• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First bread competition

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
It's all baked, cooled & bagged. Now off to the Lake County Fair to enter my first ever bread competition. My offerings includes French bread (EPI style), Italian herb sourdough no-knead bread, English muffins, Olive oil Italian bread and Honey whole wheat bread. Wish me luck!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck. There is always stiff competiton at fairs but I'm sure you will do well. It looks pretty darned good.

I love bread .... with lashings of butter, but unfortunately I can't eat it anymore but I do sneak a little piece now and then. I long for the old days.

Once again, good luck and let us know how you fare at the fair. Sorry about that. :biggrin:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks very good JEV. I really think you will do very welll at the fair. Not to mention the ladies will be impressed with your talents.

ETF, WHAT NO BUTTER!! I think you will shorten your life if you use an immatation, spread. Just like eggs we thought were bad for you we are slowly discovering the real deal is still the best, in the long run for you. I think I would ignor that little issue and enjoy one of lifes simple pleasures. Just moderate your usage.....

Regards, Kirk

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Looks very good JEV. I really think you will do very welll at the fair. Not to mention the ladies will be impressed with your talents.

ETF, WHAT NO BUTTER!! I think you will shorten your life if you use an immatation, spread. Just like eggs we thought were bad for you we are slowly discovering the real deal is still the best, in the long run for you. I think I would ignor that little issue and enjoy one of lifes simple pleasures. Just moderate your usage.....

Regards, Kirk

It's not the butter that's the problem, it's the bread. Pure carbs.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Have a loaf of home made Amish bread for French toast this morning. Joe will be up against some tough competition at the fair. Them old farm gals take baking serious. Our county fair starts today. We were up there last night setting up the display for the beekeepers club. Good luck to you Joe.:flowers:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
I stopped by the fair at lunch time, and i took first place in Italian, Wheat, French and Artisan. The English muffins took third in the open muffin class. The ribbons were being affixed this afternoon, so I'll get some pics this evening when we go back. The bakery auction is at 7:30, so I want to see how much my bread goes for. I'll get back later this evening with pics.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
it appears Ipicked the wrong day to give up bread. Yhose look delicious and now I'm off the wagon.

I love fresh breads, no butter just coffee on the side.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I stopped by the fair at lunch time, and i took first place in Italian, Wheat, French and Artisan. The English muffins took third in the open muffin class. The ribbons were being affixed this afternoon, so I'll get some pics this evening when we go back. The bakery auction is at 7:30, so I want to see how much my bread goes for. I'll get back later this evening with pics.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Four out of five!

Jim

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Damn Joe! Now you can truly say you are a prize winning as*hole!:yum::yum::yum:Congrats to you !:clap::clap::clap:

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahh the "rookie" wins!!!

And the ladies in the contest are impressed, or surprised or both.... Good job man!

Regards, Kirk

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Congratulations !!! That is quite the win ! Usually lots of competition at fairs.

I was going to enter a squash I grew in the county fair next week but the $3 first place prize is only about one tenth of what it cost to drive it over there...

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I heard through the grapevine that a couple of the "regulars" thought I was a pro entering the amateur category. That made me feel pretty good.:clap: And the judges said...

Epi style French baguettes.

Olive Oil Italian Bread. Sold at the auction for $11

Honey Whole Wheat bread. Sold at the auction for $20. WOW!!

Italian Herb Sourdough No-Knead bread. Sold at the auction for $10

English Muffins (6). Sold at the auction for $5

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Damn!!!!!

Four firsts out of five entries and the fith one placed third!!!!

I'm speechless. Congratulations!!!!! :wow::wow::wow:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
The legend of Mentor nails it. I could eat some of those muffins right now. Good going Joe.:clap::clap:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Muley, I just finished one of those muffins with a cheese omelet topped with salsa. The recipe makes a dozen, and I only had to show 6 of them. I've gotten hooked on salsa with my eggs. My father used to like the old Heinz Chili Sauce, but I find it pretty expensive compared to Aldi's mild salsa, which is basically the same thing.

As for the baking competition, there really was no competition at all, at least for me, and I'm not being boastful. There were other loaves of bread, but you could tell that the entrants either didn't care what their loaves looked like, or they just didn't know how to make a presentation quality loaf. There was no color to most of the entries. Maybe they don't know that egg wash gives color to the loaf. It was so bad that third place for white bread loaf was taken by a loaf from a bread machine...a square loaf of bread!:shock: Of course, there were only thee loaves of white bread submitted, so everyone got a ribbon. :yum: There was only one loaf of rye bread, so that swept the category.

At least the auction netted $46 for the agriculture building maintenance & renovation fund from my entries. I was flabbergasted that the loaf of Honey Whole Wheat went for $20. It was purchased by one of the gals who oversees the baked goods area, so I'm just wondering if she got to taste it when the judges were doing their thing, or overheard their comments. Regardless, that's a lot of money for a loaf of bread. She also bought the Italian Herb Sourdough for $10. She did tell me that the judges were commenting about how good the bread smelled when they opened the bag to cut off a slice.

That's my 15 minutes of fame, so now it's back to being an asshole...the only other thing that I really excel at.:yum::yum::yum: