• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Advice On A Tracked Snow Machine Please

TCat

Hello everyone, first let me introduce myself. My name is Tim and I am from central Pennsylvania. I just joined the other day after ending up here several times while doing internet searches about snowcats and snow forth.

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, however I hope that by giving you thorough information, I can get the best advice in return.

From looking at some of the other threads I've seen some beautiful machines and some great work on the restorations. Beautiful stuff.

I would like to seek advice from you folks on what you think would be my best option when it comes to a machine to fit my needs. I have a mountain camp (also north central PA) of about 47 acres where I built a cabin on top of the mountain. Our land goes from a state highway up to the top of the mountain and part way back down the back side of the mountain. There is about 1/2 mile of rough very steep dirt/rock road that we use to get to the cabin at the top of the mountain. On the access road are several tight turns including one that is about 150 degrees.

My problem is that in the winter time when the snow is on the ground, we can't access the cabin without having to walk the entire way up to the top of the mountain, and for me this is one of the times I would most like to be there. The access road is on the north side of the mountain so the snow can be there for about three full months over the winter. Typically the snow will be about 12 to 16 inches deep most of the way, with a layer or two of ice in between from ice events. During the last 300 or so foot at the top of the mountain, there are usually snow drifts that are around 3 feet or so deep across the road. The snow is heavy, thick and wet on the ground, although we do get light dry snows in this area many times.

I have never had a snowmobile before and thought for sure that a snowmobile would be perfect for getting to the top. However after buying a used two seater and trying it out a couple of weeks ago, I discovered that was not the right piece of equipment for getting to the top. As long as I could get going and keep going, the snowmobile would move, however as soon as I had to slow down, or even worse, stop while making the tight turns, the sled got stuck, and dug itself down through the snow to the rocks and mud underneath. I'm sure that the very steep grade of the road is what killed me on the sled. I made it to the top once or twice, but wasn't able to do it with a passenger or with the supplies that I needed to get to the top. Coming downhill was not a problem of course.

So after the sled fail, and not being one to quit, I started to think about Argos with tracks and then from there Snowcats and so on to replace the snowmobile that I now have no use for.

I'm not ready to buy right now but just want to do better research to not have another fail when I buy something to replace the sled.

I am able to work on my own equipment and to fabricate metal and weld and have a pretty good garage so working on a new acquisition is not a big deal. When I am ready to buy, I think my budget will probably be in the $5000 range. I need a machine that will allow me to transport 1-2 passengers at a time up and down the mountain, and maybe some supplies at the same time.

From what I have seen and read I have been leaning toward the Bombi's/ BR100's. I have read to avoid the Bombardier SW series machines due to their heavy weight for their sidewalk plowing.

Please give me your opinions on what you think would be a good piece of equipment for me.

Thanks in advance. Tim

P.S.- Anyone looking for a 2003 Ski Doo Grand Touring 800?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Tim!

And you NEED a SNOWCAT!!

As for what machine, your needs are relatively simple. Many of these old mechanical cats would be able to do what you need to do. How many people do you want to be able to haul would guide my search, and will narrow the field. Many cats are two place with out adding a seating compartment on the rear..

Light and versitile, Snow Tracs are a popular choice, as are the Thiokol Imps, and sprites. Of course the tuckers are up to the task, but the turning radious may be an issue. Any idea of the measurement of the radious of your tightest corners? This would be a big help in selecting a suitable machine...

Hope you enjoy the learning process. Sounds like you are on your way!

Regards, Kirk

TCat

Kirk- Thanks for your reply. All but one of the corners on the road I can get my long bed crew-cab F350 around when I occasionally drive it up to the top in the summers. The one corner I have to stop and maneuver back and forth a little bit in order to turn the truck for that corner.

Of the different makes/models that you listed, are the crucial replacement parts still available for them?

I guess I should have mentioned that although I am not against doing some work on one to get it going and make it a reliable machine, I am not looking for a restoration project either. I don't know if that would affect the price point/availability of the machines that you listed.

HankScorpio

I have a Tucker 1984 1544 with a blade and it is perfect for going anywhere I can dream up. Both the front and rear axles pivot so I have never found turning to be an issue. The smooth turning of the Tucker can't be beat and the plow makes quick work of any difficult side hills. I operate mine from 9000 to 11,000 feet and can dominate the terrain, all while enjoying a heated cabin. The budget of $5000 will be difficult for a Tucker in ready to use condition.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I think you need to double your budget.

How will the machine get to the road ? or will you park it there ?

If you can get there and pack the snow after most storms, you could probably make the trip with an ATV which could pull a small trailer and be useful on your land year round.

I have not had good luck on steep icey hills with tracked vehicles.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kirk- Thanks for your reply. All but one of the corners on the road I can get my long bed crew-cab F350 around when I occasionally drive it up to the top in the summers. The one corner I have to stop and maneuver back and forth a little bit in order to turn the truck for that corner.

Of the different makes/models that you listed, are the crucial replacement parts still available for them?

I guess I should have mentioned that although I am not against doing some work on one to get it going and make it a reliable machine, I am not looking for a restoration project either. I don't know if that would affect the price point/availability of the machines that you listed.

Parts for any old machine can be an issue, for sure. But in simpler times we built simpler machines. What I mean by that is the parts in many cases maybe unavailible, but also not so hard to make either...

Your price point maybe be low however. For 5K you need to shop arond a while and be prepared to spend some cash on rejuvinating it. Know a good machinist?? That can be a big difference. Especially if he is a friend and likes to ride in your cat..:wink:

Your at the right place to aid in a parts hunt if you need them. :smile: Lots of members here who can help when the need arises.

Pixie is right about steep grades and ice. One must always be carefull in those conditions. Ice chalks can help, if you have them, but most cat's don't. Is there anyway to regrade the road, or reroute it for less grade this summer? Seems like it may help you out alot, in all seasons. This may not be inexpencive, but maybe your best alternative if there is a way to go about it.....

Good luck with your search.

Kirk

Last edited:

TCat

Thanks for all of the great replies.

I will keep the machine on site in a 40' container that I plan to buy and put in place this spring. I already keep a Jeep Grand Cherokee on site and one of the main reasons I am getting the container is to put the Jeep in when I'm not there. I had about $2000 worth of stuff stolen off of it last spring over a one month period between trips up to camp.

Packing the road down after the storms isn't an option as I am over an hour away and don't have the time to drive up each time it snows. We have utility atv's and there's no way they can make in up when the snow is too deep. A couple of inches they are okay, but beyond that no way.

As far as reconfiguring the road, I put the top half in myself using a rented 20 ton excavator and by necessity I kept it fairly steep due to the width of the lot and my not wanting to take out too many good trees, as well as avoiding large rock outcroppings. The road is what it is, at least for now. Renting another excavator would easily cost 3-4k a week with delivery.

The Tuckers are nice but I think they will be out of my range.

I've seen some Bombi's on Craigslist in the 5-7k range. There's one up in New York right now listed for $7000.

The ice I was speaking of is usually layered in the snow and breaks when you walk on the snow itself. I didn't actually mean a coating of solid ice one the road surface under the snow. Sorry I should have been clearer on that.

Sadly I have an old Cat 953 track loader up at camp as well that I could use to clear the road, but I park it up top over the winter and take the batteries out so it's of no use to help. I could risk parking it at the bottom of the mountain over the winter, but I don't like the thought of having to lug the batteries back and forth and then trying to get the old engine fired up in 10 degree temps to just try to clear the snow with it. Putting an engine in a track loader on a mountain would be a nightmare.

So maybe I do need to think a little higher on my budget, but my CFO won't like that.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I could put you into a snow trac for around 8 grand right now but than you are going to have shipping. if you want to secure it in a container you are limited to a bombi imp or snow trac, and nothing with wide tracks. you have a jeep one of our members Boggie had some mattracks for a jeep for sale earlier this year, that may be an idea I think I would see if you could locate some on with a set mounted and see if they might work for you.

mbsieg

awful member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are looking for tracks.... www.trackvehicletech.com not sure if they would work in your location or not. But a lot cheaper at about 10K for a new set. A lot of people in the bighorn mtns are running these

TCat

I had thought about the tracks for the Jeep but never really looked into them. I was worried that they were not very reliable/tough. I don't know anyone who has ever owned any though. I would not be opposed to them if they would work and last at the right price.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not a big fan of pod tracks, in your conditions I think they are the best for you and your use. the reliability issues I see come from high speed operation and excessive use on the roadways. if you use them for access only I think they will do just fine for you.

TCat

What do you think used sets of the tracks should sell for? And would the Jeep on tracks have a light enough footprint to stay on top of the snow and not dig in? If those kits are using tracks the size of snowmobile tracks then I would think the load would be higher per track than what my snowmobile was. I mean if the snowmobile weighs let's say 1100 lbs with one rider, that weight is spread over the two skis and the track (not equally I know) but in the case of the Jeep it would be the weight of the Jeep (about 4190 lbs with the same operator) spread over four tracks of about the same size as the snowmobile. So won't the Jeep want to dig in too?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
with a jeep I would expect the weight to be around a pound per square inch mor atv than snow cat. what you have to remember is with the additional weight you are going to have about 6 x the tractive force of a 500 pound sno go. plus a lower power to weight ratio equating to a less chance of spinning a track out. I would be willing to bet a call to mattracks, they could put you in touch with some one in your area who would take you for a test ride. after that you could shop around for other brands of pod tracks and buy what fits your budget and needs. I suggested calling mattracks because they have some incredible record keeping and know where a vast majority of their products are at. I would suggest trying them before buying.

TCat

Don thanks for the info. Those tracks do look nice. I'll give them a call and see what they say.