• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1980 Snow Master

mchabot

I have recently purchased a 1980 model Snow Master out of Colorado. This machine needs a lot of tender love and care. When we picked up the machine the motor ran well but the machine would not steer. Once we got home we realized there was a broken part under the variator assembly. Anyhow, I am probably the individual that has been "LURKING AROUND" for some time, reading and enjoying the information posted by everyone. I intend to rebuild this machine and I am looking forward to sharing some of the challenges that lie ahead with you.

mchabot

A few pictures of machine in parking lot.
167_6786.jpg

167_6787.jpg

167_6788.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are in need of some of the Variator parts, I do know of a source in Canada who has a few of the parts, he might have what you need. He was a former dealer, been retired for many years, and has a couple spare parts. A short while back he sent me a photo of a box of parts he had, there was at least part of a variator in the box.

GYPSY

I looked at that machine in Fort Collins. It was in pretty rough shape and needs more than TLC. Hope you got it for next to nothing. You have your work cut out for you!!!

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Great! You have a Snow Master! Welcome to the club. Now we need to get it up and running in top shape. Can you get some pics of the engine and variators? Thanks.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Snowcat Operations said:
Can you get some pics of the engine and variators? Thanks.
Hi Mike, welcome back. Despite your move to a warmer climate it is always good to see you here on the Forums!!! I hope you are having a good Christmas

Any clue where to get some Variator parts?

I sent an email to mchabot with the contact information for the guy in Canada who has a very limited parts supply, but I'm not sure which Variator part is broken and what is needed. A photo would sure be helpful.

Briarpatch

I went to look at the cat last weekend and it was gone. It has been sitting there at Jax's for a while. Where will you be using it once you get it fixed. I go through 287 every other weekend to our place west of tie siding wyoming.

mchabot

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm really new at this so if I do anything that isn't kosher please let me know and I'll try to mend my ways. The part that I mentioned was broken was part No. ST 501 and it actually is part of the steering. I was able to get it welded and they did a real nice job. When I picked up the machine at JAX's in Colorado this part must have been broken and that is why they couldn't steer the machine at all.

I didn't get this machine cheap at all. I've been intrigued by these machines for years and when I saw this one available in Colorado I bought it sight unseen. I would have preferred a regular ST4 (still plan on acquiring one) but I thought I'd get started with this Snow Master.

This afternoon my sons (who are super enthusiastic about these machines) put the steering part back in the machine and we took it out for a drive. We live in Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada and this year we already have a couple of feet of snow so we enjoyed our little outing.

I'll put up a post with what our plans are for this machine shortly. We will appreciate everybody's comments and advice. Oh yes we will want lots of advice on the does and don'ts on refurbishing this machine.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well one bit of advice will be to post a lot of pictures!!!

Glad you got the steering fixed, and it sounded like a pretty easy repair so that makes it all the better.

Do me a favor, send some snow to me!!! We are having the warmest winter I can ever remember and the concept of SNOW is just a distant memory. We don't even have ice. But we've gotten so much rain that my bean field looks like a lake.

mchabot

I currently have the Snow Master stripped down to the nitty gritty. Want to start rebuilding and one of the first questions I would have is about the engine which is a 1600 cc Volkswagen.

1 - Have the existing engine rebuilt.

2 - Have it rebuilt and bored out for a little more power.

3 - Find a good 2.0L or 2.5L Subaru engine and benefit from reliability and the water cooled feature for a better heater etc...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it was me, I would opt for a little Subaru engine that would mate up to the existing transmission. The benefits of having a water cooled engine are simply too great to pass up.

SweGus

Don't you think a water cooled engine would add too much weight to the front of the Snow Trac? Just a thought...

GYPSY

If the VW engine is running with out major repair, I would just service it and spend my time and money on the rest of the machine and decide later if I wanted to modify or change it. The VW engine is easy to rebuild yourself. Usually the only machine work needed is to redo the heads. Make sure they are redone to burn unleaded gas. To change the cylinder bore you just bolt in different cylinders which you do anyway when doing a complete rebuild. Just pick a size. Weight, balance and cost would be major considerations in doing an engine swap. I see no benefits of a water cooled engine over a properly baffled air cooled engine.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
SweGus said:
Don't you think a water cooled engine would add too much weight to the front of the Snow Trac? Just a thought...
There are a few successful examples of the Subaru boxer engine that have been installed in Snow Tracs. The engine is small and light and powerful. Best of all it fits cleanly under the hood and because it is water cooled, it provides heat to the cabin.

I would only consider an engine swap if my original engine was blown or otherwise seriously damaged. I don't see a reason to replace an engine that works.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Stay with the aircooled stock engine. It is simple, dependable and very light! Keep the weight down as much as possible.