• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

You know when its broken.......

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Ive had a gearbox in a tractor that been grinding under load since I bought it. It ground when I tested it, it ground when i got it home, it ground when i got it stuck, it ground when I asked it to stop grinding.
Why did I buy it I hear you ask? Shut up, thats why! I answer.
So I pulled the box apart, all is well, looks near new, figures, it was nearly new. I notice there a no bearings on the drive shaft, I put in bearings on the drivesaft, put the box back in, no change, still the grinding under load. Bugger it, just run it on higher revs so I cant hear the grinding, sorted.......

So the other day Im fiddling round with it making a new mount for it, I notice this cap on the top, wonder what thats all about, pull it off, hey look.....its for putting oil in.....oil? I need to put oil in it? Whaaa? I thought it was a grease gearbox? You mean its been running unlubricated since new? :eek:

So i go out to the barn to find some oil, that tub looks good, the contents is kinda clear, it will do. I find a yoghurt put to transfer the contents of the big tub into the gearbox. I get the contents of the tub on the floor, but wait, some spilled into the pot, I pour it into the gearbox, whats that dribbling on my foot? Oil? Huh? Isnt it meant to be satying in the gearbox. Rather comically I peer under the gearbox, yikes! Is that a crack in that yon gearbox?

I likes that grinding sound I think :eek: :(

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hate those kind of surprizes! What kind of tractor? Under warranty? What's your next course of action? Like to hear the outcome and Good Luck!

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Only ma littlun'! Twas born 1988 so no worry-n-tea. Ill prolly just leave it, maybe fill it with goo or just fill it with grease. ;)
Just a bit annoying when it wees out oil on to ya floor

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BoneheadNW said:
Where's that duct tape when you need it?

Bone

Has anyone tried "Gorilla Tape" yet? It is marketed by the same company that make Gorilla Glue.

I saw their booth at a trade show in Vegas last week but I was distracted by the hookers (I mean 'models' :whistle: ) working another booth so I didn't get to try out the Gorilla Tape. They claim it is the strongest tape on earth. I've not seen it in stores, but I suppose I may have simply missed it.

BoneheadNW

B_Skurka said:
I saw their booth at a trade show in Vegas last week but I was distracted by the hookers (I mean 'models' :whistle: ) working another booth

Thanks a hell of alot! I just spit coffee out on my keyboard! :yum: :rofl:

Bonehead

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You guys really know how to take a thread off topic. All I did was mention a new tape from the folks who make Gorilla Glue and you guys are spitting coffee and talking about dirty pictures. BTW Junk, thanks for the picture!

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Mith said:
Bugger it, just run it on higher revs so I cant hear the grinding,

One of my favorite mechanic tools, the louder the noise just crank up the tunes. By the time I got to Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath It was time to start shopping for new wheels
It does bring back fond memories:tiphat:

HGM

Mith,
Not sure how bit the crack, but I would likely try a good silicone.. The Ford dealers here(truck dealer) have a really good silicone that shoul ddo just what you need... If you can find it there, its grey and comes in a caulking gun. its used to seal oil pans and transmission cases. In your case, I would probably just clean the area really good with brake clean and a brush (inside and out if you can get to it.. Then squirt this stuff in the crack and smear it on the outside.. Doubt it will ever leak again.. If you need, I can track the part number down... A good epoxy might work too, but dont have a suggestion and its not as flexible..

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
RoadKing said:
One of my favorite mechanic tools, the louder the noise just crank up the tunes. By the time I got to Jethro Tull's Locomotive Breath It was time to start shopping for new wheels
It does bring back fond memories:tiphat:

I knew there was a reason we hit it off! I like your taste in music and your nick reminds me of my FLHTGC!

BD

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Greg, I just filled it with grease, it makes an oily patch under it if you dont use it for a while but no biggie. Its a pain to pull out so the next time its out I will sort it, probably using silicone as you suggest.

P

Pigtails

BoneheadNW said:
Where's that duct tape when you need it?

Bone

You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40.
If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape
:thumb: