• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

J5 suspension springs in a can

IMP

Site Supporter
Anybody know of a good replacement spring for the J5 track tension can? Or if I could find a new replacement "spring in a can" at a reasonable price that would be good too. Or I would build my own if I could find the correct springs. Has anybody figured out what the specs are for the original springs and where to buy them?

Attachments

• J5 suspension.jpg
    J5 suspension.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_1512877768407.jpg
    IMG_1512877768407.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 356

J5 Bombardier

That one looks like a candidate for a re skin with exhaust tubing, but it would be nice to source out some springs . The ones I bought were to weak, so I used them between the beams on my muskeg, the search continues.
J5 Bombardier:hammer:

snowcatt

Call Dan Shaver
He’s a grate guy and the bombardier repair guy in Manitoba
He’ll help you out
Have fun
1-204-467-2605

IMP

Site Supporter
Thank You! I will give Dan a call and post here if I get useful info. Thanks for confirming the exhaust tubing idea J5 Bomb. I was thinking that would be the first place to look to find thin wall pipe close to 4 5/8" OD diameter. My springs still work but they are weak. A few years ago i made the "one notch" adjustment for more spring can tension so only thing to do now it replace it before It breaks 10 miles out in a swamp.

IMP

Site Supporter
Snowcat, that was great info to share about Dan in Manatoba, he has the parts I need at a reasonable price. He sells the bogies or 'spring in a can" for $280 each or just the spring for about $70 Canadian. And the chain links go for $14ea. I ordered 2 bogies and 5 chain links. The photo is one of his bogies and chain link. Thanks for sharing,...you saved me some time and money.
P.S. He said he dosent sell these to many J5 owners, Most all his bogies go on the Bombardier snow busses, But all the measurements on his new bogies match my old J5 bogies so we beleive they are a match inside and out.

Attachments

• PC120022(1).jpg
    PC120022(1).jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 292

J5 Bombardier

Very nice looking product. Do they have the internal stop (pipe) inside ?, guess you can stretch them out to check the stroke . I once got an early J5 with no stops inside the cans. I wondered at the time if they came off the skis of a snowbus ,where a stop in the can is not needed.
J5 Bombardier

IMP

Site Supporter
J5 Bomb. Thanks for pointing that out! I completely forgot about the stop pipe inside the spring can. It's been 5+ years since I restored my J5 but after looking at some old photos of when I opened a can up to repair a wear hole I see the stop pipe now plain as day. I will be sure to confirm with Dan that it is present on his new bogies and report back. You may have saved me a headache down the road I'm glad you shared that knowlege!

Attachments

• J5 restoration 082.jpg
    J5 restoration 082.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 272
  • J5 restoration 084 (1).jpg
    J5 restoration 084 (1).jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 270
  • J5 restoration 085 (1).jpg
    J5 restoration 085 (1).jpg
    142 KB · Views: 254
  • J5 restoration 089 (1).jpg
    J5 restoration 089 (1).jpg