• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Where should I retire?

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

You can collect SS and disability anywhere. Medicare is another matter.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
If I really wanted to retire to a hot exotic place, I suppose I could always retire to Arizona.
Oh wait I'm already here! :clap:

rugerman

Maybe south Florida, plenty of heat and humidity, tropical flora and fauna, they will throw in plenty of Zika infected skeeters if you like, plenty of good places to fish (watch out for the gators) lots of excitement during the hurricane season, lots of other retired folks to enhance your driving pleasure. What more could want?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
No Cat, I don't want to retire anywhere that I have to learn another language. I'm not very good at it and I'm too old to try.

It's always expensive living on an island but the ones that I found that I liked were the US and British Virgin Islands and perhaps even Bermuda. I've never been to any of them so I have no experience of life there but as you said, we can dream, can't we?

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
No Cat, I don't want to retire anywhere that I have to learn another language. I'm not very good at it and I'm too old to try.

It's always expensive living on an island but the ones that I found that I liked were the US and British Virgin Islands and perhaps even Bermuda. I've never been to any of them so I have no experience of life there but as you said, we can dream, can't we?

Won't learn another language? That kind of leaves out Arizona then Amigo.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You can buy my house and retire in scenic rural Lowell.

ALSO, consider BELIZE.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Won't learn another language? That kind of leaves out Arizona then Amigo.

Hey, I haven't spoken Spanish seriously in 20 years but it's probably still good enough to get bye.

Ironman, we have friends who work in Dubai and vacation in Akumal at least twice a year. After being "mainly" dry in Dubai, they spend their time at the beach bar slurping suds, or at least Neil does. Three years ago they bought a retirement 3 or 4-bedroom condo that they presently rent out when they're not using it. So, it seems that they might be your neighbors before too long. They absolutely love the place and say that crime there is very low. Most of the crime is further north in the high volume tourist places like Cancun.

Ironman

Ironman, we have friends who work in Dubai and vacation in Akumal at least twice a year. After being "mainly" dry in Dubai, they spend their time at the beach bar slurping suds, or at least Neil does. Three years ago they bought a retirement 3 or 4-bedroom condo that they presently rent out when they're not using it. So, it seems that they might be your neighbors before too long. They absolutely love the place and say that crime there is very low. Most of the crime is further north in the high volume tourist places like Cancun.

Akumal and Tulum are absolutely beautiful. Best beaches in the world. The cartel stays away from that area. Golden goose.

I'd never settle down in Belize, I've heard Belize city isn't so safe. But absolutely beautiful.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Akumal and Tulum are absolutely beautiful. Best beaches in the world. The cartel stays away from that area. Golden goose.

I'd never settle down in Belize, I've heard Belize city isn't so safe. But absolutely beautiful.

Hard to beat Riviera Maya. There's still a lot of pristine, undeveloped coastline, and the cenotes are fun to dive, too! This is the beach at Xpu Ha, and the cenotes are Pond-erosa and Jardines del Eden.

Attachments

• IMG_2234.jpg
    IMG_2234.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 99

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Ironman, it just so happens that another guy I know vacations in Belize every year. Tom has been a rancher since he was in kindergarten and he's now the same age as me, 70, and still at it. He says that if you get away from the coast, especially where the cruise ships dock, it's not too bad. He heads inland and back up in the mountains where he says the crime is a lot lower, the people are friendlier and the climate is better. He keeps threatening to sell up in East Texas and move there to do some ol' fashioned ranching, the way it used to be. I'm not exactly sure what that means but it's obviously something that he longs for. I don't think that he'll make it as his wife is a beach person. Just let her spread her yoga mat on the sand and you can leave her all day, just wake her up for supper. :biggrin:

On the other hand, I've known people over the years who have gone on sponsored trips to Belize to look at property. None of them has ever bought. :sad:

I'm still looking for that ideal spot!!!!!