• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Husky's as pets....

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Get him neutered(need to procreate solved), work him hard and give him specific jobs around the house like bringing wood from the large cord pile to the house(great job for a husky in the winter):wink: one of mine has made herself a pretty good bird/rabbit dog so she gets to go hunting:clap:,they are great dogs as long as they are trained and worked for something thats usually all they want to do. so be creative on things he can help with,glad to hear your pup got home alive:flowers:,i have found feeding in the evening once is all mine require except for treats for work done and training. i have a fenced property and have not had the need for a electric fence, but when we are out in the mountains off leash i work with specific commands that keep them close, and by my side close, others let them /hunt but they always are looking back for new commands. I'm not saying they are perfect listeners(and they do look at me sometimes like they are taking my commands under advisement:glare:),but they love their job and want to please.

good luck.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What has surpeised me the most about the owners of Husky's here is some of you are in very warm claimates. Mine couldn't get enough of my air condition shop floor as soon as the day got warm this summer. IMHO he is living in a heavy weight sleeping bag BTW! SO how do you keep them from overheating other than bring them inside?? The hair shedding would be something the Mrs wouldn't tolerate!

Regards, Kirk

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine is an Akita, not a Husky, but the breeds have very similar coats and the animals are from similar climates. My Akita 'blows' her coat twice a year (use a shop vac to vacuum it up). She also tends to lay down on the AC vents in the floors of some of our rooms, sleeps on the tile floors, etc.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What has surpeised me the most about the owners of Husky's here is some of you are in very warm claimates. Mine couldn't get enough of my air condition shop floor as soon as the day got warm this summer. IMHO he is living in a heavy weight sleeping bag BTW! SO how do you keep them from overheating other than bring them inside?? The hair shedding would be something the Mrs wouldn't tolerate!

Regards, Kirk
When I had mine, I lived in the snow belt south of Buffalo NY. Summers don't get hot but here's what I did. One section of the house (an addition) only had a crawl space under it. I nailed luan plywood to the underside of the floor joists so they wouldn't get into the insulation and then removed the exterior basement window. They (the 3 of them) then had a 12'x12' doghouse that was nice and cool.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter

Regards, Kirk

the two i have now are allowed indoor in the summer, but to keep the fur down you have to brush them every week or so,they love to loose a little fur before summer:yum::yum:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG1VGLpH90I"]Warning about Huskies - YouTube[/ame]