• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Need help with plumbing issue

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My son was bringing firewood up to the house last night. Got his sweatshirt caught in the ATV throttle while getting off. The ATV took off, sideswiped the house and sheared off the outside water spigot.

There's not enough pipe sticking out to solder or attach a sharkbite around the outside of the pipe.

Looking for ideas/options for connecting a new spigot but need to go inside the existing pipe unless I start tearing out mortar.

Not sure how well I could do a sweat joint since it's embedded in the brick so ideally, I'd like to find a self-tapping or compression fit connector that would go inside the existing pipe.

I checked SharkBite connectors site and I don't see they make something like this.

Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20171212_101501_040.jpg
    IMG_20171212_101501_040.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 31

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not much of a plumber but I'll toss my hat in the ring.

I would go and rent a Hilti or similar electric hammer drill, chisel away the mortar and find good pipe to connect to. I am not familiar with sharkbites so I cannot help in that regard.

If you are going to all that trouble, may as well just cut the pipe all the way back into the basement and install a anti siphon frost free silcock, but what the hell do I know.

After all that, maybe a protective bollard to make is son safe would be in order.:yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sort of thinking along the same lines you are if I can't attach something from the outside (which is my hope).

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure that I can help you much as I'm not aware of anything that seals inside the existing pipe. All my outside spigots are the freeze free type and the only time that I've had to replace one I had to drill and chisel out the mortar to get it out of the wall. I've used sharkbites but only on PEX, never on copper so I can't vouch for that either.

Let us know what you decide to do as it may be helpful in the future.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've used the SharkBite's on copper. They work very well.

If I'm pulling out a drill and/or tearing up the interior wall, it'll wait until Spring. It's too damn cold to do it now and the water to that spigot is already shut so it can wait if needed.

If I could just pop something in from the outside, I can do that in the winter.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure that I can help you much as I'm not aware of anything that seals inside the existing pipe. All my outside spigots are the freeze free type and the only time that I've had to replace one I had to drill and chisel out the mortar to get it out of the wall. I've used sharkbites but only on PEX, never on copper so I can't vouch for that either.

Let us know what you decide to do as it may be helpful in the future.

I just had a thought. There is a tool called a tubing or pipe swager. I haven't seen one used in years but it was just a die that was placed inside the pipe and hit with a hammer. They probably have fancier versions by now but it opened the end of the pipe enough to slide another section of pipe in to it. It may not work in your case since the pipe is surrounded by mortar. The internet is your friend.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow, he really sheared it off. Lucky he didn't get hurt. I agree with the others, I know of no way to fix that other than tearing up the mortar, and if you are doing that you might as well replace it with another anti freeze one. I'm afraid there is no easy fix for this.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lucky he didn't get hurt.
Maybe then, I'd have some pity on him but for now, I'm just pissed.

Besides taking out the spigot, he took off the dryer vent cover and hit an antique marble table. If that table had broke, I'd be seriously pissed. The dryer vent is an easy fix.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
go inside the house and cut off the pipe.
Solder a new smaller pipe to it and run the smaller pipe thru the old one, it's just a hose bib so you really won't notice the slight loss of water volume.

or,...(best solution), knock out the mortar and replace with all new piping.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Maybe then, I'd have some pity on him but for now, I'm just pissed.

Besides taking out the spigot, he took off the dryer vent cover and hit an antique marble table. If that table had broke, I'd be seriously pissed. The dryer vent is an easy fix.

Well, that idea of a bollard is looking better and better. :whistling: