• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Alternator output

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a question????:confused2: If you have a 40amp alt that is charging at 20 amps, And you have a 100amp alt charging at 20 amps, which is taking more horsepower to charge??? Or are they both requiring the same amount???:smileywac :eek: :confused: I think I think to much into this stuff???

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Damn good question :confused2: ! I am thinking of switching over to another higher output alt for my cat also . With only 87 HP ,I need all the power I can get and I can't afford to let the alt use more than it needs .

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Damn good question :confused2: ! I am thinking of switching over to another higher output alt for my cat also . With only 87 HP ,I need all the power I can get and I can't afford to let the alt use more than it needs .

Al, when you get done with all the accessories, you will need to add a solar panel or two to run all of the gadgets........Rolls makes some great battery packs that you could charge up and then use them to run the whole kit and caboodle.....:yum: Since the KT7 is going to weigh as much as a locomotive you may as well have the batteries to run one....:yum:

http://www.rollsbattery.com/

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
mtntopper said:
Al, when you get done with all the accessories, you will need to add a solar panel or two to run all of the gadgets........Rolls makes some great battery packs that you could charge up and then use them to run the whole kit and caboodle.....:yum: Since the KT7 is going to weigh as much as a locomotive you may as well have the batteries to run one....:yum:

http://www.rollsbattery.com/

Man!! I guy can't even get a straight answer around this place !!!
And for the record ,since I removed 200 pounds of added hydraulic crap and hoses ,127 pounds of grease and dirt laying in the bottom , the whole front end of a Piper airplane steering control which must weigh in at 70 pounds and exchanged 4 - 50 pound bucket seats for the new light weight style ones ,I think I am just fine . If that does not do it I will just add a Banks turbo and not only blow your doors off as I go by ,but also melt them on the spot !!!:rolleyes:
Good Day to you , Sir :tiphat:

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have no vested interest in Snow Cats, other than answering a few questions of a general nature. The amount of HP that is required to run the alternator depends on if the batteries are fully charged. If you start off with a fully charged battery, the amount of energy to turn the pulley will be negligible. Once the batteries start to discharge, then the demand will pick up and it will require HP to turn the pulley. Unless you are "asking" the alternator to charge a fully discharged battery, the amount of energy (HP) required will still be negligible. The more demand on the battery, the more the alternator will try to replace those used up amps in the battery. Consequently the larger demand on the HP output of the vehicle. I don't believe that you will even notice a difference between full output of the alternator and when it is just idling if you are underway. It will only show up as a decrease in RPM at idle. If this is a problem, then install a vernier cable to increase the idle speed when you are standing still for long periods of time with the engine running.
Who was it that has the Corvair engine in the snow cat that said that they would send me the generator when they removed it?
thanks

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
That was me ,but I have not done anything to it yet .:hide: