• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

"Lombard" oldest snow machine

nikos

The best snow grooming equipment - drags for cross country trails :yum::yum:

Nikos

I have to apologize for my laughing.
I usually when i do something by my hand or by my self, i try to find the best way to solve the problems.
At this days i am trying to construct a extra light drag equipment (parts of wood and iron) for my ST4. :hammer: (I will send the photos later) Not something particular, mechanic and heavy, but something simple only to play with it, and not to groom. (I am not groomer)
So i am laughing as a way, for my project, for what i do. Sometimes i need to sarcasm myself, in what i do. So my thoughts and my writes, are not necessary ironic.
When i saw the video with the steam Lombard, to pull a half dozen of sleighs with those heavy trees, i realize the forces, not only the horse power of these impressive machines, but the (vertical) forces from the heavyweight of the sleighs on the ground (snow). On those snow flat country trails, these heavy machines with the extra equipment (Sleighs and carries), were the best snow grooming drags.

I am thinking to put some trees on my snow drag.:yum::yum:

I am watching with a lot of interesting these unique stories with those historical "mechanical dinosaurs". We can understud how they dissapeared in the early years of 20th century, but i need to know HOW they lived in the past years, when they used to work.
Who says that the dinosaurs disappeared. They survived thanks to Don Loggah, and also there are few out of the museums, there are free in mother nature.

My respect and my appreciation to Mr "Iron Man"

Nikos

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Nikos, No apologies necessary ! i took no offense to anything you said ,all good people here. a steam log hauler sled by themselves weighs tons,i think if you throw a few pieces of logs or lumber on your drag it will work fine!:smile:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I have to apologize for my laughing.
I usually when i do something by my hand or by my self, i try to find the best way to solve the problems.
At this days i am trying to construct a extra light drag equipment (parts of wood and iron) for my ST4. :hammer: (I will send the photos later) Not something particular, mechanic and heavy, but something simple only to play with it, and not to groom. (I am not groomer)
So i am laughing as a way, for my project, for what i do. Sometimes i need to sarcasm myself, in what i do. So my thoughts and my writes, are not necessary ironic.
When i saw the video with the steam Lombard, to pull a half dozen of sleighs with those heavy trees, i realize the forces, not only the horse power of these impressive machines, but the (vertical) forces from the heavyweight of the sleighs on the ground (snow). On those snow flat country trails, these heavy machines with the extra equipment (Sleighs and carries), were the best snow grooming drags.

I am thinking to put some trees on my snow drag.:yum::yum:

I am watching with a lot of interesting these unique stories with those historical "mechanical dinosaurs". We can understud how they dissapeared in the early years of 20th century, but i need to know HOW they lived in the past years, when they used to work.
Who says that the dinosaurs disappeared. They survived thanks to Don Loggah, and also there are few out of the museums, there are free in mother nature.

My respect and my appreciation to Mr "Iron Man"

Nikos
if you are interested I have built one that works pretty good it was simple and in expensive I can e-mail you some pics .

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Dave, That link you posted is of a Steam Log hauler that i helped restore. It is machine number 70 that was made in 1914,there were 83 steamers made the last one in 1917. The man steering the machine is a good friend of mine Leon Noel. The machine is located in Lincoln N.H. at clarks trading post,White mountain Central R.R.,Where they have a tourist railroad,and museums of early Americana.There are parts of 5 different machines scrounged out of the Maine woods and 12 years before the restored machine was finished. heres a picture of me steering the same machine in 1989 when we first fired it.

DJ-steam-lombard_6260.jpg

heres me again steering the old beast a few years ago,the machine dont look any older ,but i do !!!!!:biggrin::biggrin:

IMG_3784.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Been a few years since i have set on the stearsman seat!!! I been working on the diesel lombard pretty steady,should have it runnng sometime next week :clap::clap: "MAYBE"!!!! You should have stopped by!!

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Been a few years since i have set on the stearsman seat!!! I been working on the diesel lombard pretty steady,should have it runnng sometime next week :clap::clap: "MAYBE"!!!! You should have stopped by!!

Please post a VIDEO :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had the troops today family time. . I plan to get there somehow before snow flies. Lots of great stuff up your way.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Well i did get the "Diesel Lombard" running a few days ago !!:biggrin::biggrin: and i threw a coat of flat black on it,still got some work to do on the skis and rubber tired front axle. Heres a picture so far.

IMG_1808.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The one from Brunswick,Harry Crookers machine,is now at the Logging museum in Bradley Maine. The museum has just finished restoring a steam lombard of their own,and i believe there supposed to have a steam up of both machines this August 1st!!!!! i may try to go to their meet. Don

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The one diesel lombard that was factory built,pulled a record load of 108 1/2 cords of pulpwood on sleds. the weight of the cordwood and sleds was around 300 tons!!!:biggrin::biggrin: pretty good for a 10 ton tractor even if it was on ice!:smile::smile:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I got the rubber tired axle welded up and installed!! its a bear to steer but now at least i can move it around.I only have to pull one pin to put the skis back on. Heres a few pictures.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
skipped through a bunch of the thread. Nice work and looks like you have some more cool projects lined up.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I wont live long enough to get all the"junk" running around here, including a john deere lawnmower that died today !!!!!:sad::sad:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wont live long enough to get all the"junk" running around here, including a john deere lawnmower that died today !!!!!:sad::sad:

My wife, states that I suffer from SABLE
Stash
Acquire
Beyond
Life
Expectancy

Maybe it is contagious

Figured you would get a kick out of this. the scratches in the concrete and the signs all indicate she is a runner and was out at the Steam up.....

4cyl.

Attachments

• DSC02853 (Small).JPG
    DSC02853 (Small).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC02854 (Small).JPG
    DSC02854 (Small).JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 207

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Thats the Wabeno Phoenix that was originally owned by Jones lumber co.,i been there a number of times and visited with Milt Lang who was one of the founders of the Wabeno museum. They also have a nice cookhouse and bunkhouse display. The Phoenix was the early style machine lombard used untill 1908,phoenix paid $1000 royalty to Lombard for each machine produced.:biggrin::biggrin:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
:biggrin::biggrin: nope that was about the time i was jumping up and down trying to fix a john deere lawn mower carb !!!!!:biggrin:

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thats the Wabeno Phoenix that was originally owned by Jones lumber co.,i been there a number of times and visited with Milt Lang who was one of the founders of the Wabeno museum. They also have a nice cookhouse and bunkhouse display. The Phoenix was the early style machine lombard used untill 1908,phoenix paid $1000 royalty to Lombard for each machine produced.:biggrin::biggrin:

Yes sir it was. You find your self this way again, give a little notice and we can meet up.

There is a lot of Steam and large iron shows in this area of the world.

symco is this weekend.

I need to go make shingles! and of course race chainsaws.

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks much for the offer,dont know if i will get back out that way or not again,i don,t travel long distances much anymore.What kind f shingle mill you have? i have a couple old ones myself,along with about 80 chainsaws.:smile: Don