• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

STEREOTYPE: So you own a SUV or a Pick Up truck?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Just returned from my daughter's volleyball match, we met at a "neutral" school that hosted our game because neither of our little schools has a gym that includes bleachers.

It was interesting. 1/3 of the parking lot was filled with LO-Riders, Deuce & a Quarters, and lots of chrome add ons. 1/3 of the lot was SUVs & Pick Up trucks. 1/3 of the lot was assorted non-descript mini-vans, cars, etc.

Now do you think I would come up with any stereotypes just pulling into the lot? Farmers vs the Inner City Kids? Seems logical. In fact that is just what it was. East Chicago vs Lowell.
EC = inner city, mostly hispanic with a smattering of whites and blacks in the population.
Lowell = lily white (OK we do have 1 black family and a few hispanics).

It was just intersting to see that you could tell who we were playing just by the parking lot. And they could probably tell the same thing when they looked around the lot too.

I'd also suggest that SUVs and Pick Ups from rural areas look like they should; they are trucks with a purpose, usually have trailer hitches. They have regular wheels and tires, not the ulta low profiles with chrome wheels on lowered frames like you see in the country clubs and also cruising the ghettos.

By the way, we lost. It was pretty much a wipe out, but our girls tried. One of my daughter's serves hit the ceiling. Oh well.

v8dave

Wizard
Deuce and a quarter eh? Well Bob, we're dating our selves here. How many readers know what vehicle that is?

Dave

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
v8dave said:
Deuce and a quarter eh? Well Bob, we're dating our selves here. How many readers know what vehicle that is?

Dave
Buick Electra 225, commonly called a landyacht!! :boobies: :p :beer:

v8dave

Wizard
Yep, and Buick doesn't make 'em any more either. It would seem that Land Yachts aren't going away. The replacement for the 225 seems to be a Cadillac through it's Escalade model. Although, that appeals to the SUV crowd and the Inner-city crowd, a cross-over vehicle. With a whole new meaning to cross-over.

Dave

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You were right v8Dave .....you made me think, but I never came up with it.

I really thought the low rider phase would have passed by now, but instead it appears to be coming back even stronger, thanks to shows like pimp my ride etc. .....goes to show what i know. :)

LarryRB

I've have my own style land yacht.. called a Dodge diesel pickup, Very loud, but very powerful.. You can't believe some of the equipment I've pulled around with my trailer. Only thing with the Dodge, brakes... You have to think a mile ahead or else big problems.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Okay Bob, where would I fit in driving my personal all season luxury vehicle?!

Attachments

• plow.jpg
    plow.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,090

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
LarryRB said:
I've have my own style land yacht.. called a Dodge diesel pickup, Very loud, but very powerful.. You can't believe some of the equipment I've pulled around with my trailer. Only thing with the Dodge, brakes... You have to think a mile ahead or else big problems.

I don't know about your specific year Dodge, but on my '96 4X4 diesel (highly juiced) dually Dodge the larger GM rear brake cylinders just bolted on. The GM rear wheel brake cylinders are 3mm larger which translates into 23% more braking force. They are Napa #4637337, about $12 each and an hour per side to switch. That quick and easy change made a huge difference for my truck.

LarryRB

Dargo
I have an 01 with the H.O. motor, 6sp trannie, and it has disc all around.HD 3/4 ton, not a dullie.. The immediate area I live in is just like San Fransisco. Steep and sharp, up and down hills., None longer than a mile, just radical pulls, I pull a Bri-Mar 12,000 GVW equipment trailer and a fully loaded Kubota L 48 TLB with hand made cab/glass, extra chains, buckets and other stuff as needed,, The weight is maxed out and I know it... Just our geography makes it challenging to stop, and more times than not, you go around a sharp down hill curve and in front is someone stopped, bird watching or whatever they do... I have already replaced the disc pads once and they are 13" from the factory. I still haven't reached 50,000 miles since early 01, but, am getting closer now...

loki2

v8dave said:

Dave

Duce is a 1932 ford coupe, and a quarter was a tank of gas.:tiphat:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to FF loki2.

Sure wish I could fill up for a quarter nowdays.

Way back in High School I had this old station wagon. We ran out of gas just across the street from a gas station. A couple of other guys were with me. We pushed the car over to the pumps and pooled our cash (i should say change) ...we came up with 52 cents worth. That got us over a gallon, and we were off again. yeah, those were the days ...... :)