• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trailbuilding video

Clacker

MrLiberty

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Holy crap on a cracker, that job ain't for the faint of heart. Talk about being on the edge, YIKES! :wow:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I was thinking the same thing. I always hated grooming trails like that on a side hill. Makes it even more interesting when there's a drag on the back of the machine. I could just picture the drag sliding right off that trail into the trees below. Spent quite a few hours running a BR160 like that. I like the blade setup and controls but hate the steering controls on the BR160. I have a bad left shoulder from a motorcycle accident years ago. After 8 hrs of driving that thing using my left hand on the controls, I was barely able to lift my arm. I much prefer a machine with steering wheel.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Would hate to meet the groomer on that trail! For that matter, not sure I would want to ride that in the dark either! if you miss that culvert crossing you are toast. :shock:

northeastheavy

Talk about hanging on the side of the mountain. Like when a chunk of snow broke loose on the edge!!! By the way, where exactly are these trails and what is the elevation and how far in from the base are you??????????

Clacker

We're in northern B.C., closer to Alaska than anywhere else. The highest mountains we ride are under 4,000 ft.
Small club membership because you need to be at least an intermediate sledder to make it above the treeline.
We ride old logging roads to the end then bushwack a trail into the alpine.

I'm not sure what you mean about the distance from base?

northeastheavy

By distance from base, I just mean how far into the wilderness you go from where you start grooming? Or where you park the BR160.

Clacker

Sorry, I guess base is my driveway.
There is about 12 k. of road we groom before the trail head. I only pull a small drag and we left it at the trailhead.
The first rockface we get up has kept out everything but sleds forever, not even ATV's could get by. Last summer we spent 3 days with a small excavator working on the trail sections in the videos.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Watching a video like that makes one appreciate the amount of work that goes into making a trail in rough terrain. It's a whole different ball game than those clubs that groom mostly open fields in farm country. (yes, they have their challenges also but nothing like trying to bust a trail through hill country.) I recall being spun out on a hill right down to the ground with the drag hooked in a rutt so I couldn't back down the hill. Took 3 hrs of wiggling back and forth with the machine to finally make it.

Last edited: