• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Digital locks for front door

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I normally enter my house via the garage. I use the remote, no problem ....except for when the electric is off. I've heard they now have digital locks for entry doors (front door) where you can use a keypad to enter, and they have battery backup so if electric is off you can still enter. I'm very interested, but wonder how reliable they are and how hard they are to install. Have any of you already been down this route?

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I have never had to change the battery or worry about a power outage on my deadbolt.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have never had to change the battery or worry about a power outage on my deadbolt.
Thanks Bob.
Dave, all other things being equal I prefer the keyless entry with a code for a few reasons:
1. No key to carry or hide somewhere (the less keys the better)
2. I won't have to give all the kids keys or hide a key & explain where it is so they can get in when they beat us to the house.
3. Codes can be easily changed so that allowing someone in once does not mean you have to give them your secret code. Just change it for that one time and then change it back to the family known code.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
As to Dave's comment, it is true, no need for a battery change with a standard deadbolt. I've had one of the above units on my front door for about 3 years, same battery. I'm waiting for it to die. If it does and I am outside I will simply use my key to enter! I still carry keys.

I have some mechanical locks on 2 other doors that are digital/mechanical.

I've got a couple of these too: http://www.nokey.com/unheavdutkno1.html
853111_2162_30122352

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you looked into the fingerprint door locks? They make sense to me. If the power goes down they can be opened with a key.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Have you looked into the fingerprint door locks? They make sense to me. If the power goes down they can be opened with a key.
No. I prefer one with a code. I see now you can have multiple codes, let each of the kids choose their own code, so it's more likely they'll remember it. You can also add a code for the per chance relative or visitor that would not normally be given a code. This setup also has a key for emergency.
That first link Bob posts has all that and more. I'll be stopping in a Lowes soon.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
I have a surplus fingerprint + code lock in Michigan I could sell you.

Door opens in, hinged at right side looking at it from the outside.