• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Olympics

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Which Country at this stage are you more impressed with. Norway with 11 total medals but only 1 gold or United States with 5 golds but only 8 medals. I guess what I am saying is, "is it more important to bring home more medals or is just the gold important?

Country ........ Gold Silver Bronze Total
Norway ............1.... 5...... 5...... 11
Russia...............4.... 3...... 2....... 9
United States ....5.... 2...... 1....... 8
Germany ...........4.... 2...... 2....... 8
China............... 1.... 2...... 3....... 6

murph

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Murph, historically the US has dominated the Summer games while Norway has dominated the Winter games. There are more summer events so we have far more medals than any other nation in the combined Summer/Winter count, while Russia/USSR would be second overall. But in just the medal count for Winter games, the top three nations are consistant with historical rankings.

As for what is more important, total count or Gold? I guess that is sort of like asking is Quality more important than Quantity?

I would think Canada would rank higher in the Winter games??? They just don't seem to be a powerhouse in anything.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Using a point value of 3 for gold, 2 for silver and 1 for bronze, Russia and the United States would be tied for first place with a total of twenty points each. Norway and Germany would be tied for second place with eighteen points. China would come in a distant third with only ten points.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
You can't just say quality or quantity for most things, so why not weight them:

At 3,2,1: you'd have Russia and USA tied at 20pts, with Norway & Germany at 18.

Of course, you could then say a gold isn't worth 3 times a bronze so how about 5,4,3, or 4,3,2 or ....:drink:

and Reddog types faster than me :eek: .....

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not dealing with MEDALS but still on the topic of the Olympics. . .

Bryant Gumble said the winter olympics are not real sports and he also stated "the lack of African American athelets in the Winter Olympics makes these games look like a GOP convention"

Now if a white person said that, would he be drawn and quartered?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
B_Skurka said:

I think they would ask Cheney to take the guy out hunting with him:whistle:

Ok that was bad.

But did not NBC towards the end of the night make a statement about how much tougher the winter olympics are compared to the summer olympics? And who asked the African Americans to not participate? These players are not picked at random, they have to prove themselves.

Well I guess Gumbolts is on my list of "people I least want to see".

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:

Bryant Gumble said the winter olympics are not real sports and he also stated "the lack of African American athelets in the Winter Olympics makes these games look like a GOP convention"

Bob,

Have you forgotten the double standard that we must live with? If so, please visit the proclaimed "Chocolate City".

dzalphakilo

Banned
B_Skurka said:
"the lack of African American athelets in the Winter Olympics makes these games look like a GOP convention"

Well, come to think of it, the summer Olympics for the most part does look like a buch of brothers running from the law:D

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:

Exactly! What a double standard. He should take some heat for that comment.

But, as far as all events being real sports, I tend to agree. The two man luge, and one man / woman luge ...come on guys, this is sledding. I'd agree you have to be brave to do it, but does it take much of an athlete to ride a sled?

I still do not understand that event where they use brooms to sweep in front of an object sliding on the ice. They could call it Sweeping, doesn't take alot of athletisium.

The skiers and snowboarders are awesome. That's some tough stuff. But some of the other things are weak much like the dancing with ribbons competion in the summer games.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I emailed NBC and told them what I thought about his comments. I know it won't go anyplace but gave it a try.

murph

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
The Olympics are on? I'm too busy watching Dancing with the Stars! (Stacy Keebler = yummy) ;)

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
How does it feel?? How does one feel after they get up on the podium and they just won Gold only to find out later that they did not pass the drug test they took? Wow I don't think I would go back to my hometown or even my country for that fact.

murph

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
thcri said:
I emailed NBC and told them what I thought about his comments. I know it won't go anyplace but gave it a try.

murph
I sent a message to both NBC as well as HBO.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Can you guys provide some links to where you sent your protests?

Maybe we could start a little email campaign here against Mr Gumble for his remarks!!!

humor_me

thcri said:
How does it feel?? How does one feel after they get up on the podium and they just won Gold only to find out later that they did not pass the drug test they took? Wow I don't think I would go back to my hometown or even my country for that fact.

murph

That's my problem with the Olympics - it has become all about the drug tests. Crap, you can't even rub some analgesic on your knee for fear that you'll be disqualified.:puke1:
I think wrestling has more honesty in it.

beds

I can't find anywhere that has the current medal counts standardised by population. Here's the 2004 Summer results:
http://simon.forsyth.net/olympics.html#WMSPM
Norway impresses the heck out of me to be as dominant as they are. 4.5 million people! That's about the size of a large city.

Any sport that you could conceptually play at the Olympic level drunk shouldn't really be an Olympic sport. Curling definitely comes to mind. Golf would be another.

1 Norway 1 6 6 13
2 Germany 5 4 2 11
2 Russian Federation 5 2 4 11
4 United States 6 3 1 10
5 Canada 1 3 5 9