• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Tracs for sale.

snowbird

Congratulations!:clap: Welcome to the forum and I'm sure everyone will want tons of pictures of your new toy in action.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Sound like I will be getting the red snow trac. Will be trying to finalize the sale today and shipper picking it up Saturday. Should have it in a couple of weeks.

I was looking at another snow trac in Palmer a few weeks ago, but it sold right before I called the owner (an Alaskan state trooper). The owner of that snow trac drove 20 miles, got his car stuck, walked through waist deep snow, and shoveled this one out to look at it for me. He say I owe him a beer. I think more than one is in order.

He told me the machine is in was in amazing condition and that I should buy it...you are supposed to listen to the police...right.

I'll let you all know if it works out.

Ryan
ryan congrats enjoy your new ride i drive mine every day just like a car because i can got a question on the 1600 rear main seals yesterday i noticed a puddle under my trac checked it and noticed oil driping from the rear of the engine do theyhave a rope seal or a full circle seal

leadvillerpm

There are a few places that can leak oil between engine and transmission.

I can leak from case halves or the cam plug. Both of these require splitting the case, but are not as common as either the rear main seal or flywheel oring.

The rear main seal is a full rubber seal that seals the case halves to the outside of the flywheel. Then there is a rubber o-ring in the inside surface of the flywheel to prevent oil from coming out wheel the bolt holes on the flywheel are. If you are taking it apart replace both rear main and o-ring.

If this is on the motor with the excessive end play ...That can definitely take out the rear main.

Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
thias has worried me since i put the motor back into service it was a chunk of rust and corrosion under the hood the thng had sat for over 5 years with out running so i kind of expected leaks from every where and was suprised when none appeared i have been driving this rig since september and this was the first time i had to add oil to it the engine was supposedly rebuilt and only run a season or two before the owner passed away so i have no clue what went into the rebuild or how competent the guy was im now running 5w40 synthetic in it starts good at -15 with no oil usage till the leak showed up so i'm guessing he did some thing right.any thing else you can think of while i have the engine out that i sould look at now that you know some of the history of the engine vw info is a little hard to come by up here.they wern't popular cars in ak .

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
hey Ryan i'm now having to address my end play problems with a new crank and block the guy putting it together in wasillia told me he still has your wiper motor pm me your address and i will passit on to him. your snow trac was in his shop not too long ago to get the trans rebuilt sounds like your rig in well taken care of

leadvillerpm

Snow trac delivery delayed until Tuesday morning. The anxiety is killing me. The shipper says he has had a blast loading and unloading it from various trucks. I am getting kinda irradiated that he is having fun with it and I'm sitting here waiting. I will post pics when I see it.

Ryan

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
in the guard every time we shipped a susv out seemed like northland had to tru 4 or 5 different flats before they had one that worked also i fund out that its not yours the guy in wasilla had a wiper motor for it was the fiers one you tried to get that one went to ca but he had also worked on yours and thinks it's one he did a 1600 conversion in.

leadvillerpm

I believe you are right about the 1600 conversion. The original motor was damaged when the flywheel cam off. The vw guy out there built a motor for someone with a bug and couple of days later he rolled it. He then bought that motor back and later installed it in this snow trac.

Ryan

mtnguyco1981

Ryan,

Did the Snow Trac arrive yesterday?

Snow trac delivery delayed until Tuesday morning. The anxiety is killing me. The shipper says he has had a blast loading and unloading it from various trucks. I am getting kinda irradiated that he is having fun with it and I'm sitting here waiting. I will post pics when I see it.

Ryan

leadvillerpm

YES, snow trac is here. Serial #58025...I think that makes it the 25th one built. It was not running very good last night. I could hardly get it out of 1st gear. I found it was only running on 3 cylinders. Put new points, cap, and rotor on it and drove it this morning. Can now start out in 3rd gear and have had it going around 20mph in my parking lot. Still needs some work before I take it on any long trips. I will post some pics today if I get a chance.

Ryan

utahwilson

curious as well about the altitude. Mine doesn't run very well at 7500'. I think leadviller mentioned he is at over 10k.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
ts all in the how you tune it he should be able to get it to run great but if he gets to sea level i bet it wouldn't run worth a hoot at sea level thats the beauty of efi its seld adjusting

leadvillerpm

I just set timing and dwell took it for a drive...blew my mind. There is a hill near my shop that is about a 45 degree pitch and it went right up it. I can't believe how capable these machines are. Tuned properly a 1600 single port puts out plenty of power for these machines even at 10,152 feet above sea level. I'll keep you all posted...hopefully with some pics soon. I've been having too much fun to take pics so far.

Ryan

mtmogs

Ah Leadville, US capital of low birth weight babies (it's true!) and gasping internal combustion engines. At ~10,100' above sea level, it's tough on man and machine. Anyway, it's a real neat town that has a snowcat feel to it. I used to visit as often as I could.

His 1600 VW engine will run like a 1200 of similar condition at sea level. Gasoline, diesel, n/a, turbo, efi, etc., you can't get around the fact that there are on average about 1/3 less oxygen molecules there than at sea level. Turbo would be a real boost to cramming more oxygen into the combustion chamber, but a turbo in Leadville will still have ~1/3 less hp than at sea level.

I agree with dds, we should all have EFI. The mass airflow sensor measures the amount of incoming air and automatically adjusts the amount of fuel. With the 'ol carburetor, well it's pretty messy isn't it with jetting and all that crap to achieve only a rough approximation of ideal stoichiometry for a narrow set of altitude, rpm, and load conditions.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
Ah Leadville, US capital of low birth weight babies (it's true!) and gasping internal combustion engines. At ~10,100' above sea level, it's tough on man and machine. Anyway, it's a real neat town that has a snowcat feel to it. I used to visit as often as I could.

His 1600 VW engine will run like a 1200 of similar condition at sea level. Gasoline, diesel, n/a, turbo, efi, etc., you can't get around the fact that there are on average about 1/3 less oxygen molecules there than at sea level. Turbo would be a real boost to cramming more oxygen into the combustion chamber, but a turbo in Leadville will still have ~1/3 less hp than at sea level.

I agree with dds, we should all have EFI. The mass airflow sensor measures the amount of incoming air and automatically adjusts the amount of fuel. With the 'ol carburetor, well it's pretty messy isn't it with jetting and all that crap to achieve only a rough approximation of ideal stoichiometry for a narrow set of altitude, rpm, and load conditions.
3 leyyers nox

leadvillerpm

Ok, here's some pics.

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3736.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like it's in great shape. I'm guessing the exterior has seen some new paint in the past. Either way, looks good!!!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks good. Once you get a few runs with it you will get as bad as Big Al!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
sharp ride what is that box in the corner of the pictuer on the left frnt picture. i also like the storage aera next to the driver i might box mine in the same way. it is amazing how clean that stuff stays when its away from the salt water the engine tin and alternator looks like new.

leadvillerpm

I believe the box you are talking about is a propane heater installed by the previous owner. It works well and is installed nicely, but a 20 gallon propane tank takes up too much room. I have ordered a 5 gallon tank that will fit under the bench seat.

IMG_3739.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
there was a silver box under the hood by the left front fender next to the voltage regulator. nice heater the other thing that is cool is allthe extra glass as far as the propane goes try too find a dot tank like on a fork lift you can put out side you dont want your tank inside if it gets too warm the vent can pop off and release lpg in your cabin. lp is a safe gas until your fuel air mix gets just right and you don't want it contained in your cabin .

leadvillerpm

Those silver boxes (one on each side of the engine compartment) are oil containers with valve that you can open and let oil drip on the chains for lubrication. I don't know if those are stock, but it looks like they are.

Ryan