• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Learning to operate groomer...

Manistee

It took a while to get things put together on my DMC 1450 and I appreciate the help from several members here. Got the chance to play with the nordic trail groomer attachment in the snow here finally and thought I would share the video for anyone interested. The groomer is from Valley Engineering and was installed by DMC and delivered with the machine to the state of Michigan DNR.

Attachments

• LoweringGroomerSm.mp4.wmv
    6.6 MB · Views: 116
  • RaisingGroomerSm.wmv
    14.8 MB · Views: 86

Manistee

Here is a couple still pics, one of the groomed path that was laid down over approximately two feet of virgin snow with one track-setter down, and the other of the machine driving back after doing the grooming. It was a relatively warm day with temps in the mid-40s, the first day above freezing we have had this year so far. We have had over six feet of snow fall in that time period, which had settled down to a little over two feet of powder before the warm-up.

Attachments

• IMG_20150309_162622_518[1].jpg
    IMG_20150309_162622_518[1].jpg
    81 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_20150309_154714_598[1].jpg
    IMG_20150309_154714_598[1].jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 309

Manistee

The tracksetters can be operated independently and can be in the raised position, lowered in a 'float' position, or lowered with hydraulic down pressure. Each tracksetter has guides on either side of the arm with holes drilled through them so a bolt can be put in place to set the limit of downward movement. The 1450 is equipped with 3 remote hydraulic circuits in the rear, one to raise and lower the groomer and one for each of the tracksetters.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Very cool. That drag setup looks very similar to the one we had on our Bombi back int the early 90's. Operated much the same way. Though ours didn't have the tracksetters.

Manistee

I am totally new to groomers, machines or drags, having only seen them out working occasionally. The local snowmobile clubs have not used tracked machines in years, mostly using large 4x4 JD tractors for the last 10 years or more. This drag is the first one I've ever seen that loads itself onto the back of the groomer. Most of the local nordic trail grooming is currently being done by snowmobiles and much smaller drags, though a small private operator has an older PB and a tow behind drag.

It is doubtful I will ever groom trails, just wanted to see what it would do before pulling it off and setting it aside. Don't really want to sell the drag, or cut it up for scrap, so will probably just set it on blocks out in the weeds in case I sell the rig at some point in the future. Am rather curious to see how the Super Imp does without the weight of the drag next winter.

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a bombardier drag on the back on my 1404. when I drop the front blade and rear drag, the machine is a WHOLE Different cat.

I almost dread putting its work boots back on after driving in Light mode.

the whole time at the Clowder in the powder at Big Powder Horn, I was loaded with people, beverages and food and even that weight was nothing compared to the attachments that hang off the ends...

My opinion is that you will really like the nimbleness of the machine without the attachments.

I have a paying job doing xc trails, do don't cut that jungle jim up. I will gladly store that for you ;-)

I am preparing a super imp for the park and seriously do need to find a drag. I am not interested in sitting on a snow machine and shoveling out the drag three times a night when it drifts. the cup holders and heater are just nice in the imp.!

Mike

Manistee

The little bit of playing around I did highlighted some issues which will need to be addressed during the off-season. Nothing major, just little things like a proper tune-up on the engine, replacing fluids and filters, checking steering bands, bleeding brake lines, lots of cleaning and painting, etc.. It will be much easier to do this work with the front blade and rear drag removed and I do not plan to reinstall them right away so the basic machine can be played with a bit. The front blade sure is handy and will definitely get put back on after it is cleaned up and re-painted.

The rear drag I don't know about, but it is not my style to cut something like that up. It will not be a top priority this year to re-hab it, but it may get a bit of paint to help preserve it. Do have several neighbors who like to x-country ski and do so on the local snowmobile trails and I may groom a little bit for them just to see how it all works. I may get in contact with the local non-profit ski hill and offer to help them out if/when they may need it as well.

Manistee

Took the groomer off yesterday to prepare for starting some maintenance. Thought a couple of people may be interested in a better look at what the groomer looks like. Was surprised to find out the hitch for the groomer is not only bolted, but also welded to the rear chassis. Guess it is not going to be so simple to remove as I had thought, but not a real big deal. Dropping the groomer off will make greasing the driveshaft and bleeding the steering brakes a whole bunch easier, not to mention checking the steering bands.

Attachments

• IMG_20150419_190729_738.jpg
    IMG_20150419_190729_738.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20150419_190845_276.jpg
    IMG_20150419_190845_276.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20150419_170851_140.jpg
    IMG_20150419_170851_140.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 157