• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Question on Cedar siding .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Every two years I have pressure washed the outside of my house to remove any grime and fading and then re oiled the outside . I love the natural Cedar look .. I am beginning to think the oil may be a waste of time , since I pressure wash every two years . Any thoughts ???

snow dog

If you love the look and don't mind the work, good for you. I woulod perfer a lower maintenance siding

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The oil prevents the darkening that will naturally occur. The amount of roof overhang has a lot to do with it as well. I see the same thing with the log homes around here. Those that are sealed still look great years later. others darken up a lot especially in the woods.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Every two years I have pressure washed the outside of my house to remove any grime and fading and then re oiled the outside . I love the natural Cedar look .. I am beginning to think the oil may be a waste of time , since I pressure wash every two years . Any thoughts ???

I,m curious as to what type of Oil you use Al ? I prefer boiled linseed oil my self for rough cedar after pressure washing , allthough it does stink to high heaven for awhile :doh:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I,m curious as to what type of Oil you use Al ? I prefer boiled linseed oil my self for rough cedar after pressure washing , allthough it does stink to high heaven for awhile :doh:
I been using Chevron Shingle Oil for the past 20 years . When I started it cost me about $14 for 5 gallons . Now it is about $60 .It has no smell .

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I been using Chevron Shingle Oil for the past 20 years . When I started it cost me about $14 for 5 gallons . Now it is about $60 .It has no smell .

Interesting I had never heard of it , Thanks Al . :wink:

Thats a hell of a lot cheaper then what I been using , cheapest I can find linseed oil is 26 bucks a gallon , it used to be dirt cheap when I started using it years ago & it worked so well I never looked for anything else . I,ll give that a try :biggrin:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Interesting I had never heard of it , Thanks Al . :wink:

Thats a hell of a lot cheaper then what I been using , cheapest I can find linseed oil is 26 bucks a gallon , it used to be dirt cheap when I started using it years ago & it worked so well I never looked for anything else . I,ll give that a try :biggrin:

I really like the stuff . Soaks in well . I spray everything with it . We let it soak in the deck for a day and then I wipe up any excess with a towel , so it don't get tracked into the house . I put it on with a airless "HEAVY" . I suppose a person could use a hudson sprayer too . Use paint thinner to get it off the windows .It will not change the color .