Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Health and Fitness Forum

Health and Fitness Forum diet and exercise

Old 09-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 6,109 Times in 2,708 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy High Blood Pressure ... got to change some things now ... any advice?

Doc finally gave me the bad news and said I officially have High Blood Pressure.

For the past couple of years my PB has been in the "High/Normal" range so this really is not much of a surprise to find out that it has crept up.

Got to go on a low salt diet. Of course before I found that out I started today's dinner ... corned beef, potatoes and cabbage. About the highest sodium mean I can think of

Looks like I need to cut back on caffeine too. I love my espresso in the mornings.

There seems to be some confusion about tobacco. I see every recommendation saying eliminate cigarettes ... which I have NEVER smoked, then talks about lung disease, lung cancer, etc. But what about cigars which are not inhaled? Is it the nicotine that is the problem or is it the smoke and the chemicals in the smoke that get into the lungs from cigarettes that is the problem? In any case it will be easy to back down on the cigar habit.

Told Melen, she totally freaked out. Sent me about a dozen links to websites ... each one seemed to contradict the next

Going to have to start my walking again, which will aggravate the foot injury I am nursing. Might have to find an different exercise that I actually will do to replace the walking.

Anyone else here have High Blood Pressure?

FWIW, I'm 6' tall, weigh about 198lbs and 55, almost 56 years old.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
The Following User Says Thank You to Melensdad For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 03:40 PM
Cold Member

Thanked 7,922 Times in 3,809 Posts
jim slagle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: High Blood Pressure ... got to change some things now ... any advice?

I'm 6' 5" 250 and 69. I was diagnosed 15 years ago.

Diet controlled it for a few years then had to go on meds.

Cut the salt, cut the caffine, don't know about cigars though :)

Watch Chinese and Mexican food. Lots of salt. Once your body is used to low salt foods that are oversalted will almost knock you down with the salt taste.

Good luck!

Jim

The United States Constitution 1787. All Rights Reserved

Sometimes I'm fast. Most of the time I'm half fast!

Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together!

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate

FF REQUIRES NO PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM.
EVERYONE GETS ENOUGH EXERCISE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS, FLYING
OFF THE HANDLE, RUNNING DOWN THE MODERATORS, KNIFING FRIENDS IN THE
BACK, DODGING RESPONSIBILITY AND PUSHING THEIR LUCK.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:47 PM
The Old Salt

Thanked 8,435 Times in 3,397 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: High Blood Pressure ... got to change some things now ... any advice?

I feel your pain Bob. I have been diagnosed with HBP for about 5 years now.

One of the quickest, easiest and cheapest things to do is go to the supermarket and get the Morton's Salt Substitute. It tastes just like salt and you can go back to putting salt on the things you love. You will find it hidden in the spice section, generally.

Welcome to the club.

Name:  mortons.jpeg
Views: 68
Size:  28.4 KB
Old 09-27-2016, 04:39 PM
Cold Member

You need to get a blood pressure cuff you can operate yourself. I have one that straps on my wrist. Take it to the Docs next trip and make sure it is accurate.

Jim

The Following User Says Thank You to jim slagle For This Useful Post:
TiredRetired (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 05:19 PM
The Old Salt

Thanked 8,435 Times in 3,397 Posts
TiredRetired has a spectacular aura aboutTiredRetired has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim slagle View Post
You need to get a blood pressure cuff you can operate yourself. I have one that straps on my wrist. Take it to the Docs next trip and make sure it is accurate.

Jim
Yup, my wife checks mine. We have the type that wraps around the bicep. I want one of the bluetooth ones that automatically downloads the results to Samsung Health but not gonna spend the money.
Old 09-27-2016, 07:02 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 11,293 Times in 4,722 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

Omron is one that was recommended for me by a physicians assistant. It works well. Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...on%2Caps%2C189

Like Jim suggested: take it to your next doc visit to be sure it is accurate.

Other Fun Forums:

Weekend Mudders + Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (09-27-2016), pirate_girl (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:17 PM
Cold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Omron is one that was recommended for me by a physicians assistant. It works well. Amazon https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...on%2Caps%2C189

Like Jim suggested: take it to your next doc visit to be sure it is accurate.
THATS IT!

I have an Omron BP652

https://www.amazon.com/Omron-BP652-W...ds=omron+bp652

The Following User Says Thank You to jim slagle For This Useful Post:
pirate_girl (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:00 PM
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanked 11,291 Times in 4,769 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road

I have an OMRON wrist b/p which I take to work with me, along with the old kit which I've had for years.
They're fairly inexpensive at Walgreens.

I prefer taking mine and others the old fashion way, but the wrist cuffs are also fairly accurate.
Just remember to keep the face toward you and hold it steady next to your chest with the wrist type.

That said, my blood pressure rarely is high.
I do take a low dose beta blocker for MVP which can sometimes make it go low.
When that happens, I cut the pill in half, or skip a dose for that day.
FrancSevin (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:43 PM
Master of Distraction

PBinWA will become famous soon enoughPBinWA will become famous soon enough
Style: VB_Original_Style

Diet and exercise. My BP correlates to my weight. Unfortunately, I have a hard time keeping my weight where it needs to be so I just take the drugs when needed.

I just use a Harbor Freight BP wrist cuff and it seems to work pretty good. Had it for a few years now.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 09-27-2016, 10:45 PM
Master of Distraction

I wouldn't stress that much about the accuracy of the cuff - the consistency is more important. Just figure out your baseline and then you will know when it is higher or lower than normal. I can feel when my BP is too high or too low.

I have to watch when my weight gets lower than 205 - I start getting hypotension if I take too much bp meds.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

-Gerald Ford

Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 4,701 Times in 1,761 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_girl View Post
I have an OMRON wrist b/p which I take to work with me, along with the old kit which I've had for years.
They're fairly inexpensive at Walgreens.

I prefer taking mine and others the old fashion way, but the wrist cuffs are also fairly accurate.
Just remember to keep the face toward you and hold it steady next to your chest with the wrist type.

That said, my blood pressure rarely is high.
I do take a low dose beta blocker for MVP which can sometimes make it go low.
When that happens, I cut the pill in half, or skip a dose for that day.

I've taken mine since I became a Paramedic 35 years ago. I had hypertension at age 28.

Yes a beta blocker helps but my doc came in one day when I was 38 and told me it was hopeless. Nothing we tried lowered my BP. I was 180/110. His advice, quit my corporate job or plan to be dead by 45.

I did but it has taken more than that. Exforge seemed to work but was expensive. However, a diet change helped immensely. No processed foods, Hydro fats and only lean fresh meats. Almost no bacon sausage or cured meats. (No bacon is insane).

Mom was low sodium so I have not desire for salties. Low sodium was easy for me. I have a box with the umbrella girl about 20 years old. I buy Cane sugar at one lb,,,; lasts for years.

I do eat butter(never margarine) and dairy and now find the Beet supplements help. So does a conscious ability to lower you BP with concentration. Gotta have the Spigmonometer to do that

I can get mine down to 120/88 now. Normal rest is 130 over 96. Not good but my head won't explode. I'll be 70 in a few months. 195 Lbs from 230. Active as a teen most days.

I cook, clean, handy about the house, mostly sober. And if I ever grow up I'll be a great catch for some gal. It's a work in progress.

But BP is the silent killer. Kidneys suffer the most but the heart and the brain and other organs suffer as well. Get the BP down. Whatever it takes.
Doc  (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 12:23 AM
member formerly known as dds

Snowtrac Nome is on a distinguished road

im on meds still couldn't get it low enough to pass my physical for my cdl it was so high this spring that I got dizzy they have me on meds and I still running high gave up on tabacco and salt limited coffee and got a passing score tabacco would be the number 1 thing to get it down.
Snow trac's Rule and Krustys Drool
Old 09-28-2016, 12:39 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,167 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

I was diagnosed with high BP when i was about 62, over 7-years ago. I've been on meds ever since. The only problem is that they sometimes work too well. I check my BP at least twice a day and sometimes have to skip a couple of days of meds when it consistently drops too low.

The diet thing never seemed to affect mine all that much and neither did nicotine or alcohol ... thank God. I thought that the salt affect had been discredited years ago. There is so much contrary information out there that it is difficult to get a handle on the truth sometimes.

My advice would be, if the doc prescribes meds to control it, take them and experiment with lifestyle changes. They may need to be fine tuned to your particular case. Check your BP at least twice a day and once you have it under control, get on with your life. High BP is only a killer when it is undiagnosed and untreated. Once you know about it, it becomes another one of life's inconveniences. Pop a pill and live forever.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 09-28-2016, 08:12 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

TOBACCO: OK well for the record, I have never smoked a cigarette. Never smoked pot. I smoke about 4, sometimes 5 cigars a week. Never inhale. But clearly in a room where 2nd hand smoke can be an issue.

