• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

VW Issue 2015. Fuel Consumption

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
Could this whole mess be traced back to EPA issuing difficult to meet standards? Just look at what they've managed to do to fuel mileage on diesel pickups. The EPA seems determined to have their goals met no matter the cost to consumers regarding diesel, coal, etc. Their must be ways to a compromise between a clean environment and the average Joe's ability to be financially viable in this day and age.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Could this whole mess be traced back to EPA issuing difficult to meet standards? Just look at what they've managed to do to fuel mileage on diesel pickups. The EPA seems determined to have their goals met no matter the cost to consumers regarding diesel, coal, etc. Their must be ways to a compromise between a clean environment and the average Joe's ability to be financially viable in this day and age.
Mike

To my mind the EPA is responsible for more pollution around the world than any other agency. By demanding that we have such strict standards they have forced manufacturers off our shores and into nations with lax pollution controls.

This VW issue is not much different. They have set the bar so high on diesel emissions that its nearly impossible to meet, driving people to buy hybrid cars or cheaper gas cars, both of which have a higher carbon footprint than a diesel car.

snowstorm

GOLD Site Supporter
And if they really want to build an efficient hybrid why aren't they building diesel/electric hybrids,far more efficient than gas

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
A simple reason why you will never see a diesel-electric hybrid. The EPA has mandated diesel emissions by the gallon of fuel burned rather than by the mile traveled. The deck is stacked against diesel engines.

jp11

And if they really want to build an efficient hybrid why aren't they building diesel/electric hybrids,far more efficient than gas

Another reason is two expensive technologies in one vehicle. Diesel is expensive compared to a gas motor, and electric motors and batteries are expensive. Makes a small car very cost prohibitive.

But why is this conversation in the snowcat repairs forum. ?

:smile:

JP

nikos

Another reason is two expensive technologies in one vehicle. Diesel is expensive compared to a gas motor, and electric motors and batteries are expensive. Makes a small car very cost prohibitive.

But why is this conversation in the snowcat repairs forum. ?

:smile:

JP

a) Because we are also like this kind of conversation in the snow cat repairs forum.:smile::smile:
b) Because we are also snowcats owners.
c) Because except that we are using the same type of motor (diesel or gasoline) in our cars, also we are looking forward or just talking about to change the old vw 1600 cc motor with a new one, e.g in our snowtracks.

x) Because.....
y) because .......
z) Because.........at the end of the tunnel i am vw fan.

I don't Know which is better to talk about this kind conversation.
Maybe, in the car - truck Forum, BUT, in the other way, this matter has to do with the ways we want to see the facts.
The different point of views.

Thank you.
Nikos.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
so if I get my pistenbully reflashed will I get lower fuel performance?

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So is diesel gate just basically this?:

VW put a clean flash into the ECU's of diesel cars to pass emissions testing, then re-flashed the cars to be sold out the door with a more powerful, reliable tune that did not completely confirm to EPA standards?

If this is the case I think VW scores more points in my park, consumers have been doing this since we switched over from the horse as the primary form a transportation. I would like to see the actual data, I would bet it would be close to an out of warranty car operating with a bad temp sensor. (safely fuels the car to get you home)

$.02

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So is diesel gate just basically this?:

VW put a clean flash into the ECU's of diesel cars to pass emissions testing, then re-flashed the cars to be sold out the door with a more powerful, reliable tune that did not completely confirm to EPA standards?

If this is the case I think VW scores more points in my park, consumers have been doing this since we switched over from the horse as the primary form a transportation. I would like to see the actual data, I would bet it would be close to an out of warranty car operating with a bad temp sensor. (safely fuels the car to get you home)

$.02

VW had two programs in the cars. One for when the rear wheels were not turning (test stand for checking emissions) and another program for when the rear wheels were actually turning. That program doesn't meet emissions. I have to say rather clever of them, except they got caught.

America has the toughest standards by far. The left wing of our government who want "control" has realized that diesel engine power our economy. So to control that, and be able to scuttle our nation, they have declared war on diesel engines under the excuse of asthma sufferers. Particulates from engines eventually fall to the ground. But try and tell EPA anything...

Regards, Kirk

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
VW had two programs in the cars. One for when the rear wheels were not turning (test stand for checking emissions) and another program for when the rear wheels were actually turning...

I have been involved in Gov't testing and standards.

There is ALWAYS only ONE approved testing procedure.

It is clear that the EPA does not have a valid test PROCEDURE, it obviously NEVER requires the emissions to be sampled while the vehicle is in motion.

The VW people just read and complied with the EPA written requirements, and now the EPA looks like the incompetent department they are.

grizzer

Manufacturers are allowed to self certify production with EPA audits.

MBZ, BMW, etc. are not being attacked, neither is Bosch a big subcontractor.

I was in a Suzuki car assembly factory in Hungary years ago where Japanese built gas engines were barged up the Danube and ECM's were programmed with 2 profiles; where the rolls (dyno) tester picked the profile required by the EU destination country of that VIN.