Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Health and Fitness Forum

Health and Fitness Forum diet and exercise

Old 12-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Supported Ben Carson

squerly will become famous soon enoughsquerly will become famous soon enough
Default Hearing loss / aids

Anyone besides me suffering from hearing loss? Too many hunting trips without proper hearing protection and too many "over the top" loud concerts in my younger years. Added to the fact that I'm just getting older and the result is difficulty hearing, especially in loud environments or social settings.

Anyone else having these issues and what are you doing to find a solution, anything? Or are you just suffering through and staying away from situations that are difficult to hear in?

Or is it just me?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,342 Times in 682 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66
Default Re: Hearing loss / aids

I went deaf about 1 year after marriage.

Like you, I do have a hard time hearing others when there's more than just a little background noise. I just live with it. If they want me to hear the conversation they'll just speak up.
JEV (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:09 AM
Bronze Member

deand1 is on a distinguished road

I have been wearing hearing aides for several years due to job caused hearing loss. My wife finally got a pair for herself and only uses them in group situations. She got hers at Costco after seeing the audiologist on staff. Not too costly and are in the ear with a small clear tube attached to the electronics behind her ear.

If you need hearing aides, keep in mind they will not bring your hearing back, just amplify the sounds around you. I try to keep anyone talking to me in front of me so I can read their lips as well as hear them.

For watching TV we both have a set of headphones that are wireless with the transmitter connected to the audio-out on the TVs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deand1 For This Useful Post:
MrLiberty (12-03-2015), squerly (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,420 Posts
MrLiberty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by squerly View Post
Anyone besides me suffering from hearing loss? Too many hunting trips without proper hearing protection and too many "over the top" loud concerts in my younger years. Added to the fact that I'm just getting older and the result is difficulty hearing, especially in loud environments or social settings.

Anyone else having these issues and what are you doing to find a solution, anything? Or are you just suffering through and staying away from situations that are difficult to hear in?

Or is it just me?
Like you load concerts, the gun range, ruptured ear drums as a child, and old age have caught up to me. I started losing my hearing about ten years ago, and it got to a point that I needed to do something. I have hearing aids now, (just got some new ones this year,) and they help a lot. Although, in crowded rooms with lots of chatter and background noise, even with the aids it is impossible to hear anything clearly.

What we tolerate today our children will embrace tomorrow
The Following User Says Thank You to MrLiberty For This Useful Post:
squerly (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,549 Posts
mla2ofus is on a distinguished road

After 32 yrs of rock crushers and me being indestructible, I'm two yrs into wearing Miracle Ear hearing aids to the tune of $6k. I'm not endorsing this brand, it's just what I went with. Let me first say they don't replace what you once had. Yes, I can hear better, but as BCZ said I still have difficulty hearing well w/ background noise such as lots of people talking at once in a public place. Mine are the behind the ear w/ the plug in the ear style. Mine have two modes, one for normal environment and one for noisy environments such as loud jukebox music or people talking loud. Each plug has a small hole thru it for phone use, tho since I usually have the phone on my left ear and someone is talking softly I remove the left aid. they said they could incorporate blue tooth for an additional$600, but I said no thanks. My personal feeling on driving and talking on the phone is I just won't do it. If I'm driving and the phone rings while Linda is along I hand the phone to her. If she's not I pull over.
If I'm working in the shop using noisy power tools I can turn them off and put on my muffs. Overall I'm pleased w/ them but as I've already said don't think you'll have the hearing you had fresh out of high school. Besides the hearing loss I also have tinnitis, which for those that don't know, is akin to a constant small leak in an air hose.
HTH,
Mike
Old 12-03-2015, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,171 Times in 566 Posts
JimVT is on a distinguished road

around 2013 that small tube has been replace with a wire and speaker. mine has Bluetooth. the tv connects to them . a lot less cleaning
my dr. said if yours are over 5 yrs old they are obsolete and replace them.
I have to say it's nice to hear the leaves and birds while hunting.
#185 snow trac
2004 pistenbully canyon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimVT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2015, 10:57 AM
Poster Extraordinaire

Thanked 14,460 Times in 5,791 Posts
pirate_girl is on a distinguished road

I wear a mini BTE, left ear.
The Following User Says Thank You to pirate_girl For This Useful Post:
squerly (12-03-2015)
Old 12-03-2015, 12:38 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,223 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

I'm another old geezer that's going deaf for all the same reasons that others have stated. I also have tinnitus which, strangely, doesn't bother me all that much. Most of the time I can shut it out and ignore it.

I've promised my wife that I will get hearing aids sometime soon, probably in the new year but there are so many different makes and types that I am honestly confused as to which is best or which will be best for me. Making a mistake means that you have just flushed $5K down the tubes and there is always something that I can do with that money besides waste it. I'd welcome any advice or recommendations from any of the other deaf, old buggers on this board.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 12-03-2015, 12:56 PM
Bronze Member

deand1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
I'm another old geezer that's going deaf for all the same reasons that others have stated. I also have tinnitus which, strangely, doesn't bother me all that much. Most of the time I can shut it out and ignore it.

I've promised my wife that I will get hearing aids sometime soon, probably in the new year but there are so many different makes and types that I am honestly confused as to which is best or which will be best for me. Making a mistake means that you have just flushed $5K down the tubes and there is always something that I can do with that money besides waste it. I'd welcome any advice or recommendations from any of the other deaf, old buggers on this board.
Visit an audiologist and they will test you and then they will know which is best for you. If you spend the money you can get anything you want with the basic hearing aide.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,549 Posts
mla2ofus is on a distinguished road

I'd like to add mine had to go the shop for some minor repair under the 3 yr warranty. They gave me some to use in the meantime and supposed to be a vast improvement over mine. Yeah, they worked somewhat better, so I asked what the upgrade would cost. Another $5k!! I said "no thanks!!".
In about a year the 3 yr will run out and I'll buy the extended warranty for $98/yr since after warranty it's $250 per aid to go to the shop. It's all about $$ but what can you do, ask for sealed bids??
Mike