• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ST4 metric chain pitch, 12v starter, etc.

mtmogs

Greetings All,

Does anyone know the pitch of the metric drive chain on the snow trac? I yanked my engine for an upgrade but am on the fence as to what I'm going to replace it with. If I go with a recent '2000+ Subaru 2.5 L SOHC, I'll have to push the transaxle back a bit and lengthen the chain. If I stick with the VW then no prob of course. I did find a local oldtimer vdub restorer who can build me a quality 1914cc in about 3-4 weeks time. Not done cheap, but done right.

Incidentally, the width of the new generation Suby 2.5's is 30.5" across the front timing belt cover and the engine (minus radiator and coolant) weighs about 60 lbs. more than the VW 1600cc. It would slip right in slickr'n snot were it not for the front sprocket/brake drum assemblies. I'm pulling the trans and variator assembly today and recon how much cutting and welding would be required to push them back a few inches. Nothing like watching the snow fly for motivation on this job!

Oh, one more question (Lyndon?), I'm going to replace the starter (upgrading from 24v system to 12v) and noticed that one ear of the mounting flange has been cut off as you have mentioned. Can I just replace it with a 12v bug starter and cut the ear off?

Cheers - Paul

mtmogs

Thanks! Yep, I have the little clamp. I'm still toying with the idea of installing a series-parallel switch to retain the 24v start. You could just crank on that thing 'til the cows came home.

teledawg

Greetings All,

Does anyone know the pitch of the metric drive chain on the snow trac? ...

The Snow-Trac final drive chain is ISO metric size 16B-1 that is 25.4x17mm. (pitch 25.4mm, roller width 17.0mm) This is close to the ANSI #80 chain as it has the same pitch, but the 16B-1 is slightly wider. If you put ANSI #80 chain on a Snow-Trac it will chip the final drive sprocket teeth on the sides. Not a good thing. :cry:

mtmogs

Much Thanks Dawg. The right chain won't be hard to find. A couple of years ago I had to track down some triple strand ISO chain for the unimog snowblower, maybe at McMaster. Pricey stuff!