ALCOHOL: I drink a small amount of bourbon almost every night. If we are traveling I will typically have no alcohol at all (the Spain trip was an exception because they serve wine instead of water)

CAFFEINE: This might be my downfall, I have 1 to 2 shots of straight espresso in the morning BEFORE filling up a mug of coffee. Its not terribly uncommon for me to have another shot of expresso during the day. If I go to the cigar lounge there is a cup of coffee next to my chair, most typically refilled 2 or 3 times. I just love coffee.

SODIUM: While I like salt, I don't load it onto my food. My guess is that most of the sodium I get in my system comes from pre-packaged, canned, prepared foods and not from my cooking, nor from my wife's cooking ... not that we eat salt free food, we don't but we don't really load our food with salt. But I will be grabbing a canister of Morton's Fake Salt Tasting Substitute

BLOOD PRESSURE METER: I went to the local CVS/Target store. They used to carry Omron. Apparently no longer do so. I bought a QARDIO unit that connects to my iPhone. They had another brand, can't recall its name. But when I was talking with the pharmacist about them she directed me to this unit because it said it was clinically calibrated on the box, the other brand did not say.

The company also makes a scale that works with the blood pressure cuff & the iPhone and I'm considering getting one of those things too. The iPhone App then combines all the data and has tracking features, etc.

Link to what I bought => https://www.getqardio.com

- Ayn Rand
Old 09-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

FWIW, I have my BPM set to take my blood pressure 2 times, with a 30 second interval between the 2 readings. It then gives me an average of the 2 times.

This morning I got up, took my assorted old-man medicines, took Walter out to do her business, and then took my BP. The elapsed time between taking my BP pill and taking my BP was probably 10 minutes so I seriously doubt that the medicine had time to get into my blood system. This would have been my 3rd pill as I took 1 Tuesday morning, and 1 immediately after picking up the prescription at the pharmacy early Monday afternoon. Not sure how long it takes for these to actually work, some meds need to build up over time, others show results an hour after consumption.

BP this morning 139/90, which is the lowest its been. It was 165/95 on Monday at the doctor's office.

- Ayn Rand
Old 09-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Master of Distraction

The meds can work pretty fast. You should see a difference within an hour some times less.

-Gerald Ford

Old 09-28-2016, 10:14 AM
Forum Admin

My doc recently changed my BP meds. He said to give them a week to 10 days for them to settle in. My BP came down slowly, and settled in at 130/82. But it did take some time.

Other Fun Forums:

Old 09-28-2016, 10:26 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Lisinopril is the medication that I have been given.

I gather it does have some very immediate effect. But according to WebMD (just looked it up): For the treatment of high blood pressure, it may take 2 to 4 weeks before you get the full benefit of this medication.

Honestly I think I've begun to freak myself out over this. I never thought High Blood Pressure was a big deal. Now I've got it and so I looked up the effects ... words like STROKE are not good things to see! I've had a couple relatives (Grandfather, Uncle, etc) who have had a stroke and that is not a fun thing.

So now I'm thinking about buying a Body Mass Indicator 'smart' scale that takes your pulse, checks your BMI, etc. Looking at getting a new "FitBit" or maybe biting the bullet and buying a butt ugly Apple watch for its O2 and fitness sensors.

Hell I even made a cup of de-fucking-caffinated Green Tea this morning ... but I have not had the courage to actually drink that.

- Ayn Rand
Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

I know I can take my BP too often, which will make me insane, because I'll end up monitoring every up and down, but just for the fun of it I took it again now.

Its been 3.5 hours since I took the BP medicine.
Its been 3 hours since my shot of espresso.
Its been 90 minutes since I finished my cup of coffee (just 1) and my bagel with Lox & cream cheese.

BP just came in at 144/95 with a pulse of 58. I had readings of roughly 140/90 pretty consistently over the past 2 years.

I'm sure the sodium in the Lox is high enough to make a healthy person's BP go up but damn I like that stuff. This was the last of the Lox I had in the fridge so I guess I won't be buying much of that stuff in the future.

Guess its time to actually drink the Green Tea

- Ayn Rand
Old 09-28-2016, 11:26 AM
Forum Admin

I was told to randomly check my BP at different times of day (over a month or so, not all the same day) as your BP will change, don't let that surprise you or freak you out. That can impact your BP also.

Other Fun Forums: