• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Auto-Start back-up Home Generator?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting Don. I've never heard anything like that before.
most home generators are wired as such you don't have to balance your looad but if yoou can reconfigure your windings for single phaze or 3 phase wiring you need to balance the load all depends on how the fields are wired such as a y delta or double delta a lot of your larger generators will have the options. and all military generators have that option

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Regarding the balancing, do electricians try to balance it at all when they wire up the breaker box during new construction?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
kind of but the real balancing is happening back at the power plant with switches to adlust line load on each pad also at your power pland instead of running 3600 or 1800 rpm ther are running in the 600 to 800 rpm range wich helps to lessen the shock of an out of balance load eael balance will come in to play when wiring a remote camp or work site but some of you with farms might do well to ask about load balance if uou want the whole thing on stand by power and yoour running a 10 k set or larger on some thing other than a delta 120 /240 set up.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good info Don. One of the options I keep looking at is an ex-military generator, 10kW, switchable. That would allow me to run the house and take it off line if I wanted to run the 3-phase well pump or maybe even the a/c if I can power the thermostat and fans at the same time. For some reason not many of them come up for auction down in my area. I keep on looking.