• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spryte for sale So. CA

Eric L

Site Supporter
http://www.machinerytrader.com/listings/detail.aspx?ohid=5706364

"blade is removable, rear hydraulics, OC-12 rear end w/drop boxes. Tow behind steering sled for gear. 2 axle tilt trailer w/brakes, fits CAT and sled. Ready to work. Spare parts & manuals. Ex conditon. Owner operator.Factory reconditioned in 1986 by Thiokol. "

Tom Elbert
Machine is located in:
Big Bear Lake, California
Phone: (909)866-8325
or (909)725-7356​

Attachments

• 74312447.jpg
    74312447.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 271

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey it even has a sled for BigAl to use!

It took me a while to figure it out (I am slow sometimes), but the sled has a turning yoke with front skis that turn with the tongue and fixed rear skis. Quite an intersting design and probably stable over moderate bumps.

74362397.jpg

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Man they want a lot of money for them things don't they? But I guess you can have a lot of fun with them. But Bob are they warm enough so you can wear your Hawaiian shirt in them things?

murph

nutsster

That is not a 1971 Spryte. It is a late 70's model with that track, tires, interior and engine. It is nearly identical to my 1981 DMC. Not a bad price with the blade and low hours. It had to be overhauled by LMC in 1986 not Thiokol.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
The machine does look good for its age. As Sprytes go I have seen one with over 10,000 hours and it was in remarkably good running condition. With all of the extras I also think it is priced fairly for todays market. I wonder about the hour meter if it is original. It just does not look like a Thiokol OEM hour meter to me.

As nutsster said it does appear to be newer than advertised. The overall design stayed almost the same for 20 plus years. I guess they knew they had a winner and were not going to screw it up and change it too much.....:thumb:

Below are the pics of a Spryte converted to a full cab with enclosed cargo area for sale. Tracks are 48 inch and it is in great shape. It has the Ford 300 6 cylinder with auto trans. Hours are 10,208.:eek: I have actually run it on hard ground. Ran very well and everything worked on it.:thumb: Asking price is also $21,000.00. Runs and operates much better than many lower hour machines I have operated.

1200sc1.jpg

Sc1Interior[1].jpg

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep in mind that both of these machines are over 8'6" in width which means overwidth regulations for towing. If that's not a concern they both look nice to me. Having a blade also means alot if someone else isn't grooming the trail.

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
mtncrawler said:
Keep in mind that both of these machines are over 8'6" in width which means overwidth regulations for towing. If that's not a concern they both look nice to me. Having a blade also means alot if someone else isn't grooming the trail.

I would love to have a Spryte with the 4 foot wide tracks but as you mentioned above they would require over width permits to transport. I could not afford to replace all of the gates and cattle guards I would be tearing up when running the wide track cat either.:yum:

nutsster

That's a nice looking Thiokol with the full cab. We have been talking about adding a five man cab Spryte to the fleet down the road. I would love the wide tracks too. It's hard to find a Spryte that has been taken care of or not diced up with poor modifications.

mtncrawler

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree. Alot of dummies cut off the inner and outer belts/cleats to narrow these 48" track machines. Machine width is still something like 9'4' or so but now the track width is less than 30". Final result is a machine still too wide to tow and now with poor performance too. Both these machines look very capable to me.

mtntopper said:
Below are the pics of a Spryte converted to a full cab with enclosed cargo area for sale.

How hard is it to find just cabs for a snow machine? Particularly I am looking for a Bombardier 5 man cab. Do you know of any places to look?

nutsster

I think most cabs are custom built for each machine. The cab on my Imp 1402 was built right onto the chassis. Look at the construction of cabs on many different snow cats to get an idea of what you want. I studied several Imps and Sprytes to get an idea of how they were built. My machine has 3/4" square tube and some angle too. Then it's covered with aluminum sheet, like aircraft skins with rivets. If you simulate the contruction that Thiokol used on their machines, it's pretty simple to do. If you don't want to mess with it, a custom trailer shop that makes enclosed trailers could probably do it for you.:thumb: