• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

MANURE

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Manure: In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported
by ship and it was also before commercial fertilizer's invention, so
large shipments of manure were common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when
wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, it not only became heavier, but the
process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane
gas. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what
could (and did) happen.

Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came
below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just
what was happening.

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the term "Ship
High In Transit" on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high
enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold
would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane.

Thus evolved the term "S.H.I.T " , (Ship High In Transport) which has
come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term.

OkeeDon

beds said:
lol! It's such a pessimistic crowd here! Not taking anything at face value!
Funny; I would have thought the opposite. About 90% of the crowd here appears to believe every line they hear, depending on the source. If it's from Bush/Cheney/Rumsfield/Rice and crowd, the majority never questions anything. If it's from Fox News, they regard it as biblical.

I wish we had a Snopes for politics.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
PBinWA said:
That snopes is such a buzz kill.

I knew that before I posted it, but figured it was still a good story..... If anyone noticed, I posted the Jury Duty with the snoops link.......

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OkeeDon said:
Funny; I would have thought the opposite. About 90% of the crowd here appears to believe every line they hear, depending on the source. If it's from Bush/Cheney/Rumsfield/Rice and crowd, the majority never questions anything. If it's from Fox News, they regard it as biblical.

I wish we had a Snopes for politics.

90% ???? I don't think it is that high . If we base it off total wieght of all the members combined then it is less than 50% .Heck, in that case, my opinion alone would account for 47 % .

And I only believe what I want to hear , not what I need to hear .:pat: :confused: Well... a Fox is one of God's creatures so it must be true .....:yum: :yum:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
beds said:
lol! It's such a pessimistic crowd here! Not taking anything at face value!

I actually thought we were here for the entertainment value. :yum: :yum: True life is just outside and around the corner for most people. We are here hiding from that......:beer:

beds

kensfarm said:
I've been reading some old stories about making methane from manure..

This site has some interesting articles for small farming too.. scroll down to the Energy section for the methane plans.

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html

My wife's work introduces her to some characters. One fellow was living on crown land (huge tracts of land (monty python) that are owned by the government) and had been for 30 years. He had built a potato gun to protect himself from the RCMP, who sadly did haul him back to society. This thing was powered by his own rotting feces! Pretty ingenious guy. Too bad he's being forced to live in our society.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see... So it's actually the horses that make the law powerful up there.:yum: :yum: :yum:

Just messing with our northern neighbors...

beds

bczoom said:
I see... So it's actually the horses that make the law powerful up there.:yum: :yum: :yum:

They put the M in RCMP! And our military is sneaky powerful and saavy! We have Sea King helicopters don't cha know. And we bought some used subs from the Brits that are all leaky and drydocked! Thanks, Mith....

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I liked the original idea of the sailing ships, it was a good one, I wonder who thought it up? It makes a much better story than the true origin of the word.