• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bathroom faucet simply quit working.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've done my share of plumbing, and thought I had experienced most of the common problems. Yesterday a bathroom faucet stopped working. It had water flowing normally, then it quit, and only dribbled. I tried the cold side and same thing, just a dribble. A toilet was flushed in another bathroom and while I thought it unusual but maybe the toilet flush stopped the faucet, but no, that was not the case. The faucet will only dribble water out for both hot and cold. No leaks underneath and all other fixtures in that bathroom and the rest of the house work as normal.
The problem faucet is a two handle faucet with standard cold and hot supply lines. There should be nothing inside the faucet that could stop the flow for both sides like this ...as far as I know.
I'm guessing I need a new faucet. The house is 12 years old and I've never replaced this faucet before. Guess it's time ...but just wondering if any of you have ever seen a faucet simply stop flowing water like this. Seems rather weird to me.

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I see this problem once every 2-3 years, especially in older homes, but it does occur in homes as new as 20 years old with high mineral content water. A piece of the washer in the shutoff valve will break off, travel up the supply line, and jam itself in the line. First, turn off the main water supply to the house, as one or the other supply valve under the sink is not going to shut off. Remove the aerator and disconnect the supply lines from the valves. Take a piece of wire like #12 or #14 solid copper, and push it through the faucet to force out the obstruction. Once the obstruction is removed, remove each valve and either replace the washer or replace the entire valve. I usually replace the valves because they are only $6 each, and it's easier and faster than rebuilding.

There is also the possibility that an obstruction has come BEFORE the shutoff valve, in which case the valve must be removed to clear the obstruction.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see this problem once every 2-3 years, especially in older homes, but it does occur in homes as new as 20 years old with high mineral content water. A piece of the washer in the shutoff valve will break off, travel up the supply line, and jam itself in the line. First, turn off the main water supply to the house, as one or the other supply valve under the sink is not going to shut off. Remove the aerator and disconnect the supply lines from the valves. Take a piece of wire like #12 or #14 solid copper, and push it through the faucet to force out the obstruction. Once the obstruction is removed, remove each valve and either replace the washer or replace the entire valve. I usually replace the valves because they are only $6 each, and it's easier and faster than rebuilding.

There is also the possibility that an obstruction has come BEFORE the shutoff valve, in which case the valve must be removed to clear the obstruction.

I was with you until that last thought Joe. Since neither hot nor cold work I don't see how it could be before the shutoff valve. Since each have separate valves (one in the faucet and one in the supply line) chances of two obstructions happening at exactly the same moment in time does not seem likely to me. I suspect it's probably something in the aerator as both you and PB have pointed out. At least that seems the most likely to me.

Now to decide if I want to replace that faucet, as it's a cheapy that came with the house ....or to try to replace the valves (if they can be found). decisions decisions ....

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I was with you until that last thought Joe. Since neither hot nor cold work I don't see how it could be before the shutoff valve. Since each have separate valves (one in the faucet and one in the supply line) chances of two obstructions happening at exactly the same moment in time does not seem likely to me. I suspect it's probably something in the aerator as both you and PB have pointed out. At least that seems the most likely to me.

Now to decide if I want to replace that faucet, as it's a cheapy that came with the house ....or to try to replace the valves (if they can be found). decisions decisions ....
I,d have to say its in the faucet itself . Mine do it all of the time , really hard water & its allways the screen on the faucet plugged . Might try holding a cap full of lime away under the faucet end if you cant remove it . Just a thought . :wink:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Replacing the faucet is probably the easiest solution. Once removed, check to see where the obstruction was to determine if you need to repair/replace the shutoff valve(s).

I live in the city, but when we built our house I installed a whole house sediment pre-filter with a clear vial. In 18 years I have not has any problems with aerators, and I replace the 5 micron filter every 3-6 months depending on the amount of sediment I see building up. You would be amazed at what comes into your home from the city lines, and what your body ingests as well. I have seen small stones in the bottom of the filter vial, probably from a break that was repaired upstream of my home.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Unscrew the aerator and soak it in a cup of vinegar. Take the plastic part out of it and clean the holes as well as the screen. If water flows good with it off you have found your problem. I have to clean mine several times a year due to very hard water.

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
While the aerator angle seems something to check, what are the chances that all of a sudden out of the blue it plugs to a dribble. In my experience it would slowly plug up.