• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Idler Wheel Problem

Manistee

Was looking at the idler wheel on my DMC 1450 this afternoon and was surprised to see it appears to be disintegrating. Is this something that happens to them with time, or should I be looking for another cause? The tracks were very loose and there was a few chunks coming out of it which I assumed was stones getting between the track and idler wheel. Tightened up the track a little bit, moved the unit forward and back about 30' and the first pic is what it looks like now. The second pic shows what the track looks like. If you grab the outer edge, you can move it up and down about 4" which is what has been recommended as good track tension.

Attachments

• 2013-05-27_20-33-05_430.jpg
    2013-05-27_20-33-05_430.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 204
  • 2013-05-27_20-34-21_672.jpg
    2013-05-27_20-34-21_672.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 206

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
Just a thought....if it is a toothed type idler it could be belt stretch and throwing every thing out of time and chewing it up.......or if a smooth type idler it may be that the materal is braking down frome age ..... understand this comes from a guy who has never laid eyes on a snow vehical!!!...but have wrenched on more than a few track type dosers......:smile:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that dosn't appear to be to be a factory ideler and as with bv 206's if the wrong material is used they will chunk out, also some typs of urethane also break down in the sunlight

Manistee

Thanks Ki0ho and dds, I was thinking it is probably photo-degradation of the tire, but thought it best to check here since it is my first tracked vehicle. Don't know if it is the original idler or not, it looks very much like the other side, except that one is not coming apart yet. Now going to have to find someplace to get a new tire cast, or a replacement idler wheel.