• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What year is this Imp?

Eilar302

Hi all, bought and am fixing up and modding a Thiokol Imp. Have no idea what year it is, the ID plate only lists Make/Model Serial, and weights.

Can anyone tell me what year this was made, and exactly what engine this is? I would like to fix it up.

Thiokol Imp 1404, Ser # T4C-903

Thanks!

Eilar302

Well I thought I attached a pic, but this is my first post so maybe not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 431

Eilar302

Yes the bed is off anS10, the prior owner said he did that one. The engine is a Ford V4 but I was actually looking for some more info on that as well. I never even knew they made a V4...

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The engine is Ford industrial. A memeber here has discovered that the Saab Sonnet car use it also. Parts aren't easy or inexpensive for it either. Good motor from what others have said here.

Regards, Kirk

I think they made a number of V4 engines in Europe for cars like the Euro Capri. I have seen Ford V4's on gens and compressors, but I don't know if they were Euro or NA manufactured, and whether they were OEM on the gens or after market cobbled together.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the v4 was imported in to this country in sabb sonnets other wise the only place you will see it is in an industrial application overseas you will see it all over it was a popular mid sized ford motor in cars like the capri and I forgot what that old 4 door model was I saw the gi's driving in korea the v-4 is esentialy a 2.8 ford v6 minus 2 cylinders and were built in the same plant as the v-6 these engines were also known as cologne engines.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
forgot don't get these motors mixed up with the yankee 2.8 v-6 they look similar but the differences become clear.with differences in things like the water pumps.on the v-6 cologne's the heads are interchangeable with it's European brethren but the European castings are stronger and more durable.

Eilar302

Funny that you mention the water pump, actually I need to replace or rebuild this one. I was hoping it would be as simple as taking it off the motor and dropping it on the desk of the local auto part store for a drop-in replacement. Is that overly optimistic?
So far I have put a huge aluminum griffin radiator with electric fan in, and prior owner put in a very large auxiliary heater (basically a mini radiator) with electric fan.
It keeps overheating and I've taken the thermostat completely out already. Going to back flush this afternoon, but once that's done all I have left is the water pump and if that doesn't solve then I guess overhaul the motor.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here's the deal if the water pump still has the impeller on it and it's not leaking it's good. those engines as I remember had the thermostat in the lower radiator hose. this caused them to be prone to vapor locking the cooling system so pull a sensor out of a high spot in the intake and fill with coolant until antifreeze purges all air from the block, than try it. if it still over heats let it cool down, remove the cap start it up and check for a continuous flow of bubbles coming up in the radiator, if you have bubbles this is a good indication of leaking head gasket or cracked head casting. also a restriction in the exhaust system can cause overheating this is rare on a non catalytic converter exhaust but I have seen mufflers deteriorate and start to restrict exhaust

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Somewhere on here there is a detailed post with pics of that engine. Can't remember who posted it. Heck, I can't remember names on a lot of people anymore.

Eilar302

Was worried it might be a head gasket but was going to try the pump first and hope for the best. Bleh, not really looking forward to overhauling the motor. Guess I bought another project! Not what i wanted to hear but thank you for the info you have been very helpful.

Any idea where I can pick up an idler wheel?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
I told you how to check it out. after that pull a head and replace the gasket, get the local machine shop to die check it or magnaflux it, and you are done

Dr. Zaugg

I was looking for something else and ran across a NEW Imp
Radiator and water pump in my stuff that I had forgotten about, if anyone is interested. The pump has a casting number of 11405399 on it.
Paul

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if I were an imp owner I would jump on that right now as thosew parts can be hard to come by