• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Front Axle for 443-A

wpelk

I know this is a long shot but I am looking for a front axle shaft (drivers side) for a 443-A 1968. 5 miles into our first run after we purchased these units the front drive broke:( We took it apart and found the axle snapped. Any suggestions would be great.

Attachments

• 1800379_10203073981154107_1264004998_n.jpg
    1800379_10203073981154107_1264004998_n.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 202

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Look for a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup axle about the same year as your Cat. These axles were used for quite a few years, but come in a variety of lengths and spine counts. The passenger cars used them too.Measure the length and spline count. If it broke under the tapered end flange you will need to get one of them too. Make sure the axle extension fits the new hub if needed. Some may need machining. Check out the condition of the key as well. You will need to press the drive hub off the tapered shaft to replace the tapered roller bearing. You need to find a wrecking yard that has nothing but old Chrysler vehicles.

wpelk

Good info. Thanks! A axle shop in Salt Lake wants to build us a new one but its going to cost $1,200.00. I think we can look around at some junk yards and save some $$$$