• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Shopping for new pressure washer

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My old one bit the dust and with it getting nice out (finally) I have a few pressure washer tasks I'd like to get to sooner rather than later.

So far I'm considering a Generac 3200 psi 2.7 GPM OHV Engine Axial Cam Pump Gas Pressure Washer Speedwash
priced $449 at home depot. Online it's priced at $400. I went to Home Depot to look it over but not only is it not in stock they don't even show they sell it. They have Ryobi, Dewalt and others but no Generac.

The other I'm considering it a Stihl RB 400 DIRT BOSS. It's listed at 2700 psi and only has a 25ft hose. The Generac comes with a 30' hose. The Stihl is listed at 579 and the dealer will sell it to me for $550. $150 more than the Generac. Both have similar features except for less pressure from the Stihl.

What would you buy?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
More later but keep shopping. What you listed is shit for the $$$.

thepooguy

go to the outfits that build them. carwash supply guys. you will get 3000ish psi and more importantly 3.5 gpm. gmp is much more important than psi. 25 years ago I had one built
(only took them 15 min) and I have never done any thing other than replace the hose. the gpm is where you get the grease cutting power as well as a wider angle of coverage. I have a cat pump and to be honest I only changed the oil in it once and it still works like day one. hope this helps

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in the sticks, I don't have any carwash supply guys around.

Links please.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a 25 year old Karcher electric, 1600 psi that's been used a lot and still going strong. One Mine I worked at had a 3500 psi press washer and if there was a nick in the paint on a vehicle and you got too close it would start peeling paint.
Mike

leadarrows

I bought my dad a DeWalt DXPW60604 Gas Pressure Washer 3800 PSI @ 3.5 GPM Direct Driveand it works great. Takes the paint off of brick.
They also have a 4200 psi model. The pros say get at least a 4000 psi unit.
I researched this for a business once and the pros recommend building one like thepooguy suggested. Personally for home use this Dewalt seems to be more then adequate.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had a Karcher electric, 1300 psi. It did a great job for the last 15 years. I'm guessing some water was in it when put away last fall and it froze up and broke something inside.

I was due for a newer gas one anyway. Hated messing with the electric cord, water supply hose and the power washer wand hose. Going with gas will eliminate one cord.

The ones I'm looking at have 4 or 5 nozzels so that you can reduce the pressure so that it matches the job. They have one for washing a car or off road equipment. One for house siding, one for concrete cleaning and one for spraying soap to wash things. The soap one is the lowest pressure. Concrete uses the highest pressure.

jwstewar

I used to buy the pump saver stuff from Lowes to Winterize my pump. At that time it was $5 per can for several, but it kept going up $1 each year. Last time I bought it was like $7.97. So I got mad and just start pumping RV antifreeze through it. I have it from the camper and I also use it to winterize the yard sprayer pumps and such. I've not had any issues since I started using it and that has been 4 or 5 years now.

thepooguy

I have always thought that for the homeowner not the pro, they should build one out of a weed wacker motor. Make it hand held and just run a garden hose to it. Who wants a pressure washer with a ten foot hose that needs a electric cord and hose ran to it. It would have that cool tool feel to it as well.:wink:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never considered winterizing them as I don't know how. Do you use a pump to pump in the RV antifreeze in place of hooking on the garden hose?
I had normally kept my Karcher in the basement where it would not freeze.

One feature I am looking for is the suction hose to feed Boat hull cleaner to the sprayer. Using the suction feature (aka downstream injector) will allow me to use the Hull cleaner which has acid in it, and it will not run through the pump which would be hurt by the acid.

Any other brand recommendations? Do you know if the DeWalt model has the suction feature?

Last edited:

leadarrows

I made a short hose with a funnel. I add some RV antifreeze to the funnel and run it till the RV antifreeze comes out of the hose. I take the wand and the hose off for winter.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still looking. Considering a SIMPSON Cleaning MSH3125-S 3200 PSI at 2.5 GPM w/ Honda engine.
Can't find anything with significantly higher GPM in the $500 price range. I like the Honda engine in the Simpson. And it's only $379 both on Amazon and at Home Depot. Home Depot will even deliver it to my house for free, like Amazon. Hmmm.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Still looking. Considering a SIMPSON Cleaning MSH3125-S 3200 PSI at 2.5 GPM w/ Honda engine.
Can't find anything with significantly higher GPM in the $500 price range. I like the Honda engine in the Simpson. And it's only $379 both on Amazon and at Home Depot. Home Depot will even deliver it to my house for free, like Amazon. Hmmm.

Those are some pretty good spec's for a unit at that price point.

I have a 13hp Honda and a Cat pump on mine. We use a rotary nozzle that will take the D.O.T. reflective tape right of a semi trailer if your not very careful to stay off them... Paint that is not 100% is simply gone to...

I bought mine used from a neighbor for $500 years ago...

Regards, Kirk

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

I have a similar unit from Home depot. 15years old Honda 6.5 engine no name on it. :mrgreen: still runs fine.

I also have a Karcher electric we use for the small stuff.

jwstewar

I never considered winterizing them as I don't know how. Do you use a pump to pump in the RV antifreeze in place of hooking on the garden hose?
I had normally kept my Karcher in the basement where it would not freeze.

One feature I am looking for is the suction hose to feed Boat hull cleaner to the sprayer. Using the suction feature (aka downstream injector) will allow me to use the Hull cleaner which has acid in it, and it will not run through the pump which would be hurt by the acid.

Any other brand recommendations? Do you know if the DeWalt model has the suction feature?

I use a separate pump to winterize mine. I have a couple of small pumps that I use with the camper to pump water from a tank in the truck to the fresh water tank in the camper. Since it needs winterized too, I just use it to pump the RV antifreeze and kill two birds with one stone.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Doc - I had a long post drafted but lost it. :(

The short version of my lost post... I'd recommend the Simpson.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Man, sorry BC. I hate when I have a long post and try to post it and the internet does not cooperate. :( Would you mind doing highlights ....with more info please?

Unfortunately, I will be in a walmart tomorrow. So I thought I take a looksie and see if they have any power washers that might be of interest. They show one and claim 5.0 gal per min. :wow: Can this be true? I have my doubts. the to good to be true kind of thing. by chance, does anyone have one of these?

Attachments

• WalmartPressureWasher.jpg
    WalmartPressureWasher.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 17

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Jim. That is more what I expected. I've looked at some $3000 pressure washers that were not 5gpm. :pat:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know if I'm preaching to the converted here but many pressure washers, and other small engine stuff, use Honda engines. Most that I see on pressure washers are the Honda "GC" engine. This is Honda's "commercial" grade engine. They also make a similar engine in "industrial" grade. That's their "GX" engine. I'm not saying that the "GC" engine is bad, it's what I have on my pressure washer, but be aware that there is a more robust and more expensive alternative out there.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple highlights that were lost.

When you look at brands, do an internet search for who owns the company. This helps in that you get an idea of the quality of the companies products as well as their sister companies who may have a similar product that may be offered at lower prices (because of the name brand it carries). Some pressure washers seem to have an identity crisis. E.g. Mine is a Troy Bilt. The plate on it says owned by Briggs & Stratton yet it has a Honda engine. To further complicate its identity, MTD owns Troy Bilt so why does it say Briggs & Stratton?

Just found this which may help:
https://pressurewashr.com/best-pressure-washer-brands/

Can you give us an idea of your main projects? If cleaning machinery and cars, I'm thinking you're looking at too big of washer. Anything over about 2500 PSI or 2.5 GPM may damage whatever you're spraying, especially painted surfaces or things not intended to get a lot of PSI (e.g. engine compartments). If you're using something as powerful as you're looking, be sure to stand back a bit and/or use the wider/widest angle nozzle. The jet nozzle will easily take paint off on even the small washers.

If you're still considering a Generac, look at their different models. The one you originally selected isn't one of their better models.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Bczoom, I think that we may have the same Troy Bilt power washer. I never realized it had an identity crisis. I will treat it more kindly and sympathetically in the future. :)

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brian. I appreciate your insights and the link (I searched but had not found that one). Great info.
I see why you simply said: Buy the Simpson. LOL

Much like when I bought a tractor with a FEL, I'm not sure what my main projects with the pressure washer will be. I know I have plenty of equipment to clean, plus cars n trucks, plus side by sides. I also will do the siding on the house once or twice a year. Plus the boat every week or two. Cleaning the concrete is the only project that I have heard needs full pressure.

So I plan to buy the higher pressure pressure washer and use the nozzles to back it down depending on the task.

Thanks again Brian, your info helped.

Bamby

I have personally used several different pressure washers. On the electric ones there simply isn't any choice the come with a simple on / off switch. But as of yet all the gasoline ones have come with a adjustable throttle that could be utilized to adjust pressure output for the task at hand. I run mine a lot at half to two thirds power unless full pressure is really needed.

Last edited:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Right on Bamby. That is how my old electric power washer worked. It was 1300 psi.

Last night I ordered this simpson from home depot. Simpson
PowerShot 3,300 PSI 2.5 GPM Gas Pressure Washer Powered by Honda
Reliable high performance premium HONDA GX200 Engine
Maintenance free AAA Triplex Pump with PowerBoost Technology
Flexible and kink resistant MorFlex Polyester hose

I will pick it up at the store later this week. They would have shipped to my home for free but I read of to many shipped to the home that had oil all over the inside, and or the box damaged. So I will check inside the box before I leave the store.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Sounds good Doc. Since we're spending your money, if that one only has a 25' hose, you may want to splurge and get something longer. I think mine is 25' and it's a PITA sometimes like when washing something large like the truck. It's hard to wash the whole truck without having to move the pressure washer so you can get the hose all the way around.

Bamby

Pick yourself up some extra O-rings that are used in the nozzle and hose end fittings. And you may want to consider getting another length of pressure hose. If it's available choose the smooth skinned shinny hose it cleans so much easier at the end of the day and it's a lot easier to pull around all day to boot.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was planning on a longer pressure hose. Thanks for the O-ring suggestion. I will pick up some of those while I'm at the store.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
To keep your O-rings running for a very long time, lubricate them with Vaseline (or some kind of petroleum jelly). I'm still on the original set and it's probably been 15 years.