• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tooth

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
My F-in tooth cracked! I was robbed and beat up 5 years ago. I was left for dead on someones lawn in the West burbs of Chicago. Well, now I was having a beer and the upper portion of my 'tooth' came off. :1062: :cry: Im unemployed and have the interview of a life time next Wed.
I had to tell my old man that I have been unemployed since January. All of it NOT good. I feel like Im 15 again. :cry:
Any uplifting words you can offer?

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Man, think about it - how bad is this really? Teeth break. Don't worry about why - just get it fixed when you can. Don't dwell on the past - it is over and you can't change it.

The best thing to do now is research the interview company, do some contingency planning, think about the GOOD things you are, have, or can do.

Contingency planning - think about all the really dumb things interviewers can ask, and come up with a slick answer for these slick interviewers.

If the interviewer is a pro, you should have nothing to worry about. That interviewer will ask about your experiences, and ask you describe actual events such as a time you had to fire somebody; they may ask what you have done to develop yourself, or others; they may ask about a succesful project; or whatever. But a pro will want to review actual experiences.

If you end up with a dud, like one that asks what would you do if you found a bag of money, millions, in the middle of a deserted road in the middle of nowhere. (I had this asked of me - I burned a bridge and asked him does such a stoopid question have to do with being a senior member of mgt., told the interviewer he needed to learn something about effective interviewing, and I got up and walked out.) Try to answer a question similar to what the interviewer is asking, but a question you wished they had asked (like politicians do!)

Say the question is - what would you do if a coworker tried to undermine you. Don't answer hypothetical questions. EVER. You have no idea what is in the interviewer' mind. Answer the question with something you actually experienced, like, as an example, the time that biotch redhead tried to hijack yor project. Turned out that after you approached her about it, you found out that her boss inadvertently gave her the same project you were working on (don't tell them you later got jiggy with her!). Takes away all the doubt.

Kinda hard to get this all down so you don't blow the interview. Don't lie, don't answer dumb questions, turn the questions around so you can tell real-world experiences, make sure you've taken stock of your successes, and what you research shows that you can do to help them, don't over or under dress, if this is a higher level job, prepare a powerpoint, on CD and paper, all about yourself, if the job has anything to do with numbers - wow them with your numbers, if it is task based job, bring in something similar to what they do so they can see your work, and on and on.

Would you like us all to interview you on line? It may be revealing, but you may get a taste of what will be asked of you. It might be fun!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Great points Fred!

Nothing worse than a candidate that is full of BS. Be honest.

If you don't know the answer to the question then discuss how you would go about finding the answer - don't guess or making something up.

I've always been more interested in how people learn (or how motivated they are to learn) than what they actually know (outside of the basic core knowledge).

Make fun of your tooth scenario if you can't get it fixed. I'd avoid the story about getting beaten up - it is too much of a plea for sympathy. You can tell them you got hit a few years ago and that your tooth suddenly decided to crack at the least opportunistic time and that you are planning on getting it fixed but don't go heavy on the details about getting mugged unless they press for it. I'm always wary of people that have too many sob stories (not that yours isn't justified).

PB

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Ya! No whining, at all. NOBODY wants to hire a whiner. A whiner could be anybody that brings up anything that could be construed as asking for pity or blaming somebody else for their woes.

The interviewer is bound to ask questions that will require some sort of negative response. For instance, you can say "I hated that job. That place was full of lying cheating backstabbing maroons" or you can say " Their culture was not a fit with my morals and ethics" then go onto explain what your morals and ethics are and how you've applied them in your position. Don't talk bad about the last place.

You need to plan for those questions that could result in you saying something damaging. You can get your point across honestly and completely without being a whiner. You need to take the time to practice for the bad stuff.

As for your tooth, very early on in the interview, like after the first question is asked, but before you answer that question, I'd bring it up and say something like "I am a bit self-conscious about the broken tooth. It just came apart Saturday. I believe it was the result of an accident a few years back, so, I just wanted to get that off my chest. Now let me answer your question." You didn't plan on being attacked, right, so it was an accident. If you talk about the mugging at all, in any way, I see no way you can come out of it with out looking like you expect pity.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Waybomb and PB thank you! You have lifted my spirits! Good points too. Also I hope to glue my tooth by Wed. Im happy to belong to a forum where folks give a hoot. I would hug you but thats gay. :yum: :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Very good advice guys!!! :thumb:

Good luck with the interview Sushi. Knock em dead.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dont recommend gluing the tooth. A good dentist can have a temp on there in a couple of hours, then get a crown made soon after that. Check around, some even offer financing plans with no down and no interest.......

I have been around dentists for the last 5 years, dont glue it!

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
DONT glue? Now Im confused. The teeth need to be pulled and I need to implants, so I think a gluing MIGHT be good for now.

Gatorboy

Deadly Sushi said:
Also I hope to glue my tooth by Wed.

Don't use KrazyGlue or similar -- it contains cyanide.

Unemployed since January? You mean McDonalds or Burger King isn't hiring by you? Even my 18-year old son was able to find a job at Dicks Sporting Goods.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
And if you decide not to fix it before the interview, don't use your southern drawl and talk about squirrel hunting...:yum:

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
nemployed since January? You mean McDonalds or Burger King isn't hiring by you? Even my 18-year old son was able to find a job at Dicks Sporting Goods.

Unless they are paying $35k a year, it would be a waste of job searching time. I live by myself and have bills to pay. I need the time to search for a career job.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Deadly Sushi said:
Unless they are paying $35k a year, it would be a waste of job searching time.
No offense meant, what does being unemployed pay ?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
It depends on your last 12 month income. I get money that barely supports my bills..... actually dosent BUT its a God-send because I can look for a good job.... alas... logically it takes longer. But my TINY bank account is still loosing money.