"We're not sure yet," Nelson said. "We're not sure if he had the right house."

Nelson said Murray acted correctly in shooting Clark, especially since he was armed.

"He had a right to protect himself," Nelson said.​

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Shot, run over and soon to be in custody after a hospital stay. :clap:

Yup, seemed like the guy had a good day :whistling: I know I posted this one in the OPEN FORUM, but it seems to me that it should have been posted in the POETIC JUSTICE forum but we don't have one of those.

One thing that I noticed was the homeowner used an assault rifle to defend his home. I've honestly been giving that a lot more thought lately. A short rifle with 223 rounds like Hornady TAP or even varmint ammo will easily penetrate a human body but actually penetrates DRYWALL far less than a 9mm or than Buckshot. Seems like its light weight and low recoil makes it ideal for in-home use, especially attractive for wives and older children who may be recoil shy. And the fact that over-penetration is not much of an issue makes it much safer for use inside a house when pets or innocents may be on the other side of a wall.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Got just the thing for you if you can find one. Sig pistol. I thought they were stupid, but now happen to have 'a few' of them. :wink:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you admit it. This was your home they tried to rob!!!

Where were Dargo and Bruno? Cowering in the corner???? If this was my home you can bet that Snowball Puff would have clamped his tiny teeth on that guys ankle and tripped him. Probably then shoved his little sweater down the guys throat to muffle the screaming too!

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I'll admit that Bruno would help someone carry things off just for the off chance they may pet him or give him a treat. Hell, he'd probably get his ass kicked by Dargo because he'd most likely be trying to protect them from Dar. Bruno would make somebody a good mother. We have to put him away when we swim because he jumps in and tries to push the smaller kids out of the pool! :hammer